I'm Cycling?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Namtab, Apr 26, 2017.

  1. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

    first here is a little bit of a backstory... I recently filled up my 125 gallon tank, after assembling my filters I found some fungus on my driftwood, the kind of fungus you only find after/when your tank is cycled (pic attached)...

    There are no fish in the tank, There are no plants in the tank, and I have never dosed ammonia.

    Well I just tested my water (pics attached) and it appears I have 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 10-20 nitrate.

    The only thing I think could have given any sort of ammonia reading is debris from when I washed the sand (grass, bugs, sticks etc.)

    Is this a thing that happens? I am seriously confused right now

  2. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

    Test your tap for nitrates. The ammonia is at 0, to my eyes at least. Looks to be a bit of nitrite and nitrate though. It could be that something is rotting in your tank making it cycle, though...cycle enough to add a large amount of fish after there is no ammonia or nitrite...probably not.

  3. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

    Tap nitrate is at 5ppm (pic attached), the lighting in the room is really weird, to me the picture looked different than the actual color, I could see the slightest tinge of green in the ammonia test. 0426171546.jpg
    Even if my tap does have nitrates, (which it does apparently) does it explain the fungus on the wood? I thought that fungus was caused by the bacteria.

  4. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

  5. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

    It is from a well.
    Tap parameters: ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5.

    I did just find a small insect (dead) in the tank, I am assuming that might be the cause?
  6. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

    The fungus/mold is likely causing ammonia in your tank, it can show up while you are cycling, if you are cycled, and really at anytime (maybe not that kind, but other kinds). I would say that your tank is cycling right now, and the stuff on the wood is likely your source of ammonia.
  7. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

    It is highly possible to have ammonia in well water from fertilizer run off that leeches into the aquifer, but from what I see it's 0ppm. It's strange to me that quite a few people lately seem to be reading the ammonia as .25ppm. This is about the 4th thread in a week that people have reported .25 ammonia when there should be none.

    As the driftwood decomposes it will add ammonia to the tank, so this is also possibly the source.
  8. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

    It is more slime than mold or fungus, I normally only see it in a cycled/cycling tank, I never knew it produced ammonia.
  9. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

    That "slime" is extremely common for a new piece of driftwood in a tank. It will eventually go away and is completely harmless even if there were fish in.
  10. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

  11. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

    It might just be that my eyes are failing/playing tricks on me, I did find a few blades of grass and a small (dead) bug at the bottom of the tank.
  12. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

    The little white dots make me thing "mold or fungus" I could be wrong though :)
  13. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

  14. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

  15. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

    It seems it's likely you have ammonia in your well water (fairly common). I hope you plan on using Seachem Prime for your water conditioner, because it works well to bind ammonia long enough for the BB to consume it.
  16. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

    Yes I am using Seachem prime (I have more than one tank running atm, also this isn't my first tank)
    The funny thing is I was planning on getting an RO/DI unit for various reasons (none of them serious problems), now I have one more reason to add to that list (I do realize this isn't a serious problem either).
  17. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

    Nice! Yeah I was mostly curious. That amount of ammonia in well water isn't that concerning and fairly common like I said, but it's something to be aware of for sure.

    Hopefully that slime will clear up sooner than later for you. Good luck!

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice