im fish-stitting! ...but what are they???

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so my uncle is moving (AGAIN) and for some reason i ended up sitting his fishies for a while. so i got out the 10 gallon (its all i had besides a 1 1/2 gallon) and got the filter ready and what-not (no gravle tho, cuz im out). so my parents bring the little guys home (ok, medium guys lol). i kno the albino Clown Loach (me and him are buds), and i kno the gourami, there is also a Tetra, a reeeeealy fat mistery catfish, and some mistery fish that were caught from the pond (-sigh- good thing they're gunna stay small....). so not that my drawn-out story is over: on to the question!

the Gourami: he's silver with clear fins that are decorated with a silver dotted pattern that looks like lace, and he has two black spots on either side of his body, one right in the middle and one on the base of his tail.

the Tetra: his body is clear (aside from is silver organs) and on each tip of his caudal fin is a very bold black spot.

the ugly catfish: he's either dark brown or black (they had the brilliant idea to fill the bucket they transported everyone in with pond water so its all green and murky) with light tan spots and spiny body and fins. he's so fat when he sprawls out on the bottom of the tank, he slumps to one side! (also, he got stuck in the net and we had to cut him out, so does any one kno how to get bits of net off a very, sharp, cranky catfish's fins??) not sure if he was from the pond or not...

the mistery fish: look very much like wild guppies, and are oviously live barers (some of them have 'boy fins,' as i call them XD). im thinking mosquito fish, but im not sure if they live here in FL. im also thinking guppies or mosquito fish some one kept as pets then released in to the pond where my parents got the water from.

i did (atempt to) feed every one this morning (im skipping school because all of this took place at about 11:45 last night, and i forgot to set my alarm). i dropped in a snail for the Clown Loach, and 2 algea waffers for the catfish, and flakes for everyone else. didnt see any one eat but im not sure what kind of schedual my uncle had them on.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the 1st pic is (oviously lol) the catfish. the 2nd os the gourami. the 3rd is the Tetra. i couldnt get a good one of him because he was always on the opposite side of the tank as me. and the last one is the mistery-guppy-mosquito-fish-thingys. they were also shy, so thats the best i could get...

what do you guys think?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can't really tell by the pics, plus I'm not great at fish ID, but the Gourami could be a Three Spot. The cat, maybe a spotted Raphael.
The last 2, I can hardly see the fish.

Wait for others who are better at ID's.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so i just remembered about the fish encyclopedia i have and looked up the catfish. i think its a White-Spot Doradid. if it is, its only got a few more inches to grow, is easy to keep, and is ok in a community. it says its an omnivore, so what should i feed him? i have brine shrimp and blood worms, would those be ok?

and the Tetra doesnt seem to be in the book... and im sort of agreeing with the Three-Spot. the only thing im not sure about is the color, tho that doesnt mean much some times. the one in my book is a light brownish/gold color where the one i have is silver

Last edited:

Sammyboi1993

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
First One Is A Talking Catfish or a Doradid

Second Is a Three Spot Gourami

Thrid I Think Could be an X Ray Tetra

Fourth The Mystery Fish Could be an endlers

But I Can not be sure because of the picture quality, mainly the last two

Thats what i think but im not sure, youll have to wait and see what the more experienced members think.

Last edited:

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the tetra isnt an x ray (just googled it and thats deffiantly not him lol) he's about 3 inches long and the only color he has is a black spot on each tip of tail. the mistery fish, i dont think, are endlers, either. i live in Florida, and im pretty sure u wouldnt find those in ponds here (tho i could be wrong).

and sorry 'bout the pix >.< the water's all gross and the Tetra and mistery fish were very shy and wouldnt let me near them ^_^'>

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yup, the catfish is definitly a spotted raphael

The 'tetra' looks like a scissor tail rasbora to me.
yay! i know what he is now! my uncle said he was a Tetra...

is a Spotted Raphael the same as a White-Spotted Doradid?

p.s. i scooped a couple of those mistery fish so i could get a good look at 'em and the really just look like some really lucky guppies. they're all young and i decided to keep a male and a female. i picked an older female so that theres less of a chance of them being brother and sister. im gunna keep them in the breeders net untill the fatten up then i may put them in the 1 1/2 gallon unless im alowd to keep the 10 gallon up when my uncle takes his fish back.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yup, I believe they are the same type of fish

Woo for me ID'ing the rasbora
yay! now that figureing out what they are is over with, how should i care for these guys? i put in a snail for the loach (they like those right?), and i fed the rasbora and the gourami and the mistery fish from the pond TetraMin flakes, and the catfish (who creeps me out) some sinking wafers. should i throw in some TetraFin pond flakes 2moro as well as tropical flakes to the mistery fishies? and some blood worms for the creepy catfish? and what else does the Clown Loach like?

oh and thanks Lucy! i put in a tree stump thingy for the catfish and loach to hid in then u posted this lol u have no idea how long it took me to get myself to stick my hand in the tank with that catfish! >.< i feel like he's gunna attack me or something! o.o i love the loach tho! he's so cute! and has an attitude, but only toward the gourami XD he's so fun to watch! <3

Last edited:

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
to, my mom was talking to my uncle to today, and i guess these fish are now mine! i think im gunna sell the catfish, re-release those mistery live beares and after the 10 gallon is stable, move the loach, rasbora and gourami into the 20 gallon and the guppies in to the 10 gallon. there is also a possibility that i can get a 50 gallon, but one end of it is cracked and needs replacing and it needs a hood and a filter, so im not sure how that will go over with my parents. so untill then, i still dont know what these guys need, and how often i should change the water and how much, since the tank is waaay over stocked

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would suggest not releasing any aquarium fish into the wild. And there are probably laws against it.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oh... i just kinda figured they were out there and were fine. so what should i do with them then? craigslist? freecycle could work.... maybe i'll just donate them to the petstore. hmmmm.... (also it would have been some where like a pond where there was no way for them to get out in to rivers and stuff. some where secluded. also, please relize i wouldnt be even thinking about this if it was something actually bought from a petstore or something)

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
are the little guppy looking things just clear? do they have any colour? as the fish in the fourth picture looks like a Cuban ditch fish, I have 1 of these I was given

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
are the little guppy looking things just clear? do they have any colour? as the fish in the fourth picture looks like a Cuban ditch fish, I have 1 of these I was given
they sort of have a blueish tent to them if they move a certain way and the light catches them just right, but other than that, no. just clear.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i looked the up, but u know how the internet is... i could find anything even related to a live bearer on my google search. i did find a really cool catfish that was like 5 long tho! lol do u have and good pix i could compare them with? (u saw how well getting pix worked ith me lol)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom