I’m a Newbie, Making A LOT of mistakes );

Norbyland

I had a goldfish in a bowl as a kid, Mr T. He’d pass every two years or so and we’d get another Mr T. When my kid wanted an aquarium, I was like, no problem, easy peasy.

I bought a tank with filter, plant, and gravel at Petco. Then some fish (after a week!). Immediately, two of them died (Glo Tetras). The Glo Shark and 4 other tetras survived. But after reading online, I realized the Glo shark needed a much bigger tank than the 5 gallon we had but we had no space for a big tank in his room so I got a 13 gallon. The shark’s pretty small, will have to reevaluate when he gets bigger. The tetras were the biggest at the store. My son insisted on the biggest, he’s 8, but I was pretty sure we were buying some pretty elderly fish. One of them seems so old, my son named him Skeletore.

We decided to get a beta for the old 5 gallon and put it in my daughters room. We cycled it for a week (I know, stupid) and then put the entire bottle of Tetra Safe Start Plus in before adding our girl, Rosie. She is so smart! I send videos and photos to my family and friends and they all think I’m a weirdo. Whatever, lol. Rosie is the bomb.

Unfortunately, when I had softened some Bug Bites, in a container, I poured almost the whole thing in Rosies tank. One of the dogs bumped me while I was trying to pour in a teeny tiny bit and boom! Suddenly, the snail was in its shell for a whole day and Rosie looked like she was using her gills more than normal. I check the levels twice a week but I decided to check again and the nitrites and nitrates were banana crazy. Nitrites at 20+ppm!!! And then I did a bunch of scouring and cleaning and stupid stuff. Needless to say, my dear Rosie is now in a netted enclosure in my son’s 13 gallon. It’s too many fish in that tank but I can’t get her tank situated. That’s why I’m here. Rosie needs to get back to her tank but the tank has gone up to 40 ppm nitrites. I change the water and after a day it goes back up. It makes no sense. The ammonia is around 1 ppm. I don’t know what to do. Must save a Rosie!!
Rosie!

Attachments

• 0678C728-2BEE-4686-8FDD-4E7B0F70599B.jpeg
    0678C728-2BEE-4686-8FDD-4E7B0F70599B.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 2C0BCEC9-5527-4217-8621-F163A1DADDA1.jpeg
    2C0BCEC9-5527-4217-8621-F163A1DADDA1.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 32

AggressiveAquatics

Sorry about your situation. Are you sure your not getting nitrites and nitrates mixed up? With 20-40ppm nitrites I have no doubt the fish would have been dead in minutes. Nitrates in the other hand are much more tolerable by fish and that much wouldn’t be an issue

Norbyland

Sorry about your situation. Are you sure your not getting nitrites and nitrates mixed up? With 20-40ppm nitrites I have no doubt the fish would have been dead in minutes. Nitrates in the other hand are much more tolerable by fish and that much wouldn’t be an issue
I am not. I wish I were. I’m not sure how she survived. The only thing I could find is that the PH was really really low in her tank, bad for the bacteria but makes the nitrite less lethal somehow.
I am not. I wish I were. I’m not sure how she survived. The only thing I could find is that the PH was really really low in her tank, bad for the bacteria but makes the nitrite less lethal somehow.
Oh! And it was 20 ppm nitrites when she was in the tank. I took her out when I couldn’t get the level down.

Oh! And it was 20 ppm nitrites when she was in the tank. I took her out when I couldn’t get the level down.
Also, the nitrates were around 100ppm. And now they are both double that before water changes. No fish in the tank. After water changes we are back to 20 nitrites and 100 nitrates and 1 ammonia.

Candace

Also, the nitrates were around 100ppm. And now they are both double that before water changes. No fish in the tank. After water changes we are back to 20 nitrites and 100 nitrates and 1 ammonia.

I recommend a thorough gravel clean and 100% water change if you're still having problems, couldn't hurt to rinse off any decor and give the filter a rinse in the tank water before the water change. I would also double dose the Prime (if that's what you use to treat your water) and do the 7 day doses of Stability if you have/can get it.
Also how many fish are in the 13g (ignoring the betta)? I'd definitely return/rehome the Glo shark now since they can become aggressive in smaller tanks quickly (I made the same mistake with a 10g a red tail shark and 2 mollies when I first started, my poor mollies had ripped up tails and fins when I returned them for their safety) and another concern would be the size getting stunted which will resort to a shorter life span. That's partly why so many goldfish don't reach their full 5-15 years, people just don't know and pet store employees usually don't either.

Norbyland

I recommend a thorough gravel clean and 100% water change if you're still having problems, couldn't hurt to rinse off any decor and give the filter a rinse in the tank water before the water change. I would also double dose the Prime (if that's what you use to treat your water) and do the 7 day doses of Stability if you have/can get it.
Also how many fish are in the 13g (ignoring the betta)? I'd definitely return/rehome the Glo shark now since they can become aggressive in smaller tanks quickly (I made the same mistake with a 10g a red tail shark and 2 mollies when I first started, my poor mollies had ripped up tails and fins when I returned them for their safety) and another concern would be the size getting stunted which will resort to a shorter life span. That's partly why so many goldfish don't reach their full 5-15 years, people just don't know and pet store employees usually don't either.
I already did a gravel cleaning. I can’t figure out what’s causing the spike. The tank looks great. Yes empty of fish. Can’t out any fish back in until level are berter. But can’t figure out how to do that.

Ouse

Welcome to Fishlore!

I quickly learned not to accept advice from pet shop employees because they usually get things very wrong and will mislead you if it means they‘ll get your money.

Whenever you clean out the filter do not rinse the media in tap water because the bacteria will be killed by chorine/chloramine. You can however rinse sponges in tap water.

I may have missed something but what dechlorinator/tapsafe do you use? I think the huge spike may be associated with the food spillage you mentioned.

Norbyland

I have been using 365 spring water. My tap water is not too bad but I read that hard water is not great for bettas. So, I’ve been using (tested) spring water. The levels have been great over the past 6 weeks. I agree that it was probably the accidental over feed. But how do I stop it? I practically emptied the entire aquarium and it still bounced back to unlivable conditions.

Ouse

So you changed the water by 100%, used tapsafe and cleaned the gravel?

Norbyland

So you changed the water by 100%, used tapsafe and cleaned the gravel?
I changed the water 95+%. There was a little left at the bottom. I rinsed the gravel. I rinsed the fake and real pants and the hide cave structure. It’s been a week of 30% water changes and the problem seems worsen
I changed the water 95+%. There was a little left at the bottom. I rinsed the gravel. I rinsed the fake and real pants and the hide cave structure. It’s been a week of 30% water changes and the problem seems worsen
I would have done 100% but at some point t the water stops siphoning.

Ouse

You still haven’t mentioned if you use any dechlorinator or tapsafe. You added the Tetra Safestart in the beginning but that’s it.

Norbyland

So
You still haven’t mentioned if you use any dechlorinator or tapsafe. You added the Tetra Safestart in the beginning but that’s it.
I used Aquatic Experts Tank First water conditioner.

Ouse

In that case I’m not sure what’s causing the parameters to spike so severely, provided you’ve cleaned the tank so thoroughly. The ammonia is lower than the rest suggesting that the bacteria colony is large enough to convert ammonia into all that nitrite.

Dunk2

What are you using to test?

Is it possible that your test results were so high that they were “off the test result chart” or much higher than the highest level on the chart?

If that’s possible, that could be why your water changes don’t appear to be lowering nitrite and nitrate levels.

mattgirl

If you are using test strips they may not be telling you the truth. They start degrading once the package is opened. Since they work by getting them wet I suspect the moisture in the air can cause them to give false readings when used.

ayeayeron

First off, I want to say dont beat yourself up over it. There is so much false info from the pet store that I have no doubt all of us made the same mistakes at one point or another.

I agree that it might be best to get a liquid test kit like the API Freshwater Master Kit. It’s much more accurate.

In terms of your nitrates, although 100ppm is seen as way above the norm, it probably shouldn’t hurt hardy fish like bettas. I raised cory fry in 80ppm of nitrates before. It does seem to bother snails though.
As for the nitrites though, I do suggest you do a 100% water change even if the readings are inaccurate.

Norbyland

Okay. I just siphoned out about 95% of the water in my 5 gallon and replaced the water with warm tap water (78 degrees) treated with prime and put in a full container of Safe Start. I ordered Stabilizer but it won’t be here till Tuesday. Maybe I can find it at the local aquarium store.

Now, suddenly my 13 gallon is showing a little under .5 ppm ammonia but no nitrites or nitrates!! I’ve had a bit of nitrates and they always go away with the a 25% water change with prime. Adding the Betta was bad for it maybe. To answer your earlier question, 13 gallon tank with 4 tetras, a baby shark, and, for now, a young betta. I siphoned the gravel on one side but I’ll have to take Rosie out to get the whole tank. Should I add anything other than the prime? Should I add purified water to lower the PH? I read that a lower PH can protect fish against ammonia and nitrite spikes.

I agree we should re-home the shark but my son is VERY attached to the little guy. My son has autism so...it’s a tough situation. Maybe we can rehome the tetras? I’d probably keep the big old one, Skeletore. I’m not sure he’d make it through a re-homing.He seems blind and stays away from the others. I have to tap the glass to get him up for feedings or he’ll completely miss out.

thanks for your patience!
If you are using test strips they may not be telling you the truth. They start degrading once the package is opened. Since they work by getting them wet I suspect the moisture in the air can cause them to give false readings when used.
I tested the. On my other 13 gallon aquarium and it showed 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. The ammonia strips do seem a bit wonky. Maybe I’ll pick up the more advanced kit today. It seemed complicated but, at this point, it’s getting complicated

mattgirl

Okay. I just siphoned out about 95% of the water in my 5 gallon and replaced the water with warm tap water (78 degrees) treated with prime and put in a full container of Safe Start. I ordered Stabilizer but it won’t be here till Tuesday. Maybe I can find it at the local aquarium store.

Now, suddenly my 13 gallon is showing a little under .5 ppm ammonia but no nitrites or nitrates!! I’ve had a bit of nitrates and they always go away with the a 25% water change with prime. Adding the Betta was bad for it maybe. To answer your earlier question, 13 gallon tank with 4 tetras, a baby shark, and, for now, a young betta. I siphoned the gravel on one side but I’ll have to take Rosie out to get the whole tank. Should I add anything other than the prime? Should I add purified water to lower the PH? I read that a lower PH can protect fish against ammonia and nitrite spikes.

I agree we should re-home the shark but my son is VERY attached to the little guy. My son has autism so...it’s a tough situation. Maybe we can rehome the tetras? I’d probably keep the big old one, Skeletore. I’m not sure he’d make it through a re-homing.He seems blind and stays away from the others. I have to tap the glass to get him up for feedings or he’ll completely miss out.

I tested the. On my other 13 gallon aquarium and it showed 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. The ammonia strips do seem a bit wonky. Maybe I’ll pick up the more advanced kit today. It seemed complicated but, at this point, it’s getting complicated
The strip in this case may be accurate but the numbers you were seeing even after changing out most of the water weren't making sense.

The tests in the API Master test kit may seem complicated but they really aren't. The instructions are pretty clear. Although the instructions don't mention this shake each bottle just before using them. You will find you get more accurate reading if you shake each of them. I have found it is easiest to add the correct amount of water to the test tubes by using a syringe of some type. Even a child's medicine dropper should work. Always fill them to the white line.

Pay very close attention to how to do the Nitrate test. There are a couple of steps that must be taken to get an accurate reading. First gently shake bottle number one. Add 10 drops to the test tube, cap and gently shake. Now really shake bottle number two. I actually bang it against the palm on my hand while shaking. We want to be sure the sediment in the bottom of the bottle is broken loose and mixed well. Then add 10 drops to the test tube. Cap it and shake the tube for a full minute. Set your timer for 5 minutes. The color you see at five minutes is the correct reading. It has been known to get darker after 5 minutes but disregard that color. The one at 5 minutes is the correct reading.

Ouse

As someone who is also autistic I know it can be painful for your son to part with a fish that interests him so much.

When you say “warm water” do you mean temperature matched water? Using boiling water from a tap won’t work...

Temp matching is mixing hot and cold tap water to create water that matches the aquarium water’s temperature. I recommend you do that if you haven’t.

We’ll try to help with the 13 gallon as well. First I want to ask: was it previously cycled?

StarGirl

What is the Stabilizer you ordered?

Norbyland

What is the Stabilizer you ordered?
Seachem Stability
As someone who is also autistic I know it can be painful for your son to part with a fish that interests him so much.

When you say “warm water” do you mean temperature matched water? Using boiling water from a tap won’t work...

Temp matching is mixing hot and cold tap water to create water that matches the aquarium water’s temperature. I recommend you do that if you haven’t.

We’ll try to help with the 13 gallon as well. First I want to ask: was it previously cycled?
No. Unfortunately, at the time, I had no idea that was a thing. I got 13 because the 5 gallon was obviously too small for a bunch of tetras and the shark. I read about the one inch/per gallon rule and ran to the store. Set up the tank. Checked the levels. I did not put in any good bacteria like I did in the 5 gallon. I didn’t know what I was doing. Luckily, I transferred the gravel and the decorations and hidey house over from the 5 gallon so I think the good bacteria came for the ride. It’s been running great for 6 weeks. It’s due for a good gravel siphoning. The only change is adding the betta and the net enclosure and some extra plants to keep her from seeing the tetras, who she’d love to destroy.
I did match the water! Who knew my turkey thermometer would come in so handy!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 25

StarGirl

Seachem Stability

No. Unfortunately, at the time, I had no idea that was a thing. I got 13 because the 5 gallon was obviously too small for a bunch of tetras and the shark. I read about the one inch/per gallon rule and ran to the store. Set up the tank. Checked the levels. I did not put in any good bacteria like I did in the 5 gallon. I didn’t know what I was doing. Luckily, I transferred the gravel and the decorations and hidey house over from the 5 gallon so I think the good bacteria came for the ride. It’s been running great for 6 weeks. It’s due for a good gravel siphoning. The only change is adding the betta and the net enclosure and some extra plants to keep her from seeing the tetras, who she’d love to destroy.
Yeah the inch per gallon rule is not accurate. Can you imagine a 5 inch fish in your 5g tank....lol
Turkey Basters work pretty well for maintenance also!

Norbyland

In that case I’m not sure what’s causing the parameters to spike so severely, provided you’ve cleaned the tank so thoroughly. The ammonia is lower than the rest suggesting that the bacteria colony is large enough to convert ammonia into all that nitrite.
I think I might have just figured it out! When I siphoned out most of the water this morning, I noticed there was still water in the filter. The 5 gallon’s filter is part of the aquarium and so you can’t take it off or empty it. I siphoned quite a bit of water from back there. Maybe when I did the “thorough” cleaning before, the muck from the over feeding stayed back there and wreaked havoc? Just now, the readings are ammonia under .5, nitrite 1ppm, and nitrate just over 50ppm! I didn’t rinse the gravel, media, or plants this time. Should I do that? Or do another water change tomorrow morning with more Safe Start? I’m heading to the aquarium store now to get more safe start and the stability stuff you mentioned.
Yeah the inch per gallon rule is not accurate. Can you imagine a 5 inch fish in your 5g tank....lol
Turkey Basters work pretty well for maintenance also!
Turkey Baster! Brilliant!!

mattgirl

I will step in for just a second to let you know there is no need to add both Safe Start and Stability. They are both bottle bacteria. If I was going to use either I would use the safe Start.

I wouldn't deep clean but would do another big water change. Deep cleaning at this point will remove too much bacteria. Just changing water won't.

Everyone in this hobby needs a turkey baster. It comes in handy for sooooooo many things......including filling your test tubes

Ouse

That could explain it.

There is no harm in removing the water from a filter as this is involved in cleaning them out anyway. As long as the media doesn’t come into contact with tap water you’re fine with draining out that dirty water. Make sure to do about 50% so there’s tank water left over to fill the filter back up.

More water changes too. This speeds up the cycle.

Norbyland

I will step in for just a second to let you know there is no need to add both Safe Start and Stability. They are both bottle bacteria. If I was going to use either I would use the safe Start.

I wouldn't deep clean but would do another big water change. Deep cleaning at this point will remove too much bacteria. Just changing water won't.

Everyone in this hobby needs a turkey baster. It comes in handy for sooooooo many things......including filling your test tubes
Thanks! I will then just get Safe Start and a water testing kit. My turkey baster is ready for work!

Ouse

BTW Norbyland, I edited my last post here a bit to improve accuracy (make sure you read over again ) and I’ll extend it further in this post. You could rinse the filter sponges (ideally in tank water) during the next water change. This removes the crud that is releasing ammonia.

With my external filters I don’t drain the water when cleaning because they’re so large. In an image you previously posted here I can’t see the filter anywhere lol. Is yours internal?

If your filter is internal you could just change 50% when you plan to clean the filter and use the other 50% of the water to refill the filter up. You’d still have some water left in the tank.

Remember not to clean out the filter too much because this could shock the fish. They have to really adapt to their tank’s conditions, especially during the cycle.

ayeayeron

Seachem Stability

I like natural tanks but I have to say this one is gorgeous!

BTW op, I do not see a need to rehome your tetras. Additionally, skeletore definitely will be happier with friends. As another neurodivergent, I’ve had to rehome fish and I coped by writing them letters. Silly I know, but I do think it’s best you rehome the shark or else you’ll need a MUCH bigger tank.
Writing them letters made me feel like I could let go of them easier and eased some of my guilt.

Norbyland

I took all of your wonderful advice. Both tanks are at zero ammonia!! Zero Nitrites!! Zero Nitrates!!! I checked with strips and then with my new chemistry kit. Huzzah! Thank you so much. What a great community

Can I put Rosie back in the 5 gallon? It should I wait a few days? Also, should I continue to treat both tanks with Stability for a week or so?(the store was out ofSafe Start).
I think I might have just figured it out! When I siphoned out most of the water this morning, I noticed there was still water in the filter. The 5 gallon’s filter is part of the aquarium and so you can’t take it off or empty it. I siphoned quite a bit of water from back there. Maybe when I did the “thorough” cleaning before, the muck from the over feeding stayed back there and wreaked havoc? Just now, the readings are ammonia under .5, nitrite 1ppm, and nitrate just over 50ppm! I didn’t rinse the gravel, media, or plants this time. Should I do that? Or do another water change tomorrow morning with more Safe Start? I’m heading to the aquarium store now to get more safe start and the stability stuff you mentioned.

Turkey Baster! Brilliant!!

Norbyland

I like natural tanks but I have to say this one is gorgeous!

BTW op, I do not see a need to rehome your tetras. Additionally, skeletore definitely will be happier with friends. As another neurodivergent, I’ve had to rehome fish and I coped by writing them letters. Silly I know, but I do think it’s best you rehome the shark or else you’ll need a MUCH bigger tank.
Writing them letters made me feel like I could let go of them easier and eased some of my guilt.
I love the letter idea! Not sure if it will work with my son. Wait and see. He’s got ideas about how things are to be and the when his expectations are not met, there’s trouble.

Ouse

Zero nitrates seems off...

Ammonia is converted into nitrite, which is converted into nitrate. Let’s wait a little longer to see if nitrate appears.

If no nitrate is being produced then the tank isn’t cycled.

Norbyland

Zero nitrates seems off...

Ammonia is converted into nitrite, which is converted into nitrate. Let’s wait a little longer to see if nitrate appears.

If no nitrate is being produced then the tank isn’t cycled.
This is embarrassing! I was doing the nitrate and ammonia test wrong. Putting solutions 1 and two in separate test tubes!!! I just tested again and the 5 gallon tank has zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and 5ppm of nitrates. The 13 gallon has a little more than .25 ammonia, zero nitrites, zero nitrates... About a week ago I did a 25% water change in the 13 gallon and I changed the filter ( it’s charcoal) and cleaned the sponge in tap water. Is that why I have ammonia but no nitrates?

Ouse

The 5 gallon would seem ready but just in case I’d test your tap water for nitrate just to be sure.

Did you reuse the media from the original filter? If not then the cycle in the 13 gallon has restarted.

Norbyland

The only Medea at the time was a bio sponge. It looked so nasty, and I didn’t know about cycling yet... ): I’ve really done everything wrong, think I might cry. Anyway, I rinsed the sponge in tap water and even let it sit in my tap water for a little while. I then decided to replace it and put in a new sponge. Then I felt funny about that because even though I didn’t know about the cycle, I did know it was important to have good bacteria so I went and got the old sponge and stuck it back in the tank. THEN I went online and learned about cycling and was like OH NO!! But all week, I’ve had no ammonia or nitrites or nitrates.I even added a Marine Pure sphere to the filter and another for the bottom of the tank (I also did that in the 5 gallon).

Looks like I screwed up again. How bad is it to cycle the tank with fish in it. I’ve researched online but there are conflicting theories. Will the tetras survive? They don’t seem super hardy.

Ouse

Calm down!

Cycling without fish is easier for beginners and is far less frantic. If you’re cycling with fish the make sure to consider all advice given in this thread so far.

Do a 50% water change once the ammonia and/or nitrite reaches 1ppm. Use tapsafe on new water rather than using beneficial bacteria as the latter will do nothing when used like this. I like to use Seachem Prime on new water.

I’d buy a new filter that includes ceramic rings for media, sponges and pads. A filter with only sponge is a bit useless, and makes any form of gravel cleaning dangerous.

Norbyland

The 5 gallon would seem ready but just in case I’d test your tap water for nitrate just to be sure.

Did you reuse the media from the original filter? If not then the cycle in the 13 gallon has restarted.
Yep! Nitrates in our tap water!! Over 5ppm!!!
Okay. Calming down. Ready to work. Alright, I assume at this point I should put the betta back in her tank and keep testing and water changing when necessary with Seachem Prime? Just work both tanks? It’s weird that there are no nitrates in the 13 gallon since I use tap water for that tank. And I did do the test right finally for that one lol.

Ouse

This is why there is nitrate then. I recently cycled my own 5 gallon and the nitrate content is still the same as with my tap water. However I’ve been adding a small portion of crushed flake every three days to add ammonia and “feed” the cycle. Also, there have been spikes as normal that have been lowered back to 0ppm so this is how I know my own 5 gallon is cycled. It’s just that the small flake portions haven’t been converted into much, provided they portions were only small.

Using tap water containing 5ppm worth of nitrate is safe. If this was ammonia or nitrite in any concentration level then it would be dangerous.

Anyways I’m going to bed now. Goodnight!

Norbyland

I was frustrated with the 5 gallon, thinking we were good because I had zero everything but .5 nitrates and then finding out that my tap water has .5 ppm nitrate so I waited 48 hours and emptied out half, filling the new water with spring water (tested with no nitrates). I then added 4 ounces of Safe Start Plus again. Waited another 48 hours. I’m seeing .25 ammonia, zero nitrites, and a little over 5 ppm nitrates. My betta seems happy. Curious as ever. Should I wait and see or add more spring water and more safe start? I’m concerned because I’m going out of town for 5 days on Sunday. I have a dog/fish sitter coming but... I’m worried that she won’t know what to do or will miss signs if Rosie is having problems. It would be easier to give her a program like : “check with strips (every day?) and if the levels are (?), call me and I’ll help you with the next steps.”
Ps. Master testing kit has been really fun! Don’t know why I was so freaked out about trying it!!
I was frustrated with the 5 gallon, thinking we were good because I had zero everything but .5 nitrates and then finding out that my tap water has .5 ppm nitrate so I waited 48 hours and emptied out half, filling the new water with spring water (tested with no nitrates). I then added 4 ounces of Safe Start Plus again. Waited another 48 hours. I’m seeing .25 ammonia, zero nitrites, and a little over 5 ppm nitrates. My betta seems happy. Curious as ever. Should I wait and see or add more spring water and more safe start? I’m concerned because I’m going out of town for 5 days on Sunday. I have a dog/fish sitter coming but... I’m worried that she won’t know what to do or will miss signs if Rosie is having problems. It would be easier to give her a program like : “check with strips (every day?) and if the levels are (?), call me and I’ll help you with the next steps.”
Ps. Master testing kit has been really fun! Don’t know why I was so freaked out about trying it!!
Added photo of the drawing bcsay720 did of Rosie!! She did such an awesome job

Attachments

• 8AACD16F-5716-4D51-83D5-F9DF8B453B5E.jpeg
    8AACD16F-5716-4D51-83D5-F9DF8B453B5E.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 5D811777-6311-40D8-9128-D802D62AB526.png
    5D811777-6311-40D8-9128-D802D62AB526.png
    307.4 KB · Views: 12

mattgirl

Since this tank is producing nitrates I think you are over the hump. As long as the ammonia goes no higher than it is right now I feel sure Rosie will be fine. Have your pet sitter run the ammonia test at least every other day if you are still seeing ammonia go above the .25 you are seeing right now. If it doesn't go any higher than it is right now before you have to leave I think it will be safe not to have to continue running the test while you are gone.

If the ammonia is still rising and you are having to do water changes between now and Sunday it would be better to continue checking at least every other day while you are gone so action can be taken before it gets too high.

Love the drawing of Rosie

Norbyland

Good info. Thank you. I’m finally calming down lol. But still need some direction. You guys on Fishlore rock!

mattgirl

Good info. Thank you. I’m finally calming down lol. But still need some direction. You guys on Fishlore rock!
Even we that have been in this hobby for years are still learning and occasionally need a helping hand too. We will be here if you need us.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
JPendy
Replies
Views