I'm An Idiot. General Cure Dosage Help?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by CheshireKat, Aug 25, 2019.

1. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    So, today (well, yesterday for me now) I bought a 29 gallon tank as the PetCo Dollar Per Gallon sale was ending. Also bought 7 Rosey Red Minnows, 2 female platies so my males can stop fighting over my remaining female, and a male Molly since mine suddenly and randomly up and died to unknown causes (his mouth was open and lips stretched out... Very weird).
    I don't really like preventative treatment, but I read a few times that the minnows likely have parasites due to the mass numbers they're kept in as feeder fish, so after changing my mind once or twice, I treated the tank with API General Cure, which I had on hand.

It wasn't until just a bit ago when I got up to to eat a can of Spaghetti-os at 2:30am (don't judge me) that I glanced in the tank as I passed by and it suddenly dawned on me that I treated for 30 gallons--and only have 10 gallons in the tank because I'm planning on getting a rack soon and don't want to have to drain the whole tank to move it, plus to make dosing easier.
    "What an idiot!" I exclaimed aloud before digging into my sugary carbs I shouldn't be eating.

So uh...any advice on what I should do since I dosed them 3 times what's needed? Fill the tank up or add water to dilute it? Drain some water (won't be easy as there's only a couple inches)? Or will it be fine?
    I'm pretty annoyed I wasted 2 packets of meds, dang it.

2. abbytherookiehuman

abbytherookiehumanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    2 years
    Let’s start with the basics, your fish need more than a couple inches to swim in. I don’t know much about general cure but either way you should add some water to your tank. This will Benefit the fish by giving them more space and diluting the chemicals even just a bit

Would also recommend seachem quick start if its a brand new tank and you’ve got fish in there already

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They have enough water, it's just spread out because the tank is long. I'll add another 5 gallons, but I'm not filling it to the top yet. Unless I absolutely have to because of the meds.

I have gravel, a filter, spiderwood, and java moss, and an airstone from other tanks in there. This isn't my first rodeo. I'll be testing to make sure there's no problems

Edit: I guess they have 6 inches of water. I measured.

4. MissNoodle

MissNoodleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +728
    I would do a 75% water change so the dosage is 1/3 of what it was originally, personally. But i could just be paranoid. To me though this is the logical option in this case.

Many people use less water when medicating, such as using a 5 gal tank even, to save on dosage amounts, making their medication last longer. Takes less to treat 5gal than it would for 50gal, right?

5. OP
    OP
    CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That was my thinking process. I originally was going to buy a 20 long and a 10 and use the 10 for quarantine but they were out of 20s so I went with just a 29. One packet of General Cure treats 10 gallons so I was only going to use 1 packet. But dumb me for some reason was thinking of the whole tank when it came time to treat.

6. abbytherookiehuman

abbytherookiehumanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    2 years
    Just as long as they have enough room to swim around
    Like you can have a 30 gallon puddle but it still won’t be deep enough for anything to swim in you know?
    And goodgood that you’re seeding it with the bb from your mature tanks. Best of luck