I'm fed up!

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
:-\ > I'm fed up with all my fish dieing, and all of them in my Q tank. In the last month or so I've had 5/6 fish die and all of them in my Q tank. Everyone has been saying that putting fish in a Q tank is a good thing (and I'm not dissaggreeing with anyone), it's just that for me it's been a nightmare, with everyone who's been in there died within weeks and most of them within days. It's not fair. I actualy cried this morning. :'(

Do you think there could be something in the tank or something wrong with the tank that is making all the fish die? :'( I still have one cory in there, do you think I could move him to the 15g until the 7.5g is cycled and ready for him to go in there? ???

I thinking of getting rid of the tank and getting a new tank for a Q tank. Right from the start, ( I don't know if some of you remember), I had problems with the tank from the minute I bought it. I'm starting to not like the tank, and maybe it doesn't like me. I know it's not possible, but that's what it feels like .

What do think I should do? Should I just start again with a whole new tank?

Gwenz

czarben

Reaction score
I'm sorry you're having such bad luck.

If it were me, I'd take everything out of that tank and clean-clean-clean.

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your loss, it must be frustrating. Is this Qtank for sick fish or for new fish.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey Gwenz ... I understand it's disappointing, but please don't cry, everything will eventually be well. It's either the store that sells you sick fish, or there is something wrong with the water. The reason it's recommended to quarantine new fish for a few weeks before adding it to a main tank is to observe it for diseases. If it is sick, many of the diseases will show during these few weeks. And then you know you did the right thing by quarantining new fish - you saved yourself more deaths through infecting all the healthy fish you have by the one sick fish.

How long did you have the fish that died? If you had them around a few weeks, how do you know it's your Q tank that is not right? Like I said, many diseases show after a few weeks. So it could have been that your fish were bought already sick. If this is not the case, and since your Q tank is empty now, maybe you should CLEAN IT WELL, get a new filter cartridge / new filter media, and cycle the tank again. But before you do, check your water parameters just in case.

What could also have happened is that you could have bought some sick fish at some point. That one fish's disease could have stayed in your Q tank (ex. in the gravel or filter because I presume you perform regular water changes) and caused all the other fish (though bought later) to get sick and die.

Really, there could be so many reasons.

P.S. Joe, a Q tank is generally to quarantine newly-bought fish and to observe it for any diseases. After few weeks pass and the fish seems fine, you transfer it to the main tank. This way your fish in your main tank don't get sick and die when you add new fish. A Q tank is also helpful when any of your fish from the main tank get sick. Then you just transfer it to the Q tank and medicate it properly.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gwenz - I'm so sorry your having such problems and yes it can be discouraging. I'f you think it's the tank then you can do one of two things 1) disinfect this tank  2) get another. If you think you won't be able to trust this tank and you can afford to get another but remember it will have to cycle again. To disinfect it you can put it outside, fill with water the add bleach. let it set over night. the next day clean inside and out side of tank with the bleach water, empty and rinse well. a water hose is great for this. Allow to air dry outside over night. Rinse well again. The tank will have to cycle again.
 Now the reason for a "Q" tank is to keep from putting  possibly sick fish into your main tank. Could the fish have been sick already? If the cory has been with the fish that died I would wait about putting him with any of your other fishuntil he's been quarantined and well at least two weeks.
Carol

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I don't think I'll be doing anything yet. I'm going away on Saturday and won't be coming back for a week, so I won't have time to do anything to the tank.

Isabella - My water parameters are fine, and I still have 1 corry left in there so I can't do anything yet.

Butterfly - Welcome back! Thanks for the tips. I might do this after I get back from my holidays.

Thanks again. You are all realy supportive.

Gwenz

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom