I'm about to cry

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Siphon ride and fungus

I just bought a tiny (1") fancy goldfish this sunday and introduced him into my 55. Things were going well but I noticed a couple spots on him that I wasn't sure if they were ich or not. I decided to move him to my 10 to keep an eye on him. So I was siphoning water into the 10. I wasn't watching close enough and he got sucked backwards through the siphon and into the 10. I promptly freaked out.

I've got him all set up now. The filter has cycled material in it already and he's swimming around looking for food. But he's missing scales and isn't using his left pectoral fin much, like it hurts.

Is there anything I need to do for him besides making sure his water is clean? I'm going to run down to the little pet store around the corner to try and find some more tubing for an air stone since I'm out and a heater for the tank. But my hopes aren't high, they don't have much fish stuff there. Should I even raise the temperature to try and get rid of the potential ich right now? I have API Stress Coat+ and put a bunch in while giving him fresh water (he's got about 50/50 from the 55 and fresh) is there anything else I should grab? My only problem is that I don't have my license and the soonest I can get to a better pet store is Saturday, or I have to order off the internet and wait.

I'm all worried that I doomed this little fish.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh poor thing! How upsetting.
How's he doing? Melafix is good for gold fish injuries.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright, after a trip to the grocery and pet store I've made it back with fresh garlic and air tubing. Great selection at both of them, you can guess.

Anyway, got a little bowl and crushed up a clove of garlic with some tank water in it. I first tried to give him a little piece of garlic but of course he was having none of that. So I soaked a tiny shrimp pellet in it for a minute then gave him that. He's pecking at it and eating a bit so it can't taste too horrible. Got an airstone in there for him now too.

He's swimming around and eating, after the initial shock he seems back to normal for the most part. He's using his left fin a little more too, though not as much as he was the past two days.

If anyone has any more advice I'll gladly take it. I'm gonna search around online for a heater and see how fast I can get it here. I'll keep you updated.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think he is going to be fine. Just keep his water clean. Goldfish are pretty darn tuff.

Unless he looks like he has been sprinkled with salt all over his body, it probably isn't ich. It is possible it is a cottony fungs. You can treat with Maracin if you want, but you might just want to give him a couple days to see if it clears up on it's own.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Two little white dots has multiplied to at least five little white dots, three new ones are on his tail. He's also become a lot more listless but is still eating and will come to the front of the tank if I approach. He also hangs around the top a lot, even though I have an airstone going. I'm glad I got him out of the 55 when I did. All my other fish look perfectly fine, even my loaches who are supposed to be ich magnets.

I've been giving him garlic juice soaked food. Still don't have a heater, waiting for that. I tested the water and it's fine, 0,0,5. I don't know what else I can do for the little guy for now. I fretted over him all last night.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't think it is ich. if it was, you wouldn't be able to count the spots cause there would be too many and they'd be too small. Goldfish don't generally require heaters I don't think.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was getting the heater to try and kill the ich, not as a permanent thing.
If it's not ich what could it be? They're little white dots, one on an analfin, three or so on the very edge of his tail fin, and one on his "stump" (he's missing the bottom half of one of his tail fins and there's a stump there. It looks like it was a birth defect)

My camera's batteries are dead so I can't get a picture.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do they look like salt? If they do, they are ich. If they are bigger, probably fungus.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I really don't know, they look kinda more like fuzz than salt, especially on his analfin where I first noticed it. He's so tiny and this is my first time with anything like this.

I managed to find one battery to bring my camera back to life for a short while.

Today:
872.jpg

873.jpg

874.jpg

Yesterday:

875.jpg

876.jpg

Sunday:

877.jpg

878.jpg

If I need to circle things to make them easier to see just ask.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Circling and/or larger pictures from today would be helpful. What I am seeing looks like fungus not ich, but I am not 100% sure that I am looking at the correct thing.

I can say I don't see anything resembling ich on your fish.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
1.jpg

Now with circles.

I tried to get a better pic of his other side but he's not fond of the camera.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He looks like a fry still!

If you're taking about the white tufts on the edges of his tail in the third pic down, that's definitely *not* ich. That's more like columnaris or another fungus. Ich really literally does look like someone sprinkled salt on the fish.

I'd treat with melafix and pimafix first before trying medications. Keep up the garlic and daily water changes.

-Lisa

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, that is what I was looking at. That is a fungus not ich. Ich looks like salt sprinkled all over your fish. I have never had to deal with fungus, but I know they sell fungus medications (different than meds used to treat ich) but I am not sure if their is a more natural way to combat it or not.

EDIT: I got ninja'd! I'd try the above suggestions before medicating.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, thanks so much for the ID you guys. It's still gonna be a couple days before I can get to the store (one of the few times I'm really frustrated that I don't have my license yet) I'll keep doing what I'm doing and hope he can hang on.

FishHobbiest

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Stay in there lil guy

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have has success treating fungus with Maracin. Good luck, and I still think he will be fine. My goldfish had a much worse case of fungus and made a full recovery.

Oh yeah, if you do use any meds in the tank, be sure to remove your carbon first, since the carbon will remove the meds from the water.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright guys. Yesterday he was looking almost 100%. Most of the fungus spots were gone, he was cruising around happy, no cares in the world.

Today his health somehow took a nose dive. He's covered in fuzz in places it wasn't there before, incredibly lethargic, won't even look at his food, and he's just hanging around in the floating plants I have for him. He's having trouble staying right side up while in the plants ("laying" on his side) and when he does swim down he's constantly floating from the tail up.

I grabbed some pimafix for him last night and I'm starting treatment today (I removed the carbon from the filter two days ago, it was old anywho). Now, the pimafix says not to do a waterchange throughout all seven days. Should I listen to this? Tank parameters are still good, 0,0,5, but the bottom gets kinda grody after a day. Not sure where it all comes from but every morning it needs a good vacuuming.

In any case, I'll try feeding him again tonight to see if it takes, he seems to do better in the afternoons anyway. As always, thank you everyone for the help and support.

(PS. I tried to change the title since this isn't an emergency anymore, but it didn't take? o_O)

Edit: Now there are little white worms on the bottom of the tank. What in the world?

Edit 2: So they're probably nematodes and I only see a few of them so I'm not too worried. Just weird as I'm only feeding him once a day, vacuum right after he's done eating, and I rinsed the filter the other day too. Oh well. They're just icky looking D:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Even with doing the Pimafix/melafix I would do water changes if the ammonia/nitrites got out of control.

My 5 gallon that I dose melafix in forms some kind of gross stuff on it also, its kind of like nasty cotton looking stuff, it vacuums right up.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads