I'm Allergic To Fish Food! :|

Miles Green

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, seriously!
And no, I haven't been eating it myself. :yuck:

First i thought is was springtime allergies... then i realized it happened when i was close to the aquarium.... It turns out, it's the dried krill/daphnia/mosquito larvae/tubifex mix. Just opening the little jar makes me sneeze and my eyes tear! I've been loving this new hobby, but this is something i didn't expect. No worries, I'll find a way around it though.

Sorry if this is too off-topic, but i thought it would be fun to share an odd story or two. Take care and happy fishkeeping!

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad you figured out what it was!!

Allergies to bloodworm are pretty common because they are so close to mosquitos. (Not the same species, bloodworms are a type of midge larvae and contain no actual blood, their color is all natural.) If that is the issue, it is easy to avoid. I have reactions to this myself, and it took me a while to figure out it was the fish treats!

However, daphnia can cause cross reactions with other insects, and krill can be a problem for those with shellfish allergies.

Be careful and see if you can sort it out safely. I don't think it will affect your fish too much.

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I used to have some seafood allergies so I use small spoons to feed all of my tanks. I never touch anything with my hands, even flakes.

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I use tweezers (and for frozen stuff gloves). I am a Celiac and touching some of the stuff gives me rashes. I feel your pain.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Dang, I never even thought of that! I hope all of you guys are okay, I'm glad you figured it out. For me, I found out pimafix really messed with my asthma, the first time I used it I remember thinking "they said it would smell nice, it doesn't smell that nice" then right after that "wait why can't I breathe"
But wow, I never thought of allergies by just touching the fish food, that's a good thing to keep in mind.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I read somewhere, several years ago, that tubefix worms were a powerful allergen, and should never be fed bare handed, which was a shock to me, because they were a primary food back in the childhood family tank day and aftetward, when I was just starting out.

Could they be your issue?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom