I'm Getting Another Tank And Have A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by AllySaturn, Apr 7, 2017.

1. AllySaturn

AllySaturn Valued Member Member

I'm getting a 3.5 tomorrow. I fell in love with a betta tonight and tried using th split in my 5 gallon because it is black and 'should have' been enough to make sure they couldn't see each other and I was advised this should have been okay but apparently they can.... is there a way to transfer one of my filters to the new one to help the cycling? He is a half moon and he likes to lay on my moss ball or on the sand because his tail is heavy but the leef bed I had rusted so I don't wanna buy another. I know I'll need a heater and TSS and sand but is there anything else?? I need info ASAP because if my first betta doesn't relax a little I'll have to put lucky in the cup and just keep the water warm till the store opens. [​IMG]

Here he is for reference. Also if anyone has ideas for a "bed" I'd appreciate that a lot!!!

2. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

Java fern or anubias plants can be good rests. So can planted anacharis. All can live in low light. So if you have 2 filters why can't you move one or at least the media?

I like plants with my fish. A good mossball can be nice for the fish to pick at as well.

Or you could get a Betta Hammock and stick it on the side. I just don't do fake plants:D

3. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

If you have multiple filters on a cycled tank, you can put one onto the new tank to cycle it.

If not, just get some TSS or Stability and do a fish-in cycle. With a betta in a 3.5 gallon, it should be relatively easy due to a light bioload.

4. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

I had the betta bed @ashenwelt but it rusted so I refuse to buy another. I may make my own. And alright @Lorekeeper I'll try. All I know is I'll be up all night watching them because now I'm scared. Would it be worse or better to put the one back in a cup until tomorrow??

5. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

The cup is not filtered... And if you have TSS and a filter... Just go for it.

6. Lorekeeper

I'd try to find a large kitchen bowl and use that. Might be better than the cup he came in.

Just be sure to rinse the bowl well before and after :)

7. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

The fish are currently in the same tank, but separated by a divider, right? Are you worried they might get past the divider somehow? Or mainly about stress? Are they in a room that will be dark overnight? I would think that should help them calm down.

What is room temp at your house overnight? Depending on that, it may be too difficult to maintain a comfortably warm temperature in the unheated cup.

8. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

What if he jumps?? @loreleeper and I don't have the tank yet @ashenwelt I got him tonight thinking he should work with my other netta in a split tank because I was assured it should be fine especially since my first betta doesn't even really pay attention to the mirror toy. I got to go in the morning to get a new tank

9. Lorekeeper

You could get some saran wrap, and poke a bunch of large holes in it. Then wrap the bowl just like you would with leftover food.

Still lots of air exchange, with a barrier to stop jumping.

10. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

Yes there is a divider and I'm not afraid of jumping, or wasn't until you said somthing because my first betta is trained to jump for food but the stress is worrying me. The room can be dark yes. A little light but not enough that they should see each other (though I already bet and lost) the house is cold ATM. I have a wall heater where the tank is and could put him near that in the cup? But then again I also have dogs.... I bet and I lost. This is making me rethink my plans of a split 20 gallon for Bettas. Guess it's going to be a sorority

@Lorekeeper any way to keep him warm?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  11. Lorekeeper

Well... Not anything simple that I can think of.

If you have the material for a drip acclimation, and a very large container, you could just drip acclimate him all night.

In a 5 gallon+ bucket, you could add him in with heated water, and drip water from the tank into the container all night. The water level would get low in your main tank, but it shouldn't get TOO low overnight.

His water might not be at the tank's temp, but it'll be a lot warmer than room temp.

12. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

Ill stay up and watch. At this point my doctor can shove it my fish are more important ATM. I feel so bad, I thought it should have worked. At the same time I connected with him like I did Leo... I may just buy a few tanks to keep handy at this point....

13. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Wowowo, what is happening here? You got a new fish?
    Just grab a bowl, wrap it in blankets, add heated water and just net the betta out. He will do fine until tomorrow, when you can get everything you need.
    Fish are made to survive, while I do not suggest to keep Bettas in unheated tanks he can handle it for a day.
    I left my Mollys outside and probably their water got at 17 Celsius or a little bit lower at night, they are still alive. Unless you live in Antartica I want to believe you will be able to keep the water at 23 Celsius or so inside your home which should be enough for 1 night.

14. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

Celsius? I don't know the conversion for that @BeanFish and yes I did. I was told splitting the tank between my current fish and the new one would be fine and it wasn't. My first fish spazzed and was laying on the sand when I just checked on him so I took the new fish and snail out and put them in towels in the fishes bowel I put a moss ball so he can lay and rest. Now Leo is in the tank and seems fine. *sigh* I guess even if somthing works for a lot of people it isn't guaranteed to work for you.... WELP now I gotta get another tank and hope to god my roommates don't kill me

15. BeanFish

62 Farenheit. You just have to Google Farenheit to Celsius and Google will help you.
    It is weird that the fish just layed in the sand. Maybe he was just resting. I'm not a fan of divided thanks tho and at the end of the day you have to do what your brain tells you to so you can have peace of mind.
    I wish you luck with the bettas :).

16. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

@BeanFish he usually lays in the floating plant but he was in the sand and turning grey. He has his colour back now and is back in his usual spot. Can Bettas get "spoiled"

17. BeanFish

I dont think they can get spoiled, that was weird, I cant explain what happened to the Betta.
    Fish can be weird sometimes.

18. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

I couldn't either. He is fine now and I'm so confused. He never even goes after the mirror I have he ignores it so that sealed the deal making me think he would be fine @BeanFish your fish get weird like that too?

19. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

That's a pretty betta.

20. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

Thanks. He really is. My petco had a lot of pretty ones. (I try and go to pet co now because I complimented on the care the Bettas were getting {because I was there during a water change} and they have hired a betta keeper apparently because the guy smiled and said that I was the first to say somthing and went on to say how he was hired at this location specifically for the Bettas. The manager said they have gotten more buissness with the Bettas with him there since they hired him. I nodded and said because they are finally being cared for and if only all the stores cared for their fish like this.) anyways his neghbor was a half moon too but was red and green ombré with black tips (not rot black)

21. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

He may be a shy betta, one that isn't aggressive. He couldn't get away and that stressed him out. Plus he lost half his tank so that probably made him unhappy.

Don't beat yourself up, many people keep bettas in divided tanks. Sometimes it doesn't work out all of a sudden, even after it's been fine for a while.

The new betta will be okay in a bowl overnight. They stay in the unheated cups, and though it's not good, they survive for much longer than a night. You're doing the right thing! Better safe than sorry!

22. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

Thanks @AngelTheGypsy that makes me feel better. I'm trying to find the best tank at a decent price for him that can be shipped to my store ASAP. (Mine does hour deliveries. ) I refuse to take him back to the store.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice