Im considering EI dosing but??

Wayne73

Hello, can anyone answer this. I'm thinking of EI dosing. I've co2 running at 2bps giving me a 1 point drop on my ph from 8 to 7. As regards to EI dosing I've got all my numbers worked out for the aquarium (55 gallon).I'd be dosing an all in one liquid fertiliser (TNC COMPLETE). My concern is I've a 5"deep gravel substrate which I use root tabs for the heavy root feeders various swords and other stem plants,plus various crypts.Would the root tabs cause my EI dosing go haywire and send my reading through the roof.??? Both the root tabs and all in one ferts contain nitrogen and phosphates.

Attachments

• 20220424_143511.jpg
    20220424_143511.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 13

ppate1977

I don't have enough experience with el dosing to know if root tabs will case an issue, but I wanted to say your aquarium looks great.

Mudminnow

In my experience, one can dose using the EI method and still use substrate fertilizers. That's the thing about EI, you'll have more nutrients in the water than the plants can use anyway, so a bit more doesn't really change anything.

dcutl002

I would not worry about the root tabs much. But, with EI dosing you will need to perform a 50% water change weekly to "reset" the balance of nutrients. I found a link for you on the subject of EI dosing: EI light: for those less techy folks

I would like to add that I used to EI dose and it does make the plants very lush, but I have since switched over to PPS Pro dosing. Basically, with PPS Pro you are giving the plants just enough nutrients daily without the need for excessive water changes.

In addition, regardless of the method of fertilization that you prefer, you man mix your own and save a lot of money. I included a fertilization calculator if you are interested.

Planted Tank Nutrient Dosing Calculator

Wayne73

I would not worry about the root tabs much. But, with EI dosing you will need to perform a 50% water change weekly to "reset" the balance of nutrients. I found a link for you on the subject of EI dosing: EI light: for those less techy folks

I would like to add that I used to EI dose and it does make the plants very lush, but I have since switched over to PPS Pro dosing. Basically, with PPS Pro you are giving the plants just enough nutrients daily without the need for excessive water changes.

In addition, regardless of the method of fertilization that you prefer, you man mix your own and save a lot of money. I included a fertilization calculator if you are interested.

Planted Tank Nutrient Dosing Calculator
Thanks for your reply and the links you've added. I've used the calculator before to check the amounts needed for my aquarium. I do think in time I will convert to dry products for ei dosing.thanks again for your input, the root tab issue doesn't seem to be an issue after reading your comments. An on an end note I do already perform weekly 50% w/changes.So that isn't a problem.

ruud

Not so sure if an all in one fertilizer is handy for EI. Phosphates and iron bond together and the bonding is affected by ph. Not sure what the ultimate effect is, but it seems that at least the efficiency is hampered. As plant growth follows Liebig's law, I think it is worth the effort to release certain nutrients on specific days and not together. Or at the very least, separate dosing micro's from macro's.

Wayne73

Not so sure if an all in one fertilizer is handy for EI. Phosphates and iron bond together and the bonding is affected by ph. Not sure what the ultimate effect is, but it seems that at least the efficiency is hampered. As plant growth follows Liebig's law, I think it is worth the effort to release certain nutrients on specific days and not together. Or at the very least, separate dosing micro's from macro's.
I do have a liquid iron fertiliser too if that's the case of some elements binding.

Wayne73

Thanks I currently use TNC complete and TNC iron, uk product

Badas

I look at EI and root fertilization as two separate systems. The roots use the nutrients in the substrate and the leaves can use the water column. Depending on your cap, the substrate nutrients may not be getting into the water column in any sufficient amount to matter. And as others have said, with EI dosing, you always have enough nutrients in the water column so some leaching from the substrate is irrelevant.

And to answer your question directly, I do it all the time with no issues. Keeping up with water changes is the key.

Mudminnow

I look at EI and root fertilization as two separate systems. The roots use the nutrients in the substrate and the leaves can use the water column. Depending on your cap, the substrate nutrients may not be getting into the water column in any sufficient amount to matter. And as others have said, with EI dosing, you always have enough nutrients in the water column so some leaching from the substrate is irrelevant.

And to answer your question directly, I do it all the time with no issues. Keeping up with water changes is the key.
Welcome to Fishlore Badas.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BruinAquatics
Replies
Views
greggles
  • Question
Replies
Views