I'm lost

jmoneyisback

So I thought I had decided on a Honey GouramI to go with:

8 Pristellas
6 Aeneus cories
1 Bolivian Ram

So I went to my LFS this afternoon and was underwhelmed by the selection. Now I'm not sure I want one anymore. They did have some good looking juvenile kribs, but I'm not taking that chance in a 29 gallon. Any ideas on a fish I can add? Or school? Or pair? Or whatever?

Anders247

Dwarf gourami, or thick-lipped or banded gourami..... or a golden wonder killifish (provided the pristellas aren't too small to be with them, as they are predatory [the killi])

jmoneyisback

Anders247 said:
Dwarf gourami, or thick-lipped or banded gourami..... or a golden wonder killifish (provided the pristellas aren't too small to be with them, as they are predatory [the killi])
How small is too small? I think the smallest pristella is at least an inch.

Anders247

Too small. Anything under 2 inches may get eaten, though I have kept mine successfully with neon tetras.

jmoneyisback

Anders247 said:
Too small. Anything under 2 inches may get eaten, though I have kept mine successfully with neon tetras.
Hmm. Besides the gouramis, is there anything else?

Dom90

Why wouldn't the juvie kribs work?

Anders247

jmoneyisback said:
Hmm. Besides the gouramis, is there anything else?
I wouldn't do two species of dwarf cichlids in that small of a tank, so I can't really think of much, but I'm sure other things would work. Maybe a peacock gudgeon?

jmoneyisback

Dom90 said:
Why wouldn't the juvie kribs work?
From reading other people's experience, it seems it's about a 50/50 shot of getting a krib that can actually be quite aggressive. Don't get me wrong, I would actually prefer the krib. If I tried it, it'd have to be a female as the get 3" while the males can get 4". This is just 29 gallons. I wouldn't hesitate if my tank were larger. I suppose I can get one Saturday and monitor it for a couple days.

Anders247

jmoneyisback said:
From reading other people's experience, it seems it's about a 50/50 shot of getting a krib that can actually be quite aggressive. Don't get me wrong, I would actually prefer the krib. If I tried it, it'd have to be a female as the get 3" while the males can get 4". This is just 29 gallons. I wouldn't hesitate if my tank were larger. I suppose I can get one Saturday and monitor it for a couple days.
I would do it in a bigger tank, but since there's already a BR in there I wouldn't do it in that small of a tank.

SnyperTodd

If your smallest Pristella is an inch long, I would bet they'll be fine with the GW Killi. I've got a GW killI in a 72g with a dozen Pristellas that are a little more than an inch (same age as the killi- about 3 years) and they leave each other alone. The killI is an awesome fish, too. He'll eat right from my hand and let my kids pet the top of his head.

Edit: corrected autocorrect's corrections

Dom90

How big do these kilifish get? Might have to get some for my own 75g.

SnyperTodd

Mine is about 3", maybe a touch over. Full of personally, one of my favorite fish. They like to jump, though, so be aware of that. I've watched mine jump over other fish- totally out of the water- to get a shrimp pellet that was still floating.

Dom90

Lol cool! Sounds like a fish with a lot of personality. My tank needs some of that. Everyone just chills and scavenges near the bottom...

SnyperTodd

The killI will stay near the top, though mine occasionally explores the depths of the tank around the driftwood.

Dom90

Says here they prefer softer water on the acidic side. Not sure about OP but here in California, our water is pretty hard.

SnyperTodd

Mine is doing great in my fairly hard Midwest water.
I'm not really worried about this guy with the Pristella tetras because they're fairly tall for their size. On the other hand, I'm growing out a 1m 2f trio of gw killis for my dad's 150 gallon in another tank with 8 cherry barbs... Those are the ones I'm gonna keep an eye on as the killis grow. They're actually almost big enough to send home with him now, and haven't bothered the cherry barbs at all (yet).

Lucy

**Let's not forget whose thread this is.**
By asking our own questions it takes the focus away from the OP.

jmoneyisback

Dom90 said:
Says here they prefer softer water on the acidic side. Not sure about OP but here in California, our water is pretty hard.
I have hard water. pH is around 8.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

SnyperTodd

jmoneyisback said:
I have hard water. pH is around 8.
My pH is also around 8, and my killI is thriving.

Anders247

My killifish is fine in my pH of around 8, and the GH is over 350 (ridiculously high).

jmoneyisback

I think I'm gonna try my luck with a female krib. At under 3.5", they don't get as big as the males.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Dom90

Good choice! They're so beautiful and cute-looking.

Anders247

Good choice!

Geoff

Pictures when you're done!

jmoneyisback

Geoff

Oh wow, beautiful!

Anders247

Nice krib!

jmoneyisback

Anders247 said:
Nice krib!
Thank you. She stayed under the driftwood for a while, then started exploring. Then she started following the ram around and a few of the tetras were following her. So far, so good.

Dom90

Nice! Showing some pink on the belly already.

jmoneyisback

Dom90 said:
Nice! Showing some pink on the belly already.
I watched them for about an hour yesterday, making sure everything was good. After transitioning her, it didn't take her long to start exploring. The BR immediately came up to her to investigate and nobody got jumpy or fidgety. She's looking good.

Top Bottom