I'm a genius!!!

1. joya

joya Valued Member Member

I made my very own siphoning vacuum cleaner for my small betta tank with just a suction tubing, & 60cc syring. The flow was amazing!!! I was so impressed! It works really good for picking up uneaten food & poop, & not to mention fast water change for the small tanks. I will try it out on my 29 gallon. It worked better than my aqueon siphon with pump. I will never buy a siphon again:)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Great job on the diy siphon! You could use the syringe for the poop you were referring to in the 29, just suck up the big bits and uneaten food with that :)

Your Bettas look beautiful. I love the colours! They would really thrive if they had a filter and a heater, you can pick them up pretty cheap on eBay and you could look into uprgading their tank size too, they become so much more active. I have a betta in a 3 gallon and one in a 7 gallon and boy, Eddie in the 7 Gallon has so much more personality! I'm definitely upgrading Percy's 3Gallon soon.xxx

3. k

k9z3boys Valued Member Member

see... you are a genius! :) great idea.

way back in the day dad used a jumprope- when they weren't nylon, cut the ends off and made a siphon that way

4. OP
    OP
    joya

Thanks guys! I'm considering getting my bettas a bigger tank. We have a 10 gallon & 29 gallon so far, 2 more tanks seems like a overkill, oh well I guess 2 more won't hurt, lol.

5. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I've seen some folks get one large(ish) tank and setup dividers. This way, you have the benefits of more stable water parameters, better filtration, without the cost of multiple setups! It will also help the bettas if the dividers are not see through so they aren't always posturing/stressing each other.

Awesome job with the DIY!

6. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

Nice DIY siphon!

I agree with phishphin that divided tanks can be the way to go with bettas. I've got two 10 gallons that are both divided for bettas. It lets me get two bettas in each one and was a lot cheaper to do than setting up separate tanks. There is a sticky thread in the betta section that shows how to make a DIY divider.

7. hollie1505

You could divide the 10G you have for them :)

....then just get two more tanks anyway to fill with lovely fish ;)

8. OP
    OP
    joya

Hollie1505, my husband has 3 dwarf gourami in the 10 gallon. We are going to upgrade the red blood parrots and red tails shark to a 55 gallon, and give the 29 gallon to the dwarf gourami. So then maybe my two beautiful bettas can live together but separate. 10 gallon tank with divider sounds awesome, unless I see something really pretty at the pet store. The pet shops have became my new addiction. It knocked target down #2 favorite store, lol. My husband & daughter says I need rehab. I so want to go right now, but if I do I'm sure I would spend money, and I don't want to overcrowd my 29 gallon anymore then it already is.

Attached Files:

9. hollie1505

That sounds like a great plan. You may have some aggression issues with the Dwarf Gourami even in the 29 though, they don't appreciate their own kind so much! The Betta's would love the 10 Gallon and if you get a mesh type divider you'd only need one filter and heater (which I assume the DG's already have! Money saving!).

The condition you have is called MTS or Multiple Tank Syndrome. There is no known cure and unfortunately your family, friends, aquaintances and complete strangers will have to endure your impulse buying and endless LFS withdrawal symptoms. Luckily for you, Fishlore is a common ground for us, it's like a support group. Fishkeepers Anonymous, if you will ;)

You could always leave your purse at home or take a certain amount of cash with you. Then run home to pick up your purse to buy the basket of stuff you have loaded :D

Lots of luck.x

EDIT: The half bowl wall hanging you have a Betta in, I have one of those in my bathroom and it has 4 different sized Marimo Moss balls in it. It looks great, I just change the water once a fortnight. Or you could use it as a vase to hold flowers... just some ideas as to what to use it for once the bettas are in the 10G :)

10. OP
    OP
    joya

Hollie1505, mts for sure! Thank god for fishlore! Please take a pic of your half bowl. Thanks again for the good advice.

11. e

echi1 Well Known Member Member

Hi,
    Great idea about the marimo balls and to add a little color maybe you could put a cherry shrimp in. But you would be doing more frequent water changes. As long as you keep the temperature at +72oF they should do fine. Good luck and I'm going to have to get some half bowls now!