I'm A Terrible Shrimp Momma (shrimp And Mollys?)

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Snailwhisperer, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Snailwhisperer

Snailwhisperer Valued Member Member

I just got neocardina shrimp. There were 10 yesterday, all colors. Today there seems to be 1, blue matching gravel. I put them in a tank with three mollys and many snails. The tank is planted. Could they be hiding? Is there a shrimp that works well with Snails and Mollys? Can I keep neocardina with snails?

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

They could definitely be hiding, and should be totally fine with snails. I have mine with a mystery and two rabbits, and it's actually very popular to keep them with ramshorns. I'm not so sure about mollys, but bamboo shrimp or vampire shrimp get ~3 inches, and amano get about 2 inches, but I don't know if that would guarantee their safety

3. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

The snails, definitely. The mollies, I would question. It's very likely that they would be hiding while getting used to their new home.

4. Aegnis

Aegnis Valued Member Member

It's not uncommon to not see your shrimp for a while. But definitely keep an eye open for them -- the mollies could certainly go after them.

In case you don't find them and your mollies aren't eating them, here are some weird places I've found my shrimp:
    - inside my filter
    - inside my heater
    - under decorations
    - buried in gravel
    - buried in roots of plants
    - hidden on decorations
    - hidden inside of decorations

Good luck finding your shrimp!

5. Sakana魚

Sakana魚 Well Known Member Member

What kind of heater do you have where the shrimp got inside o.o

6. T

Tesla Valued Member Member

I suspect a combo of hiding and some fish food :( I had 6 shrimp in my community 75g and after a week i could see only one and a=then down to only 1. Off late i can see 3 shrimps in the tank after i changed the layout completely. Always provide tons of hiding space to the shrimp when keeping them with anything else. They are extremely vulnerable when molting,

7. Aegnis

Aegnis Valued Member Member

The kind where they have a tube for it to cling to the intake pipe -- my tank is too short so I just keep the heater separate and the shrimp dart inside the tube and get stuck!

8. OP
    OP
    Snailwhisperer

I have seen three of them now. Blue, red and brown. Hopefully they are hiding. :)

9. v

varmint Well Known Member Member

Shrimps will not do well in a tank with Mollies. Just a thought.

10. OP
    OP
    Snailwhisperer

I am now aware. I plan on putting them in a snail only tank. I am just waiting for it to cycle. It was all an unfortunate mistake on my pat. I am hoping that planted tank is better than cycling tank.

11. v

varmint Well Known Member Member

You have the right attitude, you will do well when it comes to fish keeping. All the best.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice