Im Having trouble keeping bristlenose plecos

Eschnee

Hello im new to the hobby and have been having a good time with my tank. i have a 20 long that has 4 rummy nose and 4 leopard danios with 1 oto, with live plants.
over the last 2 weeks, I have gotten 2 albino bristlenose plecos the first was a small one maybe only an inch and a half. within the first few days, its stomach became huge almost as half as him, and died shortly after. I did a water change and tested my water and everything seems fine.

I really like plecos so I got another one this one was maybe 2 and a half inches and for the first couple days, he moved around and was having a good time and then sat on the ground for over a day. I found him this morning also dead with his stomach looking like it had poped or caved in and there were lots of brown particles underneath.
I have no idea what is happing the other fish are fine. I fed them both algae wafers and zucchini witch they seemed to like.

I love plecos and would really like to have one but I feel bad to buy one and have it die in my tank. Any help would be much appreciated.

Tup

Could be dropsy, overfeeding, not properly cycling the tank or strange bacteria in the tank though I have probably missed something... or could be the danios attacking, though prob not. I wish I could help you more...

CHJ

I have never been able to overfeed a pleco. This includes plecos sleeping on the zucchini they are eating so they are either eating or sleeping and nothing else. Still can't overfeed them.

I'd think they are too small not to mention the report of them eating for it to be acute starvation. Sometimes fish get distended bellies from starvation after months without food. I don't think it can happen with a fish that small?

DoubleDutch

These fish are omnivores and need a bit of protein in their diet as well (definitely when young)
Try to feed shrimppellets now and then.

Kaveman

I agree, plecos do love some shrimp. Is zucchini a recommended food for plecos?! I have never heard of it! I know algea tablets and at least part vegetarian, but zucchini? That's a new one to me. I know it gives me gas.
Sorry to hear of your livestock losses. How new is your tank, vis a vis nitrite cycle? Did your tests include for ammonia?
Best wishes for future successes. I'm a big pleco fan, too.

Tigerburp

I agree, plecos do love some shrimp. Is zucchini a recommended food for plecos?! I have never heard of it! I know algea tablets and at least part vegetarian, but zucchini? That's a new one to me. I know it gives me gas.
Sorry to hear of your livestock losses. How new is your tank, vis a vis nitrite cycle? Did your tests include for ammonia?
Best wishes for future successes. I'm a big pleco fan, too.
Yes it’s is , they can eat alot of vegetables like carrots and celery,mine prefers celery over anything else

CHJ

Yes it’s is , they can eat alot of vegetables like carrots and celery,mine prefers celery over anything else
Do you see any sort of nitrate spike? I ask as celery is basically made out of nitrates. It is what they use in "no nitrates added"/uncured bacon to fill it up with nitrates.

Tigerburp

Do you see any sort of nitrate spike? I ask as celery is basically made out of nitrates. It is what they use in "no nitrates added"/uncured bacon to fill it up with nitrates.
I mean if you leave it there for hours maybe, but I remove it after an hour or so , no problems

Chris4Jesus

i am having trouble with albino babies. All hatch all live and thrive. Then slowly after a month or so the very white albinos start to die off. The darker yellows have no problem. Just the very white ones. I have been breeding this pair for 1 year now. Both have different blood lines. So i know its not that. Also i got the white ones to live a bit longer this time. But what i did was over feed and over feed and clean the tank over feed over feed and clean the tank. They lived about 3 months doing this and got to over 1 inch but now they are dieing just the white ones not the yellow. Anyone have and advice plz help

FishDin

Can you tell us more about your tank? How long has it been cycled? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Did you aclimate them before adding to tank? Did you get them from the same source?

BNs have always seemed bulletproof to me, though I'm not sure about albinos. To have 2 of them die soon after being introduced to the tank suggests (but doesn't prove) that it's something with the tank and not the plecos. Especially since they were acting and eating normally at first.

jpm995

Like FishDin said check your water parameters, especially nitrate and ammo. I say nitrates because that's what goes wrong if enough water changes aren't being done.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
george90165308
  • Question
Replies