I'm a fish owner of possibly 5 months (??) but i need some advice

CharlotteRr2016

Now a days there are a lot of controversies on how to look after fish. Especially between pet shops and owners. I have 3 Rosy Barbs and they are really great fish, very excitable and rarely hide behind the plants. I bought them from Pets at home and they recommended that I should buy a 19l tank for 3 and no more. I have had them for what seems a long time and they do seem to be doing fine and have no health problems but I see a lot of people online saying that this is too small. Do I need a bigger tank, and if I do get (maybe) a 24l tank, would I be able to get more fish. (other questions are revelant to this too like what fish go well with rosy barbs etc etc)
Thank you )

nedpatrick

Sadly the 19l is way too small as is the 24l. If you want to keep the rosy barbs you will need to upgrade to at least a 208l minimum. Also barbs need to be in groups of 6+ preferably more. In the 208l tank mates may be possible. If you can't upgrade I would rehome the fish barbs and get a betta

Al913

WELCOME to Fishlore!!!

The reason why there is a dispute between owners and pet stores is the fact usually pet stores just want to sell you fish in order to get money. Also they sometimes aren't educated in stocking a tank.

So I'm not sure if you actually got rosy barbs??? Can you take a picture. Rosy barbs get about 2.8" which is pretty big for schooling fish. Also these are schooling fish and need a minimum group of 6! These fish need at least a 3 feet tank due to their huge size. Thus you will need a 151 liter(40 breeder) tank

CharlotteRr2016

i'm not sure how to send pictures, i'm new on here. All three are around 4-5 cm long. The tank is 40-25 cm long and is 30 cm in height. They do seem so have a lot of space but then again i'm only young and don't have a lot of knowledge regarding fish

CharlotteRr2016

I may be able to buy myself a bigger tank but by gosh are they expensive!!! What's the smallest you recommend? Plus would I be able to have 3 rosy barbs + smaller fish or would the barbs pose a threat towards them?

nedpatrick

I may be able to buy myself a bigger tank but by gosh are they expensive!!! What's the smallest you recommend? Plus would I be able to have 3 rosy barbs + smaller fish or would the barbs pose a threat towards them?

I would get at least a 40 gallon breeder but a 55 gallon is better if you want to keep tankmates

Al913

So the rosy barbs need to be up to 6 if you do plan on getting a 40 breeder or 55 gallon. I suggest rehoming them if they are. If you can't up load the pictures just search on google "rosy barb" and see if they look like your fish. If you live in the U.S. then Petco has a $1 per gallon sale every 3 months for a duration of one month, thus the next one should be in January

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FyaNyan
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
Trott
Replies