I'm Guessing Not Friendly

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Picked up some live blackworms, and there are three weird flat white things, they have eight little nubs on their body, like an octopus tentacle. Guessing not friendly, but can I feed the rest of the blackworms? And could I feed the weird things? I dunno, they look kinda cool

Attachments

Addie42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I can’t really see what you’re talking about
Try to take one out and stab it with a needle or something to get a close up picture
I know black worms come with leeches some time

Addie42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Will tweezers work? I don't like stabbing unnecessarily, lol
Yeah, anything that will make it stay still is fine. I’ve kind of went cold to stabbing bugs from my science labs
You could probably just pick it up (with tweezers) and put it in a water bottle lid or something

OP
Rtessy

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok here we go, these guys need food, I think the imbellis ate their eggs.
So, leech? If so, can I still feed the blackworms?
Not looking good, huh

Attachments

Addie42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yeah that’s a leech. What part were you describing to look like octopus tentacle?

I don’t know if it’s safe to feed still. I imagine you would just pick out the leeches and feed them anyways since blackworms come with leeches so often...
not sure what the leech life cycle is tho

OP
Rtessy

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I dunno, the underside has little octopus things on one of them. I think you can see in this pic?
Darn, these guys need food, but I can't risk making them sick... Actually, maybe I can, let me check a med....

Attachments

OP
Rtessy

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Arg, I dunno, they're such small fish, I'm worried that one leech would kill them
I'll check with the store tomorrow, I really really appreciate your input, if they can't give me an answer, I'll go with yours

OP
Rtessy

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Octopi have suckers and so do leeches!

I would not put them in my tank just in case, although many species feed by swallowing invertebrates.

One in my area, Medicinal Leech, does suck human blood but it is a rarity!
Ohhhh ok. There are like 6 or 7 different species, one may be just a giant flatworm, but a few definitely seem to be leeches. Do you think I could feed the blackworms? Trying to feed to bettas, just for reference.

OP
Rtessy

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would sort them out on a plate and just feed the Blackworms and avoid putting anything suspect in the aquarium just to be safe.

Maybe review if its worth getting these again, there may be alternatives. I use frozen and stuff like daphnia and bloodworm from my water butt.
Thanks, I tried frozen but the fish are wild and refusing flake, pellet, and frozen, so I bet they just need live for a little while.

Addie42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Octopi have suckers and so do leeches!

I would not put them in my tank just in case, although many species feed by swallowing invertebrates.

One in my area, Medicinal Leech, does suck human blood but it is a rarity!
Lol I’ve gotten a couple leeches before on me.
If it’s a pretty common thing to have these leeches/flatworms/whatever in there I’m sure it’s not a big deal. I wouldn’t feed them (leech) to my fish though
Maybe you should try to start your own blackworm culture so you don’t need to worry about this stuff

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom