I'm in over my head, i think. help???

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by grelsner96, Jul 10, 2014.

  1. grelsner96New MemberMember

    Hi guys,
    I have a number of questions as I just bought a 90gallon tank from someone on a site like craigslist. I am "upgrading" from a 10 gallon, so its a HUGE step literally.
    The lady had saltwater fish, and I'm doing freshwater. I got this big filter, is this ok for freshwater? :

    Second question, It's a long story, but she didn't have the tube that connects to it that actually goes into the water. She has it, but she wants $30 for it. I dont know if I should buy it, or if I can get one cheaper. It looked like two long clear tubes that connect to the filter at one end with two prongs, and the other end actually goes from the filter to the water to intake/outlet the water. Does anyone know that the name of this part is called so I can shop online for it? I tried to find a picture but I only found parts of it, not it all assembled.

    Last question, the tank has a top (of course), but the top is divided into four pieces. Two glass pieces for the back half of the top, which aren't meant to be moved as much. And the front two panels are plastic, with a know on it to obviously life up to feed and check water, etc. Well, on my way home, one of the glass pieces broke! I don't know how should I replace it at the lowest cost? Go to a local glass store and bring the other glass piece and ask if they can make a cheap piece of glass? The glass has a black piece around it for support, so they'd have to special make a piece to fit in the black support. Since I don't know the model number of the actual tank, I can't search for replacement part of the hood....

    Thank you in advance for any advice! I'm a little overwhelmed so any help is appreciated
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  2. Claire Bear

    Claire BearWell Known MemberMember

    Hi and welcome
    Congratulations on the upgrade. If you want to replace the glass with another piece of glass, that would be fine. Like you mention, take the piece in with you and you can order the part that is plastic and fits the glass (the part that can be trimmed to allow filters and such).
    The filter looks like one I had. I think you just need to replace the media and you will be fine. However, as far as the lines, it might be less but if she has the spray bar and end piece for an intake, I might go ahead and pick it up to save the hassle!
  3. Rivieraneo

    RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

    Hello greisner96, welcome to FIshlore! That filter would work great on your new to you 90 gallon tank. I would make sure to rinse the tank really well to wash out any old residue and salt. I would flush the filter really well with clean water and replace all the media. I dont think you will find the hoses along with the connection sleeves cheaper anywhere else, so I would purchase them as well, though in reality, the hoses and connections should have came included with the filter. Best of luck, dont forget to post pictures when its all set up. Thanks.
  4. Dolfan

    DolfanFishlore VIPMember

    If you bought a "tank setup" from someone that included the filter, it should include all the parts for said filter. It sounds like they are trying to hold you hostage and get extra money out of you now. That is pretty shady on the sellers part. It's hard to tell what you are describing, maybe some photos would help. But it sounds like the inlet tube or intake tube. I would try googling the brand name of the filter with the word parts after it and see what comes up online.

    Glass store would be best bet for the glass piece, should be pretty cheap maybe $10 or $20.

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice