I'm lost

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by jmoneyisback, Jul 8, 2015.

1. jmoneyisback

jmoneyisbackValued MemberMember

So I thought I had decided on a Honey Gourami to go with:

8 Pristellas
    6 Aeneus cories
    1 Bolivian Ram

So I went to my LFS this afternoon and was underwhelmed by the selection. Now I'm not sure I want one anymore. They did have some good looking juvenile kribs, but I'm not taking that chance in a 29 gallon. Any ideas on a fish I can add? Or school? Or pair? Or whatever?

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Dwarf gourami, or thick-lipped or banded gourami..... or a golden wonder killifish (provided the pristellas aren't too small to be with them, as they are predatory [the killi])

3. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

How small is too small? I think the smallest pristella is at least an inch.

4. Anders247

Too small. Anything under 2 inches may get eaten, though I have kept mine successfully with neon tetras.

5. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

Hmm. Besides the gouramis, is there anything else?

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Why wouldn't the juvie kribs work?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Anders247

I wouldn't do two species of dwarf cichlids in that small of a tank, so I can't really think of much, but I'm sure other things would work. Maybe a peacock gudgeon?

8. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

From reading other people's experience, it seems it's about a 50/50 shot of getting a krib that can actually be quite aggressive. Don't get me wrong, I would actually prefer the krib. If I tried it, it'd have to be a female as the get 3" while the males can get 4". This is just 29 gallons. I wouldn't hesitate if my tank were larger. I suppose I can get one Saturday and monitor it for a couple days.

9. Anders247

I would do it in a bigger tank, but since there's already a BR in there I wouldn't do it in that small of a tank.

10. SnyperTodd

SnyperToddValued MemberMember

If your smallest Pristella is an inch long, I would bet they'll be fine with the GW Killi. I've got a GW killi in a 72g with a dozen Pristellas that are a little more than an inch (same age as the killi- about 3 years) and they leave each other alone. The killi is an awesome fish, too. He'll eat right from my hand and let my kids pet the top of his head.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Edit: corrected autocorrect's corrections

11. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

How big do these kilifish get? Might have to get some for my own 75g.

12. SnyperTodd

Mine is about 3", maybe a touch over. Full of personally, one of my favorite fish. They like to jump, though, so be aware of that. I've watched mine jump over other fish- totally out of the water- to get a shrimp pellet that was still floating.

13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Lol cool! Sounds like a fish with a lot of personality. My tank needs some of that. Everyone just chills and scavenges near the bottom...

14. SnyperTodd

The killi will stay near the top, though mine occasionally explores the depths of the tank around the driftwood.

15. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Says here they prefer softer water on the acidic side. Not sure about OP but here in California, our water is pretty hard.

16. SnyperTodd

Mine is doing great in my fairly hard Midwest water.
    I'm not really worried about this guy with the Pristella tetras because they're fairly tall for their size. On the other hand, I'm growing out a 1m 2f trio of gw killis for my dad's 150g in another tank with 8 cherry barbs... Those are the ones I'm gonna keep an eye on as the killis grow. They're actually almost big enough to send home with him now, and haven't bothered the cherry barbs at all (yet).

17. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

**Let's not forget whose thread this is.**
    By asking our own questions it takes the focus away from the OP.

18. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

I have hard water. pH is around 8.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

19. SnyperTodd

My pH is also around 8, and my killi is thriving.

20. Anders247

My killifish is fine in my pH of around 8, and the GH is over 350 (ridiculously high).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice