I want to purchase one or maybe two ADFs but I wanted to see if there is anything I should know beforehand. Any concerns or advice is appreciated.
Yup, there are several things.
Here's our care guide:
Care Sheet For African Dwarf Frogs | Amphibian Forum | 36417
Read up then ask any specific questions you might have.
There are several members who keep them that can help.
I have 2 adfs and my male hasn’t made any sounds since I’ve had him. Maybe other people have different experiences but mine are silent. I have a pair and I do think they will thrive more in a pair.mygerbilprince said:Thank you so much! I do have a few questions though. Should I get a pair? Whats does a healthy ADF look like? Is the male's song loud? (I have other animals in my room and I just want to know if it will bother them) Are males or females better pets in your opinion? How long do they usually live? Lastly, is there a way to keep a male and a female together and just remove their eggs?
Thanks, I don't want to breed them. I just wanted to know in case I got a breeding pair.Lucy said:Not much to add. Ashlyn covered most of it.
1) Yes, at least a pair depending on tank size.
2) Clear eyes, not too thin. Not floating all the time. Look at their toes. Make sure the webbing, toe and toe nails are in tact.
No sores or red marks, especially the legs. If they are shedding, it should be mostly in one piece or some pieces, just not tattered and shredded.
You might want to observe them in the store for a while.
3) The male mating call won't bother anyone. It's like a Zzzzzt Zzzzzzt sound.
I think someone posted a video recently. Some members could hear it. I know there are videos on youtube.
4) They are usually too young to sex at the store, but no, nothing to be concerned about.
5) Depends on whether you want to try to raise the tadpoles. The parents will usually eat most of the eggs. Some may hatch and the parents will probably eat them as well
If you want to raise them here is a comprehensive guide written by a breeder. It's time consuming but very rewarding
ADF Tadpole Development | Amphibian Forum | 96366
|Thread Title||Aquarium Forum|
|Considering getting a krib||Kribensis - Krib Cichlid|
|Considering Getting A Dwarf Puffer||Puffers|
|Considering Getting A Rosy/sand Boa||Reptile|
|Considering Getting A Blue Acara Cichlid. Need Help!||Betta Fish|
|Strongly considering getting cherry shrimp of different colors||Cherry Shrimp|