Question Im Going To Start a 20g FW Any Advice?

SamTheFishGuy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Basically what the title says. Going to buy a 20 gallon from Petco's 1$ a gallon. any ideas on what to get? I'm planning on not spending over 100$.

DrSahl

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I assume you know about the cycle.

I would think about what type of fish you like and then read about them and then post possible setups or asking people here what they think is good to combine with the fish you have found and want (you can often read online what tank they need etc)

There are lots of cheap, but nice fish out there. Tetras, Betta's etc

OP
SamTheFishGuy

SamTheFishGuy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dave75g said:
20 gallon would make a nice home for some guppies and some shrimp, Mabee some snails. You gonna have some live plants?
I have a lot of guppies, Dont want anymore. And yea its going to have white substrate.

If you guys have any tank ideas,Please tell me.
I might use black substrate. I would love some 20 gallon pics of some one you guys had. possible some dwarf gormais I know I spelled it wrong

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
White shows algae very easy, on the other hand black makes all the fish and plants and decor stand out.

OP
SamTheFishGuy

SamTheFishGuy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dave75g said:
White shows algae very easy, on the other hand black makes all the fish and plants and decor stand out.
later, when I hit 50 posts, I will sell most of my fish and supplies. I have 2 10g, 1 5g, 1 6.5g . they contain Guppys,Dalmatian mollies (adults & babys) Crabs(2 are prego) Black moor, Some random pond fish that I caught. black sand its a must.

Nicholas1234

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SamTheFishGuy said:
I have a lot of guppies, Dont want anymore. And yea its going to have white substrate.

I might use black substrate. I would love some 20 gallon pics of some one you guys had. possible some dwarf gormais I know I spelled it wrong
Here's a shot of my Dwarf GouramI since you asked for pics.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attachments

TheTankCrasher

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SamTheFishGuy said:

I love dwarf gouramis, my favorite is a neon blue dwarf gourami. Never got one, but they always catch my eye at the LFS.

OP
SamTheFishGuy

SamTheFishGuy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just Posted my 2 10 gallon fish tanks for sale in AquaSwap section. also selling the fish, almatian Mollies (also 3 mouth old fry) guppies (also fry available)

zcpetty

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just got my 20 long. I just decided today that I am going to do black gravel and not risk my low hanging intake with sand even though I would love it. I'm starting with a sturdy bristle nosed Pleco. Plecos are my fav and bristles are really the only one I can get away with due to the 30 inch footprint. I would just make a list of your fav fish and do pros and cons. It's easy to overstock a 20 as my research shows so go easy. 20 is a good middle ground take! Hope you enjoy it!

azbev

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 20 gallon long Freshwater tank w/30 gal Fluval filter in which 8 False JullI Corycats reside (started with six but then 6 fry appeared and I re-homed 4 of them) along with 7 happy Neon Tetras and one friendly, handsome DG. I have the medium-sized gravel substrate (didn't know I'd have Corys when I set up else I'd have sand), plastic plants, two live anubias nana (thriving, both blooming w/no added CO2 or ferts), Malaysian driftwood, two caves and an air stone. I'm not familiar with Plecos, so I don't know what other fish would work with them. Probably should do some research on that, and I'd pay attention to the "guideline" of 1" adult fish per gallon of water, fish that need a schoal, regular water changes, not overfeeding, etc. Good luck to you!

image.jpg

zcpetty

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
azbev said:
I have a 20 gallon long Freshwater tank w/30 gal Fluval filter in which 8 False JullI Corycats reside (started with six but then 6 fry appeared and I re-homed 4 of them) along with 7 happy Neon Tetras and one friendly, handsome DG. I have the medium-sized gravel substrate (didn't know I'd have Corys when I set up else I'd have sand), plastic plants, two live anubias nana (thriving, both blooming w/no added CO2 or ferts), Malaysian driftwood, two caves and an air stone. I'm not familiar with Plecos, so I don't know what other fish would work with them. Probably should do some research on that, and I'd pay attention to the "guideline" of 1" adult fish per gallon of water, fish that need a schoal, regular water changes, not overfeeding, etc. Good luck to you!

image.jpg
I'm doing a pleco tank, 20 long gets you a bristlenose and a rubberlip is pushing it. All other species except maybe a clown pleco get too big. Even so might have to upgrade if the bristle gets abnormally large which can happen on rare occAsions. Usually 4-6inches though

New Threads