I'm glad I QT'd him...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Akari_32, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

This is why I hate PetLand! :;fru

I bought a teeny tiny little Panda Garra a few days ago. I got him at just over an inch long, and he's actually noticeably grown some since then. Yesterday, I saw him flash a bit, but didn't really think anything about it. Some times, fish get a little itchy, it happens :;dk

Well today, I saw him do it again, his gills are a bit red, and he's taking, slow, exaggerated, deliberate "breaths." Still eating, still active, holds his dorsal fin down sometimes, but I'm not sure if its just how he rests, or if its related, since I've only had him a few days. Gills look like they are kind red, but its only when looking at him from behind, so it could just be because I'm looking into them rather than straight at them from the side, and he's so small its hard to say if they're swollen or not.

He's QT'd in a 3/4 gallon Kritter Keeper, with obsessive daily 75% or more water changes, Prime.... Its not as bad as it sounds. He really is super small. But, I do want to get him out of there as soon as I can, but I don't want to introduce any nasties to my main tank. What I've got on hand:

General Cure
    QuICK Cure
    Jungle Anti-Parasite Medicated Food
    Aquarium Salt
    Epsom Salt
    Kordon Fish Protector

Med selection sucks around here, but if you have any other ideas of what might help, have at. I think I'll just start with the medicated food for now, until some one suggests something...

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

So... I clicked on it. Now what?

Anyway, did he come in contact with any water/plants/nets/food/fingers/ect that had been in the gill fluke water?? Because it kinda sounds like gill flukes again. What all does Quick Cure do??

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I would come closer to thinking ICH. It can get in their gills also. Have you raised the water temp yet? That and the water changes your doing should see him in good shape.

For what it's worth the oxygen rich blood flowing through the golls will make them look red . Only you would know if they are redder than usual.
    carol

4. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Well, yeah, I've been real lax about crossing the 5.5 gallon water with the water in the QT (and most the guppy grass was just put in there when I got him), but never the other way around. I've got the gill flukes all killed in the 5.5... QuICK Cure is an Ich, etc treatment. Cheap, and easy to dose, and works wonders. I'll see if I can find it online...

I haven't done anything to the temp, due to the small size of the tank (3/4 of a gallon). I've got a Tetra 2-15 gallon heater and a thermometer in the 5.5 I could move over there and keep a close a close eye on, though.

Theres gotta e like 6 ft worth of guppy grass in the tank, and it started pearling all over the place, so the water if definitely well oxygenated lol

5. s

snapper Well Known Member Member

I'd do salt (regular, not epsom) or the general cure. General cure is the one with praziquantel and metronidazole, right?

6. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

General Cure:  

QuICK Cure:  

Can't really find an ingredient list for the QuICK Cure. I'll take a pic of both packages when I get back to my room.

7. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Id treat a half dose of quick cure to start, wouldnt want to go over board on a small fish. And for once, im going to say stay away from the salt, not sure how garra handle it, but being a fresh water fish, and being a little juvi at that, id avoid salt for the time being.

8. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Akari have you ID'd the problem for sure? He looked pretty healthy in your videos.
    I know you're doing large water changes everyday but have you tested your water?

Carol

9. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Yeah, I'm not sure about the salt either. I mean, he *does* have scales, but every bottom feeder I've ever seen doesn't like salt, sooo.....

Do you have any idea how hard it is to 1/2 dose something dosed by the drop? :;bmu Actually, I think I know how to do it... Kind of the same as with dry meds... Teaspoons and tank water and such....

10. Brainlady

Brainlady Well Known Member Member

I would stay away from the salt. I am always a bit worried with very small fish after I used it on a sick bumble-bee goby and it killed him. Any way to raise the temp with the little heater you have?

11. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

No, I haven't. I haven't done anything other than give him a bit of the anti-parasite food, which wouldn't hurt anything even if he didn't need it.

He doesn't physically look sick, but he shouldn't be flashing for two days, now.

I haven't tested yet, because I use Prime at the water changes. I'd have to not change the water one day, or just use AquaSafe, to be able to take a sample to PetSmart. I don't like the sounds of either of those in such a small tank >.< I guess I *could* skip out on the Prime today, though... I've not been doing the water changes until 11 or 12 at night, seeing as I work until 11 most nights, and I have classes during the day.

12. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I'd have to take the heat from the 5.5 gallon, and watch the temp real close. Its pre-set, but in that small of a tank, it could easily get to a high enough temp to kill off anything bad.

13. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Ok, got some pics of the packages:

API General Cure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

QuICK Cure:

[​IMG]

Jungle Anti-Parasite Food (Not that it has any ingredients on it...):

[​IMG]

14. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

if it were me....i wouldn't medicate unless i really had a good hunch of what i was dealing with. i would just keep up with water changes...and maybe try to add some vitamins to the water, if you have any. or stress coat type stuff.

usually if i see a fish kind of flash....i'll keep watching the fish, and if he increases the amount of flashing, then i'd start thinking of a possible treatment. but i won't treat if i see it flash only a couple times. good luck :)

15. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I was wanting to give him a bit of the medicated food anyway. If you saw the store I bought him at, you'd understand... :;nin2 But, no, I'm not going to do any serious type meds until I determine if anything else, and what, needs to be done.

Also forgot to add, he's no where near as active today as he usually is, and he's not eating as enthusiastically as usual, either. Could just be made that I switched his yummy meaty foods with an algae wafer this morning, and them took the algae wafer out for the medicated food, though... Who knows.

*edit*

Just after I posted this, he flashed 3 or 4 times in succession....

*edit*

Pic from yesterday. You can see how looking into his gills looks really red.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  16. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Some pics from just now:

[​IMG]

Gills from the side:

[​IMG]

Gills from behind:

[​IMG]

And for the giggles :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

17. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

hey look a well trimmed thumb nail!

Sorry I really don't have anything else for you, maybe he just doesn't like the small tank? maybe the water is out of his normal parameters? I honestly have 0 experience on this one to offer. Maybe he is just lonely?

18. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Lonely fish don't flash though.

Hahaha, I had just filed my nails yesterday XD I file them when I get bored... Yeah, I dunno....

19. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I was using the loneliness more of a lead in to other things like the fish becoming less active and or depressed and not caring ya know the human emotions that we place on the fish.

Well we all do weird things when we are bored.

20. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Mm, maybe...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice