I'm New Here Not Really Sure What I'm Doing! 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by kaitlynnicole94, Apr 18, 2018.

1. k

kaitlynnicole94 New Member Member

This is my current tank setup. It has been completely cycled for a few months and I've just started to add fish about 2 months ago. Let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions?

I have 2 gold gourami, 3 dwarf gourami, 8 corydoras, 10 sunset coral platies and a baby convict cichlid. So far I have had zero problems with the whole tank. I recently adopted 10 newborn Mollys from a friend and I'm thinking about adding them to the tank once they're big enough. Does anyone know of any cheap solutions for hiding places?

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

How big is the aquarium? I'm a bit concerned about the 3 dwarf gourami together. Dwarfs can be aggressive to each other and can injure each other pretty bad. And the convict needs to leave if your going to keep the rest of the fish. The convict will kill everything. Also, it will be very hard to get rid of him when he gets older since they get too big and too agressive.

3. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

That stocking list is interesting to say the least..
    Uh, the convict. I love them but it will sure fire eat everything in your tank once its grown big enough! How big is your tank?

Edit: I see it's a 40g. I totally agree with DutchAquarium. You need to either rehomed the convict or give it a tank on its own. Gourami, are one fish I've never owned, or ever will, so I'll leave that to those who know.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    k

The dwarf gouramis are all from the same tank in the same pet store. They were together in a 10 gallon at the pet store for about a month before I purchased them. I went up once a week and checked on them and they showed no signs of aggression. They're actually a very friendly towards each other. The convict is still too small to eat regular fish food so he isn't a problem for now. I'll probably end up rehoming him eventually. My main concern right now is actually the corydoras. They've tripled in size and mate nonstop. They swim full speed back and forth through the tank, crashing into the gouramis constantly. I'm afraid they're going to end up injuring each other! I'm definitely far from an expert and I appreciate everyone's advice:)

5. Aegnis

Aegnis Valued Member Member

I'd definitely keep an eye on the gouramis -- just because they were in the pet store together doesn't necessarily mean they'll be ok forever. My two male guppies were in a tank together and got along fine for a few months, and then one killed the other. Have a backup plan ready!

I don't know much about corys so I'm afraid I won't be much help there! But good luck with rehoming the convict :)

6. Fishywife

Lmao Cory's are like torpedoes when they get going on one! I have a group of emerald green (brochis) and bronze (aeneus) that shoal together. They just blindly torpedo around the bottom of the 55g and dont care who or what is in the way!

7. OP
    OP
    k

Thank you I really appreciate it

8. OP
    OP
    k

Also, I'm not really sure what kind of corydoras I have! They're longer than my index finger and silver

9. Fishywife

Pic? I may be able to help

10. OP
    OP
    k

My camera is horrible! 20180419_001922.jpg

11. Fishywife

They look like brochis. Emerald greens. Same as mine. If they aren't then they are bronze. Brochis get bigger than most corydora. They look similar, but under a good light brochis have a silvery green shimmer.

12. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

They are Corydoras aeneus on not that suitable substrate.

13. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

Honestly, I wouldn't let that convict get the chance to grow much bigger. They're nice one day, then the next you'll come home to a graveyard tank. When he get aggressive, it'll be game over.

14. OP
    OP
    k

I'm getting a 30-gallon tank this weekend and all I'm putting it is the convict. After its cycle of course

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice