I'm getting a new tank

1. melkor1223 Initiate Member

I'm getting a new fish tank. I want to know what size and everything else. I want something around 30 gal. or so. This will be my first fish tank in a while, so I forget everything. I've been looking on the web and found some decent information, but I need second opinions. I'm thirteen, so I can't get anything whenever I want, so I'll need a list or something.

~Melkor

2. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I'm 13 too! it rox ;)
    Fishlore.com is a GREAT site! it helped me more than all the others put together because everything is in one place! there are some great books out there too for beginners, (library?) try "Aquariums for Dummies" by Maddy and Mic Hargrove, and "The Everything Tropical Fish Book" by Carlo DeVito and Gregory Skokal. Hope that helps!
    Emma

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

My suggestion would be if you want a 30 gal. tank, to get a 30 long instead of high. You can put more fish in a 30 gal. long than a high one because more of the water is exposed to the air at one time. This is called the "footprint" of the tank. Since more water is exposed, more oxygen is able to go into the water which is better for your fish. Have your parents help you look in the classified ads of your local newspaper and see if you can find a cheap tank that way first. My hubby got our 1st tank which is a 20 gal. long for $5.00! A 30 gal. tank is a great size. The larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain it and keep it balanced. A 10 gal. tank is much more difficult to keep stable.

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

In the classified ads in the back of the newspaper there is usually a column called pet supplies and aquariums are sold very cheaply.
    Carol

5. NanoAddict Member Member

here r some easy steps to a good aquarium
    get heater tank and filter
    fill tank with declorinated water
    asemmble decor and stuff
    wait about 2 weeks for bacteria
    add some hardy fish ie zebra danios , tetras
    wait 2 more weeks
    start adding all the wonderful fish of the world
    heres some suggestions tiger barbs yoyo loaches and swordtails

6. rob2uk Member Member

You won't get bacteria without putting something in the water to decay!

You can use something like fish food or a piece of raw fish to get things going

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

8. NanoAddict Member Member

thanks i did not no that :p