I'm Gonna Do It! 40 Breeder

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by maggie thecat, Jun 26, 2016.

1. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I've been going spare trying to talk myself out of one of these tanks. But I've decided that next dollar per gallon sale, I'm going to take the plunge, retire my 20 long, and move some of my other stock around.

Yesterday, I sourced out a good price on some sand to supplement what's in the 20L. Today, I bought a stand that will be delivered in a week or so.

I have lights and filters.

I keep reading that the glass tops have to be tank specific to fit correctly. (Have cats. Must have a lid.) So that will be put off until I know whose tank I'm getting.

Dang. I'm kind of excited/relieved now that I've decided to go through with it.

2. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Yay! It is exciting to get a big tank. I'm still waiting to setup my own 40 gallon breeder that I got the last $1.00 per gallon sale. What kind of fish will you be putting in yours? Oh and don't forget pictures!

3. OP
    OP
    maggie thecat

It's going to be temperate/cool water fish. CPDs, rasboras, cories and my weather loaches.

4. Aludar

Aludar Valued Member Member

I was actually informed yesterday of the upcoming sale in person at my local petco, but had a nice heads up from Kwig about it as well on here. Good luck with the next tank :;toast

5. S

SkunkMunkey3000 New Member Member

Wish we got the dollar a gallon sales here in the UK, lucky if you get £1/litre!

6. OP
    OP
    maggie thecat

Thanks! I'm already rehearsing the move in my head and it's going to be weeks before I have everything to hand.

7. OP
    OP
    maggie thecat

Well, I got my tank, and the stand it's going on. Yay! But does anybody for 50 miles have a top for the durn thing?

Of course not.

Fortunately, Foster and Smith did, and in stock. I'm planning my upgrade for tomorrow, now I just have to decide how I'm going to fudge the cover for a week. Saran Wrap, maybe?

8. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe a mesh top with chicken wire?

9. OP
    OP
    maggie thecat

I ended up using mesh gutter covers, duct taped together. Admittedly not the most attractive thing ever, but it does hold the weight of my LED strips.

I love duct tape. I don't think I could do without it.

10. c

cheese Valued Member Member

hi, just an idea, but you should maybe consider converting your 20l to a quarantine tank :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. OP
    OP
    maggie thecat

I have a ten I use for that. Short of putting a shelf on the 40's stand, I am officially out of space for fishtanks. I may try and sell it to a lfs that deals in used tanks. I might put orchids in it. I don't know yet. I still need to get the last of the shrimplets out of it and get it cleaned up.

12. c

cheese Valued Member Member

a 10 is even better :) I, like most people, just don't like hearing "retire" and "fish tank" in the same sentence lol...I have the same problem, I'm out of room too but I still have a 55 sitting outside waiting to be set up haha :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Unless it's, "when I retire I'm going to have lots of fish tanks!"

14. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

The dollar per a gallon is on now:). I was thinking of buying ten 55gals, but I would be killed lol.

15. OP
    OP
    maggie thecat

If I had the space for 10 55 gallon tanks I'd just get one ginormous tank and do the cold water Pacific Coast tank of my dreams. But seeing is that is never going to happen, I'll be over here experimenting with using acrylic soap dishes to add perches to my 27 and 40 gallon tanks. ;-p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice