I'm in a weird situation now....

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by thefishdude277, Jul 13, 2015.

1. thefishdude277

thefishdude277Well Known MemberMember

So my friend owns his own betta sorority in a 5 gallon!!!!!!
    He said that he doesn't want the bettas anymore, and he's willing to give it to me
    So here's my plan:
    Rehome my red betta (to my uncle) and clear out his 5 gallon
    Move my turquoise betta from his 10 gallon to the 5 gallon
    Clear out the 10 gallon and put the females in there
    I know this is risky to have a sorority in a 10 gallon, but I don't have room for a 20 gallon :|
    He's giving me 4 females btw. How many more females could I put to spread out the aggression? I know 4 bettas isn't enough

So here's the plan:
    Get terra cotta pots
    Hornwort
    Gravel or sand
    I'm kind of worried that the bettas will eat the sand and....die

And FYI, he's keeping the 5 gallon for ADF

:)

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

_Fried_Bettas_ might know, hope I tagged him right. Good luck with it and sounds interesting! Keep us posted on how it goes! :D

3. OP
    OP
    thefishdude277

First we have to see if I can rehome the red betta first

4. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

I have been told you need 9 female bettas for a sorority. I think a 20g would be too small for that. I think a 29 or a 30 would be best.

5. OP
    OP
    thefishdude277

I don't have room for that
    I have the 10 gallon though, not a 20 gallon

6. alink

Okay..

So you have a red betta that will go to your uncle, which will give you a 5 gallon tank.
    Is your Turquoise a male or female?
    Do you have room for a 2nd 10 gallon? You get 2 dividers and put one in each, making four 5 gallon tanks and 1 betta in each?

7. OP
    OP
    thefishdude277

The turquoise is a male. And he can't be divided, since he loves to jump, and he's recovering from fin biting
    And now I can't have another 10 gallon

8. alink

Okay. Well I'm not recommending this, but just showing you that it has been done..

9. OP
    OP
    thefishdude277

Ok so I'll get a total of 7 bettas?

And yes, I know this is risky, but I have no choice
    He's one of those friends that don't give away stuff to people he doesn't know. He trusts me, so he's giving it to me.
    Just a clarification ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  10. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

I have my doubts about this whole project. But if you have 4 bettas that have been getting along, I wouldn't add any new ones and change the dynamics between the ones you have, although simply changing tanks might do that. I advise you put some plants in there that may make places to hide, a plant with some density like water wisteria in the middle.

My first attempt at a betta sorority was with 4 girls in a tank, just a little bigger, a 15 gallon tall. They got along just fine (2 months) until I added 2 more and they started killing each other.

11. OP
    OP
    thefishdude277

12. OP
    OP
    thefishdude277

The problem is that the 4 bettas don't really get along in the first place. That's why I want to get more to spread out the
    aggression. And yea, I have a little doubt on this too :(
    I'm adding hornwort, so that will grow crazy... I'm thinking of frogbit too. Or maybe even some anubias and Java Fern

13. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

I haven't seen this kind of situation work, accept when they have all grown up together as fry. You will see a lot of people post examples of success, but they don't tend to tell you when it all crashes unexpectedly. Adding new bettas of a different source and age, well, I strongly advise against it, well the whole project altogether. Would rather see you divide the tank 4 ways, if they must all fit in there.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  14. OP
    OP
    thefishdude277

He got then just 2 weeks ago
    And my lfs sells older bettas too...

Ok, so how many bettas should I get?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
  15. FishtailBraidValued MemberMember

Could you divide the 10-gallon four ways for the females? Since 2.5 gallons is the minimum for a betta, is there any reason this couldn't be done? If anything, I imagine a divided 10-gallon would have more water parameter stability than a single 2.5 gallon, but I could be wrong as I am quite new to fish-keeping. :)

ETA: Also, if you divided your 5-gallon two ways, this could also solve the need to rehome the red betta (if that's not possible) - however, I haven't heard much about keeping 2 bettas in 5 gallons.

16. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I would not put 2 bettas in a 10 gallon without a divider, let alone a 5 gallon. That's a bloodbath just waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

17. BornThisWayBettas

It's a sorority........

18. OP
    OP
    thefishdude277

Guys, I'm not dividing the tanks
    They'd be stressed out seeing eachother through the divider
    And I don't like seeing bettas in such a small space, since 2.5 gallons is pretty crampy when you divide a tank

19. BornThisWayBettas

I probably wouldn't be dividing the tank, either. :)

20. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ok but 10 gallons is still way too small for 4 bettas.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice