I'm an idiot. My poor Betta.

1. ashleyb

ashleyb Valued Member Member

Two weeks ago I came home with a new Betta, his name is Drogon. He's a dragonscale I had been eyeing for over two weeks at Petco, every time I went in there I fell in love with him. I tried positioning his cup from the bottom tier to eye level of the customers and two weeks later he still hadn't been taken home. I didn't want another tank to look after but I eventually bought him. Had to have him.

What caught my eye the most about him was his color scheme, which is nothing short of gorgeous. He is mostly a deep metallic purple, but has bright red and a lot of dark green mixed in. The pictures really don't do him any justice at all. I just think he's absolutely stunning. His top and bottom fins are lined in jet black and it really makes everything pop. His back fin was lined in a deep green/gray. Except now I've come to believe he has fin rot, and this whole time I've thought this was his normal color pattern. I went to check on him today and he's missing a nice chunk of his back fin, which was definitely there yesterday. He was recently evicted from his 10 gallon so I could keep an eye on an injured fish (my actual quarantine tank was treating new fish that came in with bacterial infections - we've been a mess around here lately) and moved him to a 6 gallon temporarily. Excuse the cloudy water as I just did a gravel vac and rinsed his sponge in the bucket (but any time you pick up a sponge to be cleaned there will be messy water). I did a 50% water change and will probably be doing 20-30% daily with gravel vacs until I see some improvement.

Any advice on how to speed things along? Also, his 10 gallon will be freed up tomorrow - should I keep him in the 6 gallon as to not stress him out with another move? Or return him to the 10 gallon that might be a little more forgiving on water params? So many questions.
    Flowingfins any advice?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

He's beautiful!
    I would do a large water change on the 10(90% or so) and move him over. Daily water changes should help him heal. No medicine or salt needed. It's in the early stages so it should heal relatively quickly:)

3. fisharegreat8962

fisharegreat8962 Valued Member Member

4. Flowingfins

That link isn't the best, it describes fin rot, but putting your betta in a QT tank causes unnecessary stress, and using aquarium salt isn't recommended. If overdosed or used too long, it can cause liver and kidney failure.
    Don't fall for pimafix/melafix/bettafix either, they contain melaleuca oil wich can cause the swim bladder to expand, suffocating your fish.

5. OP
    OP
    ashleyb

Yeah, I don't have any reason to put him in a quarantine since he's the only dude in the tank. And I didn't plan on using any meds yet, and salt is hugely debated on this forum so I'm not too comfortable with that. I was only asking because to ME the fin rot looks severe, but that's because I'm not used to seeing big hunks missing in any of my fish's fins, other than a Betta I owned for years who was a fin nipper.

My injured girl is all healed up, I was giving her an additional 48 hours just to make sure she's good and will be added back to the community tank tomorrow. After that, he will have his planted and properly substrated home back. Right now he's bare bottomed, which has helped with making sure the tank is clean but I still believe he'll be more comfortable in his regular home.

Thanks for the responses!

6. Flowingfins

No problem:)
    His fin rot isn't bad at all, it should heal up in no time.

7. OP
    OP
    ashleyb

I've been doing daily 30% water changes and his fin rot is getting worse.. I noticed today there is a little fraying on his fins and another (small) part missing. I don't understand because his water is nothing short of pristine. I'm religious about cleaning and vacuuming.

80 degrees
    Extra large sponge corner filter
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrites - 0
    Nitrates - 10ppm

Ideas? I don't know what to do.