I'm frustrated, lost, & need help

1. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

So I've been trying to set up a 20g high for the past three-four months. It's not set up yet because I need to figure out how I'm going to stock it and I'm getting soooo frustrated because of all the conflicting information that I'm about ready to give up.
    I really need help deciding what to stock my tank with and level wise what would be ok in it. Also I need a hardy enough fish to survive a cycle with TSS because that's my only option to cycle with. If your going to complain about me cycling with fish at least I'm doing it with TSS, would you rather me do it all natural?
    Sorry I'm just so stressed out and all the conflicting info and some people saying I can stock it this way but others saying I absolutely can't stock it that way. I'm so so sooo close to being done.
    If my tank was a 20 long and not a 20 high there would be bettas in it by now instead of a future community.
    Anyways, sorry I'm done with my rant I just really had to get that out. I just need your guys help so I can get this tank up and running already.

So it's a 20 g high. The temp will depend on my stock, obviously. The substrate is sand and I'll be doing live plants. I'm boiling driftwood for the tank right now as I'm typing this.
    So the substrate is sand because I have a soft spot for cories and want to base this tank off them. They are my main priority in this tank. My ph is either 7.5, 8, or somewhere in between. I honestly don't know because in one room it will look exactly like 7.4-7.6, but in another room with different light it will look like 7.8, and in another it will look like 8. Can someone help me on this?

I just need to know what fish I should put in the tank and if corys will work.

Sorry guys I'm just really annoyed and done. I started typing this but my puppy starting throwing up halfway through me typing it and I had to clean it up and now figure out what's wrong and something is wrong with his privates too. so I'm just so done.

And I just got my schedule like 5 minutes ago and I have absolutely no classes with any of my friends. and I don't have lunch with them either.

so it's just a bad day and I'm not sure if I can deal with all this.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. TJBender

TJBender Well Known Member Member

Here's what I've done with 20 highs:

1 DG
    1 GBR
    6 glowlight tetras
    6 flame tetras
    5 peppered cories

(this tank's stocking was completely screwed by TB, and it no longer exists)

2 honey gouramis
    12 neon tetras
    6 false julii cories

(both honey gouramis died of what I believe to have been fish TB)

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Cory's will work especially since you are using sand in your tank and corys love sand! I'm guessing you want a natural look to the tank. So a lot of plants will be good. My stocking list for this tank would be
    6x neon tetras
    6x Cory catfish
    1x gourami
    These fish would look great in your tank. But you can choose other fish to your liking.

4. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

:( sorry,

bad days will come.

and life will still go on.

not being much help, hu.

What you need right now petaddiction, is a break, go take a walk, maybe write or read a story, to make up your own world, and try to RELAX! it's not the end of the world.

if this tank is stressing you out, put it in the garage, and wait until you WANT to figure out what to put into it. sometimes, when I have problems, i forget it for like three weeks, and then a light bulb goes off in my head, and it's so much fun again. fish keeping should be fun, not stressful.

take a break.

I just went and looked at your bio, and it looks like you just started, so maybe you should take it SUPER EASY and start small, I know you would totally want to start BIG but sometimes you should really take it easy. Maybe get a smaller tank, or put just one fish (guppy, betta, etc.) and plant it well, that way it's not boring, but not too hard.

maybe you can take a nap too. or go to camp for a week, maybe have a friend go with you to the beach? it's less crowded on the week days.

what grade are you in?

I'm sorry for you, I hope things get better.

puppies puck when they eat to fast sometimes...
    that's really all I know, my sister would answer many more questions on dogs then I, I'm the betta girl.

:'(

5. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Hi, I know that things can become frustrating at times, so there is really no need for any apology.
    This is just my opinion, based on nothing more than my experience with them, but cories tend to be vary adaptable to matters such as pH; if you purchase them locally, they are likely already living in water quite similar to yours.
    And I do quite agree with with you; colours in a test tube will alter according to the light sorce under which they are viewed.
    You have so many options as to which fish to stock with your cories, all of them good ones, so let your your opinion on what to have be the deciding factor, after looking into their basic needs, of course.
    And I am not about to make a moral judgement about doing a fish in cycle; many have had great success with it, and I do it all the time, in a manner of speaking, as I have the luxury of having sufficient tanks to allow me to use fully seeded filters (well, seeded to service the bioload I intend to support), so basically have an instant cycle.
    That said, many swear by, and succeed with a bottled bacteria fish in cycle, so I'm not about to argue about that.
    Do remember, though, that keeping fish is supposed to be fun, so try to ignore your frustration and conflicting advise---All the best to you, rick.

6. OP
    OP
    petaddiction

Thank you guys. I'm sort of calmed down after reading all these but I'm still stressed out. I just don't understand why all this is happening to me. And I'm not looking forward to school at all. I can't wait to be graduated from hs but that's still a few years to go.
    I may go write a song or something. that's what I normally do to calm myself down.
    I'm thinking cories and guppies.
    if I did like 6 false julii corydoras and 6 male guppies what other fish should I add?

7. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

really petaddiction, I thought and thought, and I have no idea about either corys or guppies, I can't help you on that... so sorry...

maybe you can watch a movie? that just popped in my head... watched Tron Legacy?

8. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I have 2 male guppies they are pretty cool. They are pretty active. You can add a gourami.

9. OP
    OP
    petaddiction

okay I think with a little inspiration I've figured it out.
    Can I put one german blue ram with guppies or will they not get along?

10. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't do a ram with guppies as they like softer water. You've got a good pH for livebearers. I'd keep it simple yet colorful by keeping a few male platies with them. Just be on the lookout for bullies should the tension level get too high.

It is possible to cycle with cories. I did it some years ago with no TSS, just water changes and Prime. So yes, you'll be in much better shape ;)

11. OP
    OP
    petaddiction

hmm I'm not a big fan of platies.
    could I do
    6 false julii corydoras
    5 Guppys
    5 endler livebearers

12. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Endler boys would harass those fancy guppy boys. Reticulata with details just can't swim as well and won't be able to handle the little confrontations that can happen often and on in a fraternity tank. Would you want to do an all Endler male tank? You could do a dozen of them fairly easily, but just be aware that they will compete with the cories for food on the bottom and will flirt with them in the hope that they are the giant girls of every guppy boy's dream ;)

Another idea would be something like what I have going in a 20 gallon: male and female swamp guppies with a swordtail as their designated fry eater. There would still be room below for cories.

13. f

frogfan Well Known Member Member

I have a 29 g tank but this is my planed stock for it 6 male guppies 6 zebra or glofish danios and 6 peppered corys. Now my tank is 9g larger then yours so this stock may not work in your tank but im telling you so you get an idea of whats do able guppies are top swimmers danios are mid-top swimmers snd csts are bottom swimmers so you get alot of activity + they all thrive under similar conditions slightly alkiline ph at a similar hardness in similar temps . All the info you need can be found in the fish profiles and online just look up the fish you are interested in and write down their needs . Do that for each type of fish your interested in that will give you a list of stock most likely to live well together. When you have a list of possabilities post it here and im sure someone will let you know pf any issues such as fin nippers and such

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. D

Dunnill0816 New Member Member

I was going to do guppies and danios but I've heard that the danios will nip the guppies

is this true?

I recently purchased 4 small Balloon Mollies(all female) from my local pet store about a week and a half ago, I noticed a few days ago that one was quite big so thinking it was pregnant I took it back to the pet store, Ben the 'fish expert' said that it was fine and it wasn't going to give birth and their is no gravid spot, so I took it back home. Two days later I was cleaning the tank out and and I noticed there was a baby fry, then another, then another and so on(this was 2 days ago). It was 9pm at night and the fish store was closed by then so I decided to take the fry in the morning. The next morning I went to fish them all out and I could only find 2. I presumed they had all either been eaten or got stuck in the gravel so I cleaned out the gravel with my siphon to suck up all the dead baby fry:-( I only found one, mysterious right? I was looking at the back of the tank(where the heater, filter, and oxygenator is) and I notice a fry swimming in the back(near the filter) I pulled the tank out more and found another 17+ alive! I literally took the tank apart and saved 20 of them out of 27 in total(the rest where dead), I took them to the pet store and now they have them! I have heard that mollies can store sperm for long periods of time, I was reading up on it and it said they can have a total of 6 lots without a male after there last mate. However it said the first time they give birth to about 5 living fry, the second time 10-12 and the third time 20-25, mine gave birth to 27, does this mean it's the third time even though they were young from the pet store? Will she give birth again? If so, when?

By the way I forgot to mention she is hiding and barely coming up to the surface like the other fish, she gave 2 days ago. Is she ill after giving birth or is she pregnant again?

15. f

frogfan Well Known Member Member

Hmm hadnt heard that they might but really I think any fish can nip I just found out the cory I have in qt atacked the guppy I also have in there and took a chunk of his tail off . I only know because they are the only fish in the tank so unless to guppy niped his own tail it had to be the cory.
    I have seen alot of people say that a propper group of which ever nippy fish you have will lesson the nipping

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. v

valau Valued Member Member

IME, if you have enough danios, 6 or more, they will tend to stick to themselves. I haven't kept them with guppies, but they're in a 10 gallon with a betta right now, and they leave the betta alone. I've also kept them with neon tetras and blue rams before, but they seem to enjoy chasing each other around more than bothering the other species. Feeding was a problem though, since danios are extremely active feeders. I had to spot feed the other fish since the danios will eat any food dropped into the tank before the other fish have a chance. Danios are a good fish to cycle with too.

I wouldn't worry about the high pH too much. Just ensure that your fish come from local breeders or local fish stores that use the same water you do, and acclimate them slowly. It seems to me that it's more important to ensure that your water parameters are stable rather than ensuring that you have the perfect pH. I've have kept softwater tropical fish in my rock hard water with no problem.

17. Dempsey Dude

Dempsey Dude Well Known Member Member

I have kept guppies with cories and other bottom feeders before and it always works out fine, they don't bother each other. The only advice I'd like to offer is that guppies (at least mine) are very aggressive feeders. In my 20 gallon tank, my 4 female gupps always get the lions share of all the food, with my other fish picking up the scraps. It's a good idea to feed a varied diet and make sure they all get enough (not just flakes, sinking tablets, frozen food, etc.). Best of luck, you're gonna love this hobby and hopefully find that it's actually quite the stress reliever!

18. OP
    OP
    petaddiction

How would this work?
    6 False Julii Corydoras
    10 Endler livebearers
    8 neon tetra

19. OP
    OP
    petaddiction

anyone? sorry I'm just trying to see if this will work or not so I can figure out a plan if it doesn't because id like to get the fish tmrw.

20. TJBender

TJBender Well Known Member Member

Following the fish TB epidemic, my 20 tall is currently stocked with 5 false juliis, 12 neons and 3 Endlers. From a compatibility standpoint, you're good, and I doubt you'll have bioload issues with fish that small. I'd say that's a good stocking plan.