5 Gallon Tank I'm considering getting an African Dwarf Frog

mygerbilprince
I want to purchase one or maybe two ADFs but I wanted to see if there is anything I should know beforehand. Any concerns or advice is appreciated.

FishDin
Just want to emphasise this point from Lucy's ADF article, "A lid is a must. They're great escape artists and can squeeze through a tiny space."

mygerbilprince
Thank you so much! I do have a few questions though. Should I get a pair? Whats does a healthy ADF look like? Is the male's song loud? (I have other animals in my room and I just want to know if it will bother them) Are males or females better pets in your opinion? How long do they usually live? Lastly, is there a way to keep a male and a female together and just remove their eggs?
Lucy said:
Hi!
Yup, there are several things.
Here's our care guide:
Care Sheet For African Dwarf Frogs | Amphibian Forum | 36417

Read up then ask any specific questions you might have.
There are several members who keep them that can help. :)

Ashlyn1620
mygerbilprince said:
Thank you so much! I do have a few questions though. Should I get a pair? Whats does a healthy ADF look like? Is the male's song loud? (I have other animals in my room and I just want to know if it will bother them) Are males or females better pets in your opinion? How long do they usually live? Lastly, is there a way to keep a male and a female together and just remove their eggs?
I have 2 adfs and my male hasn’t made any sounds since I’ve had him. Maybe other people have different experiences but mine are silent. I have a pair and I do think they will thrive more in a pair.
My male and female are both active and so fun to watch, but my female is a little more active so I think it’s hard to say which one is better. I think they all have their different personalities that you’ll get to know.
I can’t say exactly how long they live due to experience because this is my first pair, but with proper care they can live 5+ years. I’m not sure about the last question, but if you don’t want babies I suggest getting 2 of the same gender. Males typically have a white dot under their armpit whereas females do not. Females can also be quite larger than males and have a more pear shaped body.
I know I’m not an expert, but I hope this helps a little!! Good luck!

Lucy
Not much to add. Ashlyn covered most of it.

1) Yes, at least a pair depending on tank size.

2) Clear eyes, not too thin. Not floating all the time. Look at their toes. Make sure the webbing, toe and toe nails are in tact.
No sores or red marks, especially the legs. If they are shedding, it should be mostly in one piece or some pieces, just not tattered and shredded.
You might want to observe them in the store for a while.

3) The male mating call won't bother anyone. It's like a Zzzzzt Zzzzzzt sound.
I think someone posted a video recently. Some members could hear it. I know there are videos on youtube.

4) They are usually too young to sex at the store, but no, nothing to be concerned about.

5) Depends on whether you want to try to raise the tadpoles. The parents will usually eat most of the eggs. Some may hatch and the parents will probably eat them as well

If you want to raise them here is a comprehensive guide written by a breeder. It's time consuming but very rewarding
ADF Tadpole Development | Amphibian Forum | 96366

mygerbilprince
Lucy said:
Not much to add. Ashlyn covered most of it.

1) Yes, at least a pair depending on tank size.

2) Clear eyes, not too thin. Not floating all the time. Look at their toes. Make sure the webbing, toe and toe nails are in tact.
No sores or red marks, especially the legs. If they are shedding, it should be mostly in one piece or some pieces, just not tattered and shredded.
You might want to observe them in the store for a while.

3) The male mating call won't bother anyone. It's like a Zzzzzt Zzzzzzt sound.
I think someone posted a video recently. Some members could hear it. I know there are videos on youtube.

4) They are usually too young to sex at the store, but no, nothing to be concerned about.

5) Depends on whether you want to try to raise the tadpoles. The parents will usually eat most of the eggs. Some may hatch and the parents will probably eat them as well

If you want to raise them here is a comprehensive guide written by a breeder. It's time consuming but very rewarding
ADF Tadpole Development | Amphibian Forum | 96366
Thanks, I don't want to breed them. I just wanted to know in case I got a breeding pair.
Also, is sand a good substrate for adfs? Or should I just go with larger pieces of gravel?

Celestialpearl
The call isn't loud at all. You could mistake it for a internal pump beginning to go bad as in my case.

I would go with larger gravel. When they eat they use a sucking action, so they can suck up sand when going after food, get impacted and die. Down side to large gravel is food can get stuck out of reach. I use small glass "bowels" as feeding dishes. They are actually for candles. A watch glass or Petri dish would work as well.

mygerbilprince
I bought decorative rocks meant for fillers for plants or other arrangements. If I rinse them really well are they safe to use as a substrate?

Lucy
Can you post a picture of them?

mygerbilprince
I decided to not use them because stuff was coming off them after every time I rinsed them.
What is a good gH range in ppm for ADFS? Currently, my water is very hard (300 ppm). If it needs to be softened how would I do that?

Lucy
I've got hard water but not as high as yours so I can't advise.
I had it tested once. Had to do some searching on the forum. Way back when, it tested at 150. if you can believe one of the chain pet stores.

Celestialpearl
From what I understand, ADFs can handle a broad range of parameters given that they are kept stable. Their native range includes central Africa, and to my current understanding varies in water hardness from soft to hard water. 300 on the higher end. Provided you either replace top off water with distilled/RO water or just keep up on a water change you should be able to maintain the tank around 300 and be fine.

A quick google search shows most sites say between 5-20gH which is equivalent to 89.3ppm-357.2ppm gH

To cut down on gH you have to dilute your source water with either RO water or distilled water. This will decrease the amount of calcium and magnesium per H2O. This is often a method used to induce breeding in soft water fish, or to keep soft water fish if you literally have liquid rock for water.

As for the decorative rocks, they are almost always coated in wax. You can clean them, but have to boil the out of them to get the wax off. Technically this also runs the risk of the rocks cracking and exploding as air pockets inside expand and burst. I have not had it happen to me, yet. Another way to get these rocks is to go to a landscaping company and ask if you can buy small quantity of river rock or something else. They may even just give it to you free. Otherwise go to your home improvement store and look around in the landscaping section for bags of rock to see if there is any you like. Make sure to check online sites as well for deals or other rocks for other projects...like Lowes.. which sells dragon stone for $65 for 44lbs. Or you could go out and collect. Just know that in some states it is illegal to take rocks.... so don't get caught.

mygerbilprince
Thanks for the info.
So today I went out and purchased my frog. I let him acclimatize for 10 minutes before I released him into his new home. Now his is acting kind of sluggish and is hiding in a cave. Should I be worried?

Top Bottom