I'm new here. Question about black molly...sick? 29 Gallon Tank 

bren84

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

So I have had an aquarium before, but I recently set up my 29 gallon tank again. The only fish I have added so far are 3 tiger barbs, 2 black mollies & 1 dalmation molly. Yesterday, I noticed some very faint white spots on one of the black mollies. It's gills seem to have a thin white line down the opening, and there are a few faint white spots in various parts of the fish. Today, I found the dalmation molly dead in the tank with no warning. I was getting ready to add some more fish, but I'm holding off. I googled pictures of ich & it doesn't look like that (unless it's just not that advanced yet). Any idea what this could be?

I have not done a water change, I have not tested the water because I don't have a test kit right now & I'm not able to get one at the present time. The temp has been pretty steady right around 78-80 degrees. The room the aquarium is in doesn't have any air conditioning, so I turned the heater off a few weeks ago to keep it from getting too warm.

Thanks for any suggestions.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
you need to get a test kit it sounds like poor water perams leading to ich
pics are helpful

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

Is your tank cycled?

The white marks could be nip marks. I've had a few white patches show up on fish after they scraped themselves on something, so I'd imagine the same could be caused by nips. Three tiger barbs are going to be really nippy since the school isn't big enough. I'd rehome either the mollies or the barbs, but definitely not leave then together in that size tank.

If your tank isn't cycled, the ammonia poisoning could've killed the fish.

Can you post a pic?

Definitely do a water change. If you're tank isn't cycled, you'll need to do daily water changes with a product like Prime or Amquel+ to detox the ammonia and nitrites. Only add more fish after you're sure your cycled and after you've rehomed either the barbs or mollies (you'll have a much wider range of choices if the barbs move out).

-Lisa

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to FL

Sorry to hear you molly isn't feeling well. Hope it is better soon.

bren84

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
More info...

So...yes, the tank is cycled.

It is possible that they are nip marks. I have noticed the tiger barbs being a little testy, but I haven't actually seen them nip at the other fish.

As I stated in my original post, buying a new test kit is not an option at the moment. I will do that asap.

Would it hurt to treat for ich not knowing if it's really ich? I would post pics, but the spots are so faint, they don't even show up in pics.

Livebearer Boy

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
it has a bad case of ich.
that's how I felt when my platy got dropsy but lucky no other tank mate got it.

sorry about ur fish

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads