I'm experimenting... 2 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by image_image, Apr 12, 2010.

1. image_imageValued MemberMember

I decided to play a game... After doing TWO 50% water changes yesterday, I checked the water today -- no change... at all. Just for kicks I tested the water before and after I did my daily 50% water change.

The results are as follows:

Around 12:45pm
    Ammonia: between 0 & .25ppm
    Nitrite: 5.0ppm
    Nitrate: 40ppm

8:35pm
    Ammonia: 1.0ppm
    Nitrite: 2.0ppm
    Nitrate: 40ppm

I'm going to keep checking it throughout the night about every hour. I'm really curious to see if what I'm doing is helping at all...

2. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

I hope you're using that prime with every water change. And is 2 gallons large enough for the 2 balloon mollies to swim around? It's certainly not enough to buffer any water chemistry changes.

3. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Hmm... 2 gallons, and with mollies, which are produce a lot of waste and get kinda big for livebearers. I think you're going to have big issues with this, but by your frownie face in youor aquarium info, I think you realize that.

What kind of filter is on this tank?

4. image_imageValued MemberMember

The swimming room isn't ideal, but they have room to swim. They're not that big yet. The tank is cylindrical, roughly 11" tall and 9" in diameter. I'm upgrading my tank as soon as I don't have a landlord and have a mommylord instead.

Meenu: The filter is a penn-plax small world filter.
    430.jpg
    Recommended by the LPS where I bought the fish.

5. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I have some concerns that it may not be possible to even cycle your tank... it seems to me that the mollies will produce too much waste, and the parameters won't really get steady in that small amount of water.

You may need to just do the daily water changes with Prime until you upgrade to mommylord.

6. image_imageValued MemberMember

This makes my heart sad. I have been looking into tanks and considering the space I will have at my mom's. I don't know if I can fit a 20gal. tank at her house. Would a something between 12-15 gallons be still too small for 2 mollies? A friend of my boyfriend's, who also keeps fish, says that a 15 gallon would be plenty because fish only grow to a size that accommodates their living space. I certainly won't keep them in a 2 gallon... because holy moly, I feel so bad for keeping them in there...

7. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

is the profile for the fish.

As far as size of tank, you have to consider many factors that include bioload and swim space. A 20 tall, which is what mollies like, wouldn't take as much horizontal space. OI hope you'll consider that.

And I may be off on what I said about the tank not cycling. It's just a concern of mine, but I might be off... hopefully someone else can chime in on this.

8. image_imageValued MemberMember

Thanks, I've read that link a couple times!

9. LucyModeratorModerator Member

If you can get a 15g, that would be great. Not the minimum 20g that's recommended, but a great improvement to what they're in now. Of course, you know that already.

This is called stunting. It can lead to health problems and deformaties.
    Liken it to a child put in a short room. That child will continue to grow, however, they won't be able to stand up straight and would have to hunch over as they grow taller.

10. image_imageValued MemberMember

Well, that makes sense... and I'd almost rather get the 20 gallon if it means they're gonna be better off...

11. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

The bigger the better. If you can do a 20 or a 20 tall, I think that would be better. If not, then a 12 or 15 is still way better than the 2.

12. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

even a 10 is a big step, i mean thats 5 times more water volume right? I started off with a small tank (1.5g) so I feel your pain.