im getting a pleco thats huge also a ghost knife fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by lucky strike 21, Nov 28, 2012.

1. lucky strike 21

lucky strike 21 Well Known Member Member

well as it turns out i made my sister in law feel horrible for keeping those big fish in a 10 gallon which included a comet goldfish a ghost knife fish and a common pleco for 2 years so next week shes giving me her fish and tank so im wondering how do i acclimate them there too big to put in a ziploc bag the goldfish is already safe and sound in my 55 gallon for now for my 150 gallon would it be ok to put the pleco and knife fish?

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

The knife fish is likely to eat your other fish...they are not very nice that way. The pleco should be ok temporarily but I would seriously recommend finding a new home for both of them ASAP.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

So you made her give up the hobby.... Haha sounds like it was for the best.

The ghost knife might eventually eat the small fish - like platys. Eventually. One that's been kept in a 10 probably isn't big enough though. The kuhlis would be tough for it to get, since they can hide so easily. Again, eventually it may, but it's not something I would be concerned about for a while.

4. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

The Pleco should be fine but i would be concerned about the Knife, all i have ever heard of them is that they are both shy and aggressive. You have a Kisser, 3 BPs and a JD in the 150. I would be VERY hesitant to introduce a knife to that equation.

5. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

so what should i do with the knife fish i mean its as big as the goldfish and the goldfish is big

6. soltarianknight

I can't really say. Any other empty tanks?

7. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

A 40 gallon a 20 gallon a 10 gallon and that's about it the 55 gallon has the comet goldfish and the 150 is overstocked

8. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

Christmas is coming up. Go and buy a large enough tank to house the knife fish in, and give the tank to your sister in law as an early Christmas present. This way maybe she won't feel that horrible any more, having her knife fish back in an appropriately sized tank may cheer her up. And you will not need to worry about the knife fish any more. make sure to give her some filter media and/or substrata from your established tank to start the cycle on her new knife fish tank.

9. soltarianknight

The 40 will have to do for a while. I think for a full grown knife(around 20" or so) a 55-75gal is a minimum.

10. Jaysee

I think a 20 inch fish belongs in at least a 6 foot tank. Ultimately, if you keep this fish, you'll have to put it in the 150.

11. l

luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

I wouldnt trust the knife even with kuhlis. As for aggressiveness knife fish are very shy. I couldnt see mine attacking larger fish but they will eat smaller fish. Calling them aggressive isnt exactly true. There not aggressive but will eat small fish
    As for acclimation i would put some water from the old tank in a 5 gallon bucket. Than take an airhose and use it to slowly siphon your tank water into the bucket. Do this until you think you have a 50:50 ration. Than net the fish and put him in. Dont use the water from the bucket and dump him in just net him.

12. Jaysee

I think the kuhlis and platys and whatnot would do better in the 40. The BPs will be capable of eating them.

13. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

i would but she no longer wants fish as pets : /

14. soltarianknight

Actually, Jay has a point, you could play musical tanks and move some fish around.

15. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

I think that's what I'm going to end up doing any suggestions anyone ?
    The 40 gallon and 20 gallon are gonna be the musical tanks lol

16. soltarianknight

You could probably move the kisser, platy, kuhli and black skirts with ease into the 40gal. Not sure if it will hold the kisser in the long run since they are soo big when full grown but it might. If you feel that the tigers are in danger then the 20 should do them. The BPs and Knife will have to stick it out, i think the rainbows should be fine. Look at this way, you just got major population control for the live bearers.

17. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

So for the 40 gallon I'm thinking my 2 male dwarf gourami the 4 black skirts 2 platys and 2 mollys And the loaches is that overstocked ?

18. soltarianknight

As long as the dwarfs don't kill each other you'll be fine.

19. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

i think its a common pleco and a ghost knife fish?

009.jpg 011.jpg 012.jpg 019.jpg what type of fish are these?i think common pleco and a ghost knife fish

20. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

That's not a pleco, dude! That's a stunted Featherfin Catfish! He should grow to about 9" but after what's happened I don't know if he'll get there. I can tell he's stunted because he's a little stubby end-to-end. Should be proportionately longer.

The other appears to be a knife, but what kind I don't know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice