I'm about ready to destroy my cycling 10 gallon

1. markah1 Member Member

:;fruWell I think I've about had it with this tank. Today, I woke up to my java moss and hornwort completely covered in white stringy stuff. Its also all over gravel and even fake plants but mostly on my java moss.

I did a 50% water change and added TSS this morning. I have an established tank an I've never had this problem before. Here are some pics.

You probably won't see it too well but it looks like a cob web like material. This tank has stressed me out more than my midterms did last week. If there weren't any fish in there, I would throw it through my window.

Can someone please tell me this stuff will go away once my tank is cycled? It's just one thing after another and I'm ready to give up. My java moss looks like as does my hornwort.

Attached Files:

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Are you sure it isn't something that sttled while in the safestart bottle? I'm sorry I can't really see anything in the photos.

3. markah1 Member Member

I added the TSS after I saw the stuff. The second picture is much better than the first when you click on the thumb but I figured it would be hard to see.

4. Paintcraze Member Member

I had stuff like that when my tank was cycling......the platies actually ate it and it was gone in a few days. I haven't seen any more since.

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I am sorry I can't see your pictures really well. It could be a fungal growth from cycling your tank. From what I have read, it is fairly common and you just wipe it off and keep on going. Or as Lexi said maybe it is something that settled from your safe start bottle.

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I take it back, you added the TSS after. So, I think it is an unobtrusive fungal growth. Just rinse or wipe it off and it should cause no problems.

7. markah1 Member Member

I could do that but I am afraid that I would remove some of the bacteria from the TSS. I've had fungus on my driftwood that went away after awhile but these strands of white stuff don't look too similar to the fungus that was on my driftwood. Also, the java moss looked fine for the first week or so and little by little, this stuff grew and is now covering every inch of my tank.

8. markah1 Member Member

Mine has gotten worse in the last few days and my fish don't seem interested in it. My ghost shrimp do but I only have 4 of them in my tank.

9. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Just try to be patient and see what happens. Fishkeeping involves a lot of patients, and it seems to me that, much like myself, patients doesn't come naturally to you either. (And here I thought everyone from CA was so layed back. You sure you're not from Jersey?:))

10. escapay Well Known Member Member

Which of the 10 gallons is this that is experiencing the problems? You've got two listed in your aquarium info, one started in January and the other was 2/17.

On another note - my aunt had Hornwort in her 20 gallon with same exact issue. I'll have to ask her what she figured out and how to get rid of the white stuff (as I see it on the plants, especially the hornwort since I've seen it before). Then again, she doesn't have any plants now.

jdhef - not everyone from CA is laid back... many of them that are driving around Oregon are the speedy drivers. Not all of them of course - sometimes they are going slow (we're talking like 20 mph in a 30-35 mph zone).

11. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

jdhef - which town in South Jersey do you live? I live in Moorestown.

12. RTBS Member Member

Ohh wow this doesn't sound too serious... Try to remove it with a net maybe or just be patient... Why are you cycling an established tank?

13. markah1 Member Member

Sorry I probably wasn't too clear. I have two tank. The first is established and the second isn't. I tried removing it with a net it but the stuff is stuck on pretty well. I can take it off my hands but there's too much!

And I usually am a laid back guy but college midterms are stressing me out right now. Luckily, I will be going snowboarding this weekend before my trip to AZ to release some steam!

14. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I live in Gloucester Township, on the side that borders Sicklerville.

15. GradSchoolZombie87 Member Member

I have that stuff on all my plants and my aquarium has been cycled for over 7 months! It's normal and won't bother anything. Don't worry about it as it's barely noticeablw.

16. RTBS Member Member

I don't blame you its very frustrating at times but just like everyone is telling you patience is the key... I used to have a chemical supply of atleast 5 things I added weekly... Now i use a product called Prime when I do weekly water changes and the fish adapt to the rest... Most importantly I do not have huge spikes in ammonia or pH levels... Everything really just works on its own as long as your not overstocking or overfeeding... Make sure your filter is sufficient and the temperature is regulated add fish slowly and only a couple every week... Have patience my friend...

17. iLikeFish0918 Member Member

South Jersey is quite the gem, isnt it? I grew up in Atlantic City and moved too Cherry Hill a year ago!!!

haha, were a great people lol

18. OUTINFRONT Member Member

I can't even get slime to live in my 35 gallon.:anim_63:If it is not hurting things leave it alone.:;smileyfrog

19. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I love it here. I grew up in cherry hill, and now live in atlantic city (brigantine) :)

20. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

A person after my true heart. What you said is my motto. Easy to say and recommend, but not so easy to do all the time!!