I'm Lost Here

1. B

Bettaeverything New Member Member

Hi everybody,

Hopes everyone has a great day. I'm still confused on fish less cycling.
    I was thinking of buying Dr.tim All in one nitrifying bacteria and ammonia.
    Questions: Do I change the water 100% after the cycle is successful? But doesn't that get rid of all the bacteria created in the first place? and what is the range you want your tank to be at for nitrate (0-20ppm)?
    Someone could explain fishless cycling, that would be very much helpful.
    Thank you in advance.

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Dr. tims all in one nitrifying bacteria will speed up the process, but it won't happen right away.
    Do not do a 100% water change after cycle is complete. I would do a 10% a week maybe.
    Nitrates from 0-20 is fine i like at least 5 if i can help it.
    Fishless cycling is doing the cycle process without fish. Normally you don't want fish in your aquarium during this time if you can help it.

3. GuppyDazzle

GuppyDazzle Valued Member Member

I don't believe cycle starters work. I don't think you'll believe it either if you look at the constant stream of posts from people using cycle starters who can't figure out why their tanks won't cycle. You never, ever see anyone saying, "I'm not using any cycle starters, and I can't figure out why my tank won't cycle."

I always did fish-in cycles, 25% water changes every other day, and all my tanks cycled within five or six weeks, with no problems and no ill effect on the fish. The bacteria will form naturally on its own, which in my experience is the best way to cycle a tank. You can do fishless. Just add a few drops of pure ammonia every day, or just put in some food and it will convert to ammonia. From what I see on here, using cycle starter or bacteria in a bottle will do nothing but make you tear out your hair.

4. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

And actually, i've had better experiences with the nitrifying bacteria. Usually it takes my cycles down to 2 weeks.

5. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

After you establish your cycle, I would still dose ammonia for one more week so you know the bacteria is stable.

A lot of people get a cycle going for it to only crash when they get fish due to adding too man6 fish at first.

6. GuppyDazzle

GuppyDazzle Valued Member Member

I have heard from others that the additives work. I'm just astounded by the number of people every day who keep dumping stuff in and nothing good happens.

Do you know how they keep the bacteria alive in the bottle? I'm real curious about that.

7. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I think that they have a food source in the bottle(ammonia I think) and they just don’t let the bacteria freeze or boil.