I'm in a compete state of shock!!!!

barbiespoodle

In my household which is only myself and my hubby, I'm the aquarium nut and the hubby is the voice of reason as far as keeping the house from becoming wall to wall tanks, I do have quite a small house.
My mouth about hit the ground today when he said that maybe the 10 gallon cull shrimp/wcmm tank needed to be bigger. It's not that I didn't agree, the cull shrimp have been very prolific and the plants are growing out of bounds, I just never thought he would take enough interest to think the same thing and then actually suggest it.
First we did the goodwill store jump, 3 stores in a 20 mile radius, after all, that is where we found the 20 gallon blue tank, but nothings but 10 gallons.
Then I did an on-line search of a number of lfs. I managed to find a 20 long at one store and the hood at another store for a very reasonable price.
So my day off was spent not only doing the current tanks maintenance, finding and shopping for hydra killers in the red tank, but now a 20 mile loop around my house to pick up the new tank and hood after an hour long drive to pick up his favorite burgers (he deserved them), moving the current 10 gallon tank to a new location so the 20 long can be set in place, moving in a 60's era record player and radio cabinet out of storage to hold the tank and then filling the new tank to make sure it holds water. I'm a bit on the tired side right now since I've been up since 1am doing all this, 17 hours so far.
But tomorrow I'll start the dirted tank cycling process and will be sitting on pins and needles until I can move all the plants and residents of the 10 gallon to it, I think they are going to love it.

SallImSayin

Sounds like a good day. I've never done dirted, myself, but I imagine plant growth would be superior.

richiep

Best of luck it would be interesting to have all this in pictures and who's shouting at who while the tension builds and the move takes place lol

Dunk2

richiep said:
Best of luck it would be interesting to have all this in pictures and who's shouting at who while the tension builds and the move takes place lol
Agreed, but a video might be more entertaining.

JettsPapa

That's great. Now if my wife shows an interest in my tanks we'll know the Apocalypse is imminent.

Dunk2

JettsPapa said:
That's great. Now if my wife shows an interest in my tanks we'll know the Apocalypse is imminent.
Please keep us updated.

Dechi

Way to go hubby !

barbiespoodle

Day two. I was up at 2:30 am because I couldn't keep all the things I still had to do to set up this tank out of mind, so sleep was a mute point. And since I actually got 2 days in a row off for a change, I had to get things done today. But to be fair, I'm an night owl to start with and since I start work at 5 or 6 am, I'm always up early anyhow.

So I went through the check list. Dirt for the bottom? check. Substrate to cover the dirt? check. Sponge filters? Well a couple that will do for now and then put in an order in for better ones, check. Air pumps for these filters? Again, ones that will do for now and researching a better one, check. Airline tubing? well dang it, not enough, so on to an on-line search for the store opening the soonest for that. Long enough line of the python automatic siphon refill system since it is now not a simple 10 gallon and I'm too old to be hauling buckets of water? Again dang it, got to figure out how to make it longer, figured it out and now yet another trip to another store for the fix. Got the fix 90% right, or at least right enough to work, still need a few other things to make the fix 100%, but that's for another day, can make do for now with the daily water changes during the cycling process.

Fast forward and I finally have the tank in it's first day of cycling. What I thought should be simple fixes to all the problems of course weren't, but got it all under control and am now in a good place as far as the new tank.

The thing I'm most looking forward to is how the wcmm's are going to react when they are put in the new tank. They are such active little fish and moving them from a 10 gallon to a 20 long is going to give them so much more room to dart about. I've really become a fan of them. Not only are they pretty, but they have had no impact on how much the cull shrimp have reproduced.

richiep

Tbh I don't think you'll find the wcmm have any impact on your shrimp
Wheres the pictures

barbiespoodle

richiep said:
Tbh I don't think you'll find the wcmm have any impact on your shrimp
Wheres the pictures
You're right, they seem to have no impact on the shrimp. When I first set up the 10 gallon cull shrimp tank, I wanted to do something different and try some fish in with the shrimp. My figuring was that since they are cull shrimp I wasn't going to get all upset if the experiment didn't work ("don't judge me", a quote from some sit com). I wanted neon tetra's, but couldn't find them. But then I saw some baby wcmm's and remembered some good comments on them. The rest is history. The wcmm's grew up and showed their true colors, which is beautiful, I've become a big fan of them, the cull shrimp reproduced in huge numbers to the point they are as an active part of the tank as the wcmm's.

I just think the wcmm's are going to enjoy all the extra length of the 20 long compared to their 10 gallon, I could have gone with the 20 gallon high cheaper and easier to set up, but took the needs of these little charmers in consideration.

And I'm more than sure the cull shrimp will continue to be prolific and continue to multiply. They have been an captivating experiment. I never know what kind of interesting color or pattern I end up with, it's really a never ending kaleidoscope.

Pics will come as the tank progress's. Right now, day two, it's just a barren tank with dirt, sand, and two sponge filters. But in the next few weeks, I'm be adding plants, drift wood and all that good stuff. That is when I'll be posting pics.

barbiespoodle

K, remember, this tank is still being cycled, less than a week so far and way far from finished. But here are the first pics so you can see where I am going with it. Disregard the curtains in the back, I will be putting on a background. And the dish is only there as an aid to do water changes so I don't disturb the sand.

20 gallon long, which is 30" long. Dirted bottom, sand over lay. The first wood is curly hazel wood from my gardens, have used it in all my tanks with success, and not necessary in it's final resting place, just there for now to get water logged.

Plans to add java moss to the hazel wood to soften it's outline. From there, I'll slowly be adding the plants, rocks, and driftwood from the 10 gallon this is being replaced with. Will be subwassertang, dwarf sags, anubia's, java fern, Christmas moss, crypts, some sort of carpet plant, and a piece of driftwood that is already planted with many of the above. Up in the air about the amazon sword in the 10 for the simple reason, it is so tall. I have a feeling that one might end up in the 55 gallon community and I'll find a shorter type of amazon sword, I think I have one already in the 55 that will work, or maybe a shorter anubia's, have a bit of time to decide.

So far I think I have a plan for this tank. Over all, I think the wcmm's and shrimp will love all the extra space. And truth be known, I'm loving figuring out how to decorate this tank, lol

barbiespoodle

Update.

Finally got the tank cycled enough by using hardscape, plants and established tank water enough to start moving the residents from the 10 gallon to the new 20 gallon long.

Been doing it slowly, a couple wcmm's here, a few shrimp there. Kind of a day to day thing,

All the while I've been moving this or that to do the decorating thing, all natural.

Not done yet, still have this and that to rearrange, plants to add, around 6 cubic yards of subwasertang to fit in and about 637 shrimp to move over, (or course being silly here) but I'm getting there.

Here is the most recent pic.

Personally I'm kind of liking where the tank is going. Still has some growing up to do, but so far (knock on wood) so good.

The pic doesn't show the actually amount of shrimp I've already added in. Not to mention the amount I still have to add in.

barbiespoodle

Next update.

Yikes! I did not know how many shrimp I actually had until I started the process of moving them into the new tank.

I started moving them in slowly, maybe 20 a day. Meanwhile the old tank is still going to support the ones left behind. I now realize that 20 a day was unrealistic, there are just too many. Got to remember, they are still reproducing the whole time.

So today I pulled up a comfy chair in front of the old tank and went on an all out search and destroy mission to get as many shrimp as I can. I finally gave up after about an hour and what has to be over a hundred, I'm sure a lot more, shrimp of various colors and sizes. And there are still even more. This is going to take a while.

Right now they are drip acclimating to be added to the 20 long.

I'm so hyped about this tank, I'm happy with the aquascaping I've done so far and the wcmm's seem to love all the extra length to zip around in. I know I'm going to be even more happy when the shrimp are finally all added in and are more noticeable.

Side note. The original 10 gallon that I've upgraded to this new tank also had a pair of panda cory's. Because I had an unexpected saving of albino cory eggs from the brat angel fish (thanks to the hubby who just had to save them) and actually had success at raising some fry, the hubby decided he wanted to do the same with the panda's (he's into the panda's). So I set up another tank with the intent of it being a panda cory breeding tank months ago. Except I couldn't find panda's to save my life until 3 days ago and quite a distance from me and bought 6 to make a total of 8. So once they grow up enough to breed and lay eggs, the adults will also be added to the tank and the eggs left in their tank to grow up. Or at least that's the plan, a nice herd of panda's in the 20 long along with the wcmm's and shrimp. I think they will be happy with the length of the tank, the plants and sand substrate.

barbiespoodle

Dang it, I can't win!

I just finished a 7 day in a row stretch at work where I was basically the only one doing all the hard work and I'm so very tired and sore. Believe me, someone of my age shouldn't be hauling 60 pound boxes as well as the technical and organizing side of things, but tell that to the young boys watching me do it, when they decide to show up for work. (sorry, resentful here, just venting).

But I figure since I finally have a day off tomorrow, I was going to do most of the dismantling of the old tank so I could get at least most of the rest of the shrimp out and into their new home. The ones already moved are so happy and are wonderful to watch, I am loving where this tank is going.

Or at least that was the plan until my furnace decided it didn't want to work. Granted it's not in the middle of winter like the last time, but it's still pretty cool right now, we are expecting snow soon. And of course the parts needed to fix it are hard to find (there goes my covid hazard bonus pay because of my job I just got).

So I don't want to disturb the shrimp which are in a heated tank and put them through drip acclimation in a cold house.

Oh well, just wanted to vent. It will all work out in the end I'm sure. It's just so frustrating and since I'm already tired and sore, it's hitting me harder than it should.

Thanks for listening.

richiep

It's good to have a good blow out now and again

JettsPapa

It sounds like you're working with some young men who weren't raised right.

barbiespoodle

Thanks all. And I'm sorry, I just need to vent at the time.

Furnace still broken, still waiting on a part to fix it and the house has only got down to 50 degrees F thanks to the fireplace and space heaters which means I don't have to worry about pipes freezing. And hey, I sleep better in a cold room, got to look on the good side of things, lol. That might change when we get the 30 degree F days they predict, or we run out of firewood, but for now it's still on the brighter side.

I'm closely watching the tanks. All have heaters and so far haven't got below 68 degrees F and so far all the aquatic life I keep are managing. I'm just making sure I feed less since the lower temps have decreased their metabolic rate.

Meanwhile, I'm liking where I'm going with the new tank. Here is a pic I took just a few minutes ago.

barbiespoodle

Next update.

Furnace finally got fixed late yesterday. All I can say is that I gave a huge sigh of relief. I'm down with a head cold and having some heat is helping in that respect.

Now for a few personal opinions on a thought I've had with the new tank. Don't be shy, tell me what you think, I will listen.

Tank specs.

20 long, which is 30 inches long but only 13 inches high. 2 double sponge filters. Dirted bottom covered with sand. Various woods and rocks. Semi heavily planted at this point, but will become more on the heavy side as the plants grow. Current residents, 7 wcmm's, lots of shrimp and snails. Future residents, 8 panda corys once they lay eggs in their current breeding tank.

Here's where I need some opinions. I've always wanted neon tetras. On the other hand, I'm totally charmed with the wcmm's. If this was your tank, would you add a school of neon's or just add a few more wcmm's. And when you add your opinion, also figure in not over stocking the tank.

And if anyone has an opinion as to another fish, please pipe in. I'm liking where this tank is going, but my artistic side is saying it's not quite complete yet.

richiep

So now the furnace is fixed you temperatures are about to rise to the hottest April in history, all that fuss lol
Anyway I have neo tetra an wcmm in my cull tank with little to no impact so the choice is yours

MySquishy

barbiespoodle said:
K, remember, this tank is still being cycled, less than a week so far and way far from finished. But here are the first pics so you can see where I am going with it. Disregard the curtains in the back, I will be putting on a background. And the dish is only there as an aid to do water changes so I don't disturb the sand.

20 gallon long, which is 30" long. Dirted bottom, sand over lay. The first wood is curly hazel wood from my gardens, have used it in all my tanks with success, and not necessary in it's final resting place, just there for now to get water logged.

Plans to add java moss to the hazel wood to soften it's outline. From there, I'll slowly be adding the plants, rocks, and driftwood from the 10 gallon this is being replaced with. Will be subwassertang, dwarf sags, anubia's, java fern, Christmas moss, crypts, some sort of carpet plant, and a piece of driftwood that is already planted with many of the above. Up in the air about the amazon sword in the 10 for the simple reason, it is so tall. I have a feeling that one might end up in the 55 gallon community and I'll find a shorter type of amazon sword, I think I have one already in the 55 that will work, or maybe a shorter anubia's, have a bit of time to decide.

So far I think I have a plan for this tank. Over all, I think the wcmm's and shrimp will love all the extra space. And truth be known, I'm loving figuring out how to decorate this tank, lol
Love the Currier and Ives dish in the tank my great grandmother had those plates.

Mar1111

I'd be careful about adding too many more fish, maybe could get away with 7 neons since you really want them. From the voice of experience, please quarantine them first. I didn't the last time and lost 4, they can and do get sick.

I love what you've done! My culls are in with female guppies and most babies don't make it to adulthood. But I also love the colors the survivors become! Great job!

Dechi

barbiespoodle said:
Furnace finally got fixed late yesterday.
I haven’t read the whole thing and I thought Furnace was your dog. I spend too much time on dog forums, lol !

barbiespoodle

Dechi said:
I haven’t read the whole thing and I thought Furnace was your dog. I spend too much time on dog forums, lol !
Too funny. I do have a habit of coming up with strange names for my fur babies. Right now my standard poodle is Roland, long story there, and also have Eustace just because he looked like a Eustace (don't ask me what a Eustace looks like, but he looks like one). Through the many years I've had a Miss Pops, a Monet, a Dizzy, a Bronwyn, a Gee, a Roscoe, a Whatsit, and many others, but sure never thought of calling any of them furnace. But if I did, it would be fixed, lol.

JettsPapa

barbiespoodle said:
Too funny. I do have a habit of coming up with strange names for my fur babies. Right now my standard poodle is Roland, long story there, and also have Eustace just because he looked like a Eustace (don't ask me what a Eustace looks like, but he looks like one). Through the many years I've had a Miss Pops, a Monet, a Dizzy, a Bronwyn, a Gee, a Roscoe, a Whatsit, and many others, but sure never thought of calling any of them furnace. But if I did, it would be fixed, lol.
My wife came home with two kittens a few months ago. Our 3-year-old grandson promptly named them Broccoli and Ghost.

Mar1111

JettsPapa said:
My wife came home with two kittens a few months ago. Our 3-year-old grandson promptly named them Broccoli and Ghost.
Creative young man!!

barbiespoodle

JettsPapa said:
Being a 3 year old, if he came up with the name Broccoli, he's either one of those rare children that actually like broccoli (my God daughters love the stuff, but I haven't met a child since who does) or he hates that particular kitten, lol.

One of my favorite unusual names was a cat called Rabbit. I use to breed show rabbits and when I went to pick up a especially nice buck to add to my herds breeding program, I looked into a horse stall that was housing a Saint Bernard. In the Bernards mouth was a tiny 6 toed, bobbed tail, dwarf, kitten (all good, the mother cat had the litter in the stall and the Bernard was a second mom). I was in love instantly and the kitten ended up in the rabbit carrier. All the way home she was meowing and I kept saying, "shut up you ugly rabbit", thus the name. The vet said with all her physical deformities as well as obviously being mentally disabled, she would never see her 2nd year. She was 16 yrs old when I had to put her down after a stroke. She still remains on the top of my list of my favorite cats, she was special in a way that was unique to her, and even after all this time, I still miss her.

barbiespoodle

I'm at the end game of this tank (being a big time Marvel fan, I've started using the term "end game" a lot since I think that is one of those ultimate movies), lol.

Anyhow, I do think that I have achieved the look I was going for. Considering it is still just a cull shrimp tank, I think it's turned out to my prettiest tank. Other than basic care and plant trimming, I think I'm done with the tank.

Here are a couple pics I took just a few minutes ago, just wish they show the actually amount of shrimp in the tank. The silly little things are all over the tank.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom