5 Gallon Tank I'm moving 6 hours away! How do I move my betta/tank?

Breelarallen

Hello! I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this. I'm not sure where this question would belong. I'm moving in a month and the drive to our new home will be six hours. How do I pack away my tank and plants? And more importantly, how do I safely move my betta fish? I'm most interested in knowing what supplies I will need, and the process of moving the tank/fish. I also don't know if I should use a fish bag or one of those little betta cups to transport my little friend, and if I do use a bag I don't know which one to buy. Thanks for the help!

CPTropicalAquatics

The betta would probably be okay for a few hours in a bucket if there is an aerator. Just make sure the water isn't splashing all over the place. I'd put some plants in the bucket so it feels at home.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

I would put the substrate, plants, and filter media in a bucket with a lid with some of the tank water. Since it is only 6 hours away the BB should live on them as long as they stay wet. For the fish it might be easier to use a betta cup or a small food grade tupperware with some small holes in the lid. I would make it priority #1 to set up the tank as soon as I got to the new place and keep an eye for a couple weeks for signs of stress, fungus, fin rot, etc.

Upvote 0

Breelarallen

I would put the substrate, plants, and filter media in a bucket with a lid with some of the tank water. Since it is only 6 hours away the BB should live on them as long as they stay wet. For the fish it might be easier to use a betta cup or a small food grade tupperware with some small holes in the lid. I would make it priority #1 to set up the tank as soon as I got to the new place and keep an eye for a couple weeks for signs of stress, fungus, fin rot, etc.

Thanks for the advice! I think I may opt for a small tupperware with holes for the fish. I'm assuming I should hold the tupperware during the drive? To be sure it stays stable.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

It might be best to plan for a delayed journey. Just in case you have to stop overnight having a bucket of conditioned change water available that is from the same source as what the fish is used to might be a simple option?

A polystyrene fish box that shop get new fish in each week should cost almost nothing. That will provide darkness and a stable temperature. A plastic bag is the normal way I take fish to auction.
When going to Sydney it’s a 4 hour drive each way and an all day auction,often returning at 3 am .

Provided the climate at this time of year is reasonable you want need hot water bottles in the polystyrene box.

plastic bags 101.
A plastic bag should have 2/3 air and only 1/3 water.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
peachsonas
  • Question
Replies
Views
Islandvic
  • Question
Replies
Views