I'm looking to use sand for my corydoras. Can I get a product name

1. Jiggyjigmah Member Member

I live in a border town, so can hop over to the U.S. if the product is not sold here in Canada. Just looking for the best sand substrate, as this is going to be a cory tank.

2. delta5 Well Known Member Member

3. renthus Well Known Member Member

4. Absntmind Initiate Member

Play sand works well and is a bit darker than pool filter sand. If you rinse it properly it works great and is very cheap.

5. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Seriously OP. Get pool filter sand. Its very good for first time sand users, as it is coarse enough for any fish, plant, ect. Its heavy enough to not get sucked up by your filters, less likely to develop poison pockets verse sandbox sand, and is WAY easier to handle when cleaning poop off of it. ONLY reason to buy sand from a lfs is if you're doing saltwater fish.

6. renthus Well Known Member Member

Not true. I use Aragonite sand for any tank that needs a higher ph, like goby tanks.

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

As others have said, if you can get pool filter sand locally go for that, a lot of cory keepers use it.

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Yep, but Corys don't need higher Ph. Read another thread about Corys having problems on Argonite (in fact marine-sand) leacking calcite (calcium). Poolfilter sand is silicium and perfect for Corys. Using the smallest and middle sized grains. Liking the last most . ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405148454.292870.jpg

9. renthus Well Known Member Member

I agree, but I wasn't responding in the context of the OP's specific query. I was responding to the "there is no reason", which was evidently also said beyond the context of the OP's query because the exception provided there was saltwater, which will also make corys quite dead.

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Got it !!