I’m A New Black Moor Mom!

ChildofGod12

Hiya! I just got my Black Moor goldfish today and I just wanted to make sure that I’m doing everything correctly. I’m going to be completely honest I don’t understand the whole nitrogen cycle thing (all of the ph, nitrates and ammonia words confuse the fire out of me!!) but here’s what I’ve done so far.

move got a 36 Gallon tank with an Aquaclear fluval filter for 30-50 gallons, and I dipped the media in an already cycled tank I have after I rinsed it off. The tank has been running for about a week now with the water conditioners (more then one) in it (one for tap water and just plain water conditioner)

My black moor is tiny, and has the tank all to himself as of right now. I did not realize he needed a bubbler and so I had to move a bubbler from a different tank into his just for tonight (we have one coming in just for him tomorrow)

with all of that being said, I’m still a worry wart and want to make sure that he’s doing ok. Now before I’m judged on over reacting, you gotta understand, I get attached very quickly and I adore animals, and I already love this fish (and he is a dream fish, I’ve wanted a black Moore goldfish for a long while now)

my questions are these-

is it normal for him to keep opening and closing his mouth constantly? Like, he never stops, ever.

also he sucks on everything (including his substrate but he spits it out) and the only food he seemed to like today (tho he may just be full) was some pellets that he sucked on and then spit out afterwards)

And lastly, he seems to have a bent fin. It is not the bends, which I have read of. It is just one fin in the back that has been bent almost as if someone just pressed it down or broke it. (I’ll attach a pic below) I’m hoping this happened before I got him and not after he was put in the tank

so anyway, those are my questions/concerns, and yes I am an overprotective animal mom just trying to make sure all is well

Attachments

• A3082F49-AD43-498E-9703-DD515DBB5D4C.jpeg
    A3082F49-AD43-498E-9703-DD515DBB5D4C.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 7

jtjgg

They don't "need" a bubbler as long as you have enough surface agitation for oxygen exchange. But goldfish tend to like swimming in the bubbles. And since you only have 1, it's something to keep him from being too lonely, since they are social.

Dipping new filter media into an established tank doesn't do much for speeding up the nitrogen cycle. Since most of the beneficial bacteria is in the filter media, some in the substrate, decor, and glass surface. Best way to start a new tank is to take a little bit of the established media and add it to the new filter.

goldfish do open and close their mouths a lot. but what are your water parameters? ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? it could be ammonia burn or nitrite poisoning. you should use a liquid test, the most common is the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

goldfish are carp and will constantly forage for anything edible.

bent fins are common, sometimes they're born like that, sometimes its from the overcrowded conditions at the fish farm. high quality goldfish breeders will cull these when they're smaller, but big box fish farms will sell anything for profit.

ChildofGod12

They don't "need" a bubbler as long as you have enough surface agitation for oxygen exchange. But goldfish tend to like swimming in the bubbles. And since you only have 1, it's something to keep him from being too lonely, since they are social.

Dipping new filter media into an established tank doesn't do much for speeding up the nitrogen cycle. Since most of the beneficial bacteria is in the filter media, some in the substrate, decor, and glass surface. Best way to start a new tank is to take a little bit of the established media and add it to the new filter.

goldfish do open and close their mouths a lot. but what are your water parameters? ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? it could be ammonia burn or nitrite poisoning. you should use a liquid test, the most common is the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

goldfish are carp and will constantly forage for anything edible.

bent fins are common, sometimes they're born like that, sometimes its from the overcrowded conditions at the fish farm. high quality goldfish breeders will cull these when they're smaller, but big box fish farms will sell anything for profit.
Ahh thank you. I do not know the water parameters, I need to get a test kit, but the nitrogen cycle stuff confuses me to be quite honest but yes, I will purchase one soon.

He is pretty tiny in that tank so I will probably get him a buddy later on, but wanted to see how he did first, also I’m curious on how many I can put in and what to put in the tank, because I don’t want to overcrowd it

I’ve read only 2 goldfish can live in 36 gallon tank, but then I was told 3 of my goldfish’s size can be kept.

(as of right now upgrading in the future is out of the question because the tank is in my bedroom and I already have other tanks so I do not have the space, and thats already a lot of water in one room)

jtjgg

goldfish grow up to be pretty big, about the size of a tennis ball. and will need about 20g per fish. so 2 goldfish max, unless you want to do more than one water change per week.

how often are you doing water changes? since you don't have a test kit to test the water parameters, I would recommend doing at least one 50% water change per week.

i would also recommend getting a bottle of Seachem Prime as it can help with fish-in cycle, to temporarily detox ammonia and nitrite while the tank is cycling.

ChildofGod12

goldfish grow up to be pretty big, about the size of a tennis ball. and will need about 20g per fish. so 2 goldfish max, unless you want to do more than one water change per week.

how often are you doing water changes? since you don't have a test kit to test the water parameters, I would recommend doing at least one 50% water change per week.

i would also recommend getting a bottle of Seachem Prime as it can help with fish-in cycle, to temporarily detox ammonia and nitrite while the tank is cycling.
Gotcha! Thank you so much! I haven’t done a water change yet because I just got the fish yesterday, but I’ll probably be doing one this weekend. And I will only get one Goldfish then (which was the original plan) but would u be able to get 2 large mystery snails (large enough not to be eaten?)
Or any snails?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Valleriani
Replies
Views
TheeLadyG
Replies
Views
TreeFrog32
Replies