I'm a daddy!

hop2jr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hay all my yellow chilid wasn't eating today I saw 1 baby hiding in the rocks and he is in with bigger africans should I try and fish him out and put him in his own tank or just let nature take its course and see if he servives? Also mom doesn't look good she is losing her tail fin and looks like a few scales are missing too what should I do for her?

xwarroir

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think you should take her out and the babies. The babies put in a separate thing from all the others (including the mother) cause they'll be eaten. You should put the mom in a hospital tank, and give her meds and stuff.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
can you post pictures for us?? that would be great we all love baby pictures.

hop2jr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I only have seen one baby and momma has started eating was thinking of trying to catch the 1 fry tommorro but will first have to catch the other 6 big ones first just so I will be able to catch the fry. How long should I Keep the fry seprated from the rest of the others?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI hop2jr congrast on the fry.
I don't know anything about breeding yellow cichlids but I thought I'd bump this up in hopes someone who knows about them will see it.

Arent' yellow cichlids mouth brooders? If so, I'm not so sure they'll eat their fry.

Wait for members who know more about them.
Sorry I couldn't be much help.

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
1st off the mom got beat up because She was holding eggs which the others take it as a fish that can't defend itself. 2nd the fry should stay on a different tank until is at least 1.5" long otherwise the bigger fish would target the small fish until is basically dead. 3rd the mom should be separated and put on qt with some clean water to prevent fungus and I would put some Pimafix to help healing the wounds. BTW if you are using a hang on tank net the other fish will get the fry because they have tendency to lay on the bottom and the bigger fish will get them through the net. Hope this help.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
she, herself, will eat them as soon as she spits also....so even though you separate her, be ready to catch fry/remove mom, as soon as she spits

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
See, I don't know about breeding cichlids. lol
Thanks Navy and Shawnie for your input.
Geez, she spits them then eats them? Pretty efficient. lol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads