I'm Just Not Happy. Idea?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Eirelav_mcgoo, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Eirelav_mcgoo

Eirelav_mcgoo Valued Member Member

Now that we are fully stocked, somewhat properly equipped, and sufficiently exhausted ourself physically and financially, I thought we could relax. The boyfriend thought we could relax. But there's something odd. The flow of the tank isn't right. Any ideas how we can adjust what we have or (without breaking the bank) change what we've got? It is soil with a sand cap.
    Also, our catfish stay to the left side where the big piece of drift stands upright. They rarely travel to the right side. I'm worried they are limiting themselves.

Attached Files:

2. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Not sure what the white object is in the middle of the tank, but I would try removing it and look at the tank for a few days without it. My eye just keeps going to it rather than looking at the rest of the tank. The only other thing that I would recommend is if you are able to remove the background. Sometimes changing that can make a dramatic change for the tank. :)

Your tank is lovely to look at! I do understand that sometimes your tank is needing some sort of change to it. My tank drove me crazy till my little plants started growing.

3. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Are we talking about water flow or aquascape flow?

I would suggest a canister filter for tank upwards of 50gals, they have better flow and cover the entire tank, more so than a HOB anyways. If not a canisters filter, then perhaps a wave maker placed on the end with the weakest flow.

As for aquascape flow, remove the white rock and replace it with some branching driftwood, something like spider wood or grape wood, lots of knobs and such would look nice. The two pieces of wood on the right side look angled oddly, I move them around a bit, having the pointed ends facing left perhaps. Maybe even switch the two around, so you've got the largest piece on the left, then the other two in descending order of size. It's not a bad idea to have the majority of hardscape on one end and then just a few small pieces on the other, creating refuge and then a more open area for swimming.

4. OP
    OP
    Eirelav_mcgoo

Eirelav_mcgoo Valued Member Member

Thank you! I've spent more money than my boyfriend would like lol. "Happy wife, happy life"

Hmm, we kept the rock for the snails. This is what it looked like before. We had mondo grass but it had started to melt (typical of a terrestrial plant). I'm trying to angle the wood around the plants. But I may have to bite the bullet and try to move some around. I dont like doing that because the dirt escapes the sand cap and clogs up my filter.

As for fitleration and flow, right now we have the aqueon HOB power 75, a sponge filter rated for 60gallons and a wavemaker. I think I've achieved pretty good flow at this point. Probably mid summer I'll switch to a canister. I hear great things about the sunsun canisters, Ebay.com sells them for under $100 but Ebay.ca is almost as much as a fluval pr better (around 300).

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice