I'm getting a new tank! YAY!

  • Thread starter

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Messages
2,626
Reaction score
13
Points
133
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey guys,

I'm getting a new tank! But I need advice and help from the experts! :helpsmilie:

What size tank should I get? Should it be a freshwater planted tank or just a freshwater tank with artificial plants like my 15 gallon? What fish should I get? Any other suggestions? x

I'm planning to buy it in 2 weeks time. So early planning is my plan! lol
 

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Messages
2,144
Reaction score
13
Points
208
Experience
5 years
Get as big as you can afford!
 
  • Moderator

Lucy

Moderator
Messages
45,493
Reaction score
2,398
Points
1,383
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey, thats great!

Research fish you might like, since many have different requirements, then go from there.
Several members are very good at helping with stocking and compatablity.

Good luck & have fun.
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,173
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
Yea, I say the biggest tank you can.
 

J J Indy

Valued Member
Messages
95
Reaction score
0
Points
101
the bigger the better I always say. On stocking pick carefully because if you don't you will find fish will eat fish. I would suggest staying away from eels as most will eventually snack on tank mates. I like planted tanks my self but what ever you choose good luck and put up some pics.
 

pepetj

Well Known Member
Messages
2,538
Reaction score
53
Points
143
Experience
3 years
Congrats! I endorse the bigger the better too. Depending on the stocking ideas, real plants are way more interesting than fake ones.

Wellcome to MTS

Pepe
Santo Domingo
 

Coryd55

Well Known Member
Messages
1,018
Reaction score
5
Points
208
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would say that anywhere from 30 to 55 gallons is good. Definatley do planted tank, helps with nitrates and looks nicer.

As far as picking fish just find some you like and ask on here about requirements and compatibility, etc.
 

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,118
Reaction score
28
Points
293
Experience
4 years
Congrats on getting a new tank. Definetly get the biggest tank you can afford. I love planted tanks. If you want to do a tank with plants, but don't want to pay for expensive lighting you can go with low light plants like Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Ararchis, etc. This is what I did in my tanks, and I am happy with them
 

ninilie

Valued Member
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
Points
101
The fish really appreciate a planted tank and it looks nice. MissMTS is correct try for the easier and low light plants water sprite and guppy grass are good choices as well. Believe me i could kill any plant but those two and java moss thrive. I havent tried to kill java fern yet lol but i see that and hornwort in my future. As for fish if you go liverbearers dont overstock off the bat lol they will help you in that area.
 

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,118
Reaction score
28
Points
293
Experience
4 years
ninilie said:
The fish really appreciate a planted tank and it looks nice. MissMTS is correct try for the easier and low light plants water sprite and guppy grass are good choices as well. Believe me i could kill any plant but those two and java moss thrive. I havent tried to kill java fern yet lol but i see that and hornwort in my future. As for fish if you go liverbearers dont overstock off the bat lol they will help you in that area.
Thanks for adding on water sprite I forgot about that one, but my bettas love it. Its a pretty plant. Honestly, I don't know if it is possible to kill Java Fern. It really is the hardiest plant I have ever worked with!
 

Tavel

Well Known Member
Messages
1,136
Reaction score
11
Points
133
biggest tank possible! I wouldn't have any less than my 75 gallon, the smaller ones are in addition to the large one...not the other way around!

As for stocking, you can go two ways. You can get a couple of big fish and some medium sized ones. Or you can get all small fish and have like a swarm of 70 neon tetras floating around...awesome.
 

livetowin

Valued Member
Messages
236
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alway go big you can have more fish and they always look cooler get pics when you set it up also make it look natural no castles etc.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Messages
2,626
Reaction score
13
Points
133
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cool ideas! Thanks guys! I would love to get a bigger tank. But I don't really have much room to get a big one. My mom said I could get a small one (around 10 gallons??) That's way too small right? I was thinking 3ft to 4ft long tank and I found a place for it in my room, but my mom doesn't really want me to get such a big one. So I still don't know what to do... Should I still get the small one or wait until I can get a bigger one?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Messages
2,626
Reaction score
13
Points
133
Experience
5 to 10 years
MissMTS said:
Congrats on getting a new tank. Definetly get the biggest tank you can afford. I love planted tanks. If you want to do a tank with plants, but don't want to pay for expensive lighting you can go with low light plants like Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Ararchis, etc. This is what I did in my tanks, and I am happy with them
Those plants sound nice but I've tried finding for java fern in some aquarium stores near my home but haven't any luck. Do you have any pictures of any java ferns or java moss? Maybe I can show the managers?

ninilie said:
The fish really appreciate a planted tank and it looks nice. MissMTS is correct try for the easier and low light plants water sprite and guppy grass are good choices as well. Believe me i could kill any plant but those two and java moss thrive. I havent tried to kill java fern yet lol but i see that and hornwort in my future. As for fish if you go liverbearers dont overstock off the bat lol they will help you in that area.
lol How do you kill your plants? Don't kill them! lol No offence but that's just being mean to plants which help your fish to survive.

Tavel said:
biggest tank possible! I wouldn't have any less than my 75 gallon, the smaller ones are in addition to the large one...not the other way around!

As for stocking, you can go two ways. You can get a couple of big fish and some medium sized ones. Or you can get all small fish and have like a swarm of 70 neon tetras floating around...awesome.
I love your idea about 70 neon tetras! That sounds cool! There's a big tank in one of the aquarium stores near my house and they have this big tank (i think around 100 to 120 gallons ) and there's a lot of fish in it which includes more than 30 neon tetras, some algae eaters, Discus fish, Rainbow fish, etc... It's also covered with a lot of live plants and floating plants. It's like a real live underwater forest. I stare at it everytime I visit. I stare at it as though I want a tank like that but can never have one. So that's kinda my dream aquarium. I'll try to get some pictures for you if you'd like. :;bananahey
 
  • Moderator

Lucy

Moderator
Messages
45,493
Reaction score
2,398
Points
1,383
Experience
5 to 10 years
peacemaker92 said:
Cool ideas! Thanks guys! I would love to get a bigger tank. But I don't really have much room to get a big one. My mom said I could get a small one (around 10 gallons??) That's way too small right? I was thinking 3ft to 4ft long tank and I found a place for it in my room, but my mom doesn't really want me to get such a big one. So I still don't know what to do... Should I still get the small one or wait until I can get a bigger one?
Us mom's can be such spoil sports. lol I love my 2 10 gallon's and it's better than nothing if that's what your mom will allow.
I'm a fan of small tanks, I find them more intimate.

The 20 gallon kit in Petsmart is as the same length as the 10, only taller, so maybe that's an option for you.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Messages
2,626
Reaction score
13
Points
133
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lucy said:
Us mom's can be such spoil sports. lol I love my 2 10 gallon's and it's better than nothing if that's what your mom will allow.
I'm a fan of small tanks, I find them more intimate.

The 20 gallon kit in Petsmart is as the same length as the 10, only taller, so maybe that's an option for you.
lol 20 gallon kit? Hmm... Maybe I can try that. But I still prefer a large tank as what everybody have been telling me to buy. I'll try to get the 20 gallon kit. Thanks Lucy!
 

livetowin

Valued Member
Messages
236
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
5 to 10 years
IK from experience with my parents that if you don't listen to them about what you can and cannot have it comes back to haunt you. i almost lost all my fish and equipment because i kept buying new things without permission. try to convince her that a 20 gal is pretty much the same size as the 10 just taller like lucy said.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Messages
2,626
Reaction score
13
Points
133
Experience
5 to 10 years
livetowin said:
IK from experience with my parents that if you don't listen to them about what you can and cannot have it comes back to haunt you. i almost lost all my fish and equipment because i kept buying new things without permission. try to convince her that a 20 gal is pretty much the same size as the 10 just taller like lucy said.
OK, thanks! I think 20 gallons is ok to buy, but more than 30 gallons, my parents might not let.
 

livetowin

Valued Member
Messages
236
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
5 to 10 years
if you want me to illl take a picture of my empty 10 gal next to my 30 gal. to show you how big the difference is.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Messages
2,626
Reaction score
13
Points
133
Experience
5 to 10 years
livetowin said:
if you want me to illl take a picture of my empty 10 gal next to my 30 gal. to show you how big the difference is.
Oh sure! That'll be nice! :;bananahi
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom