I'm a begginer what type of fish should i get? 50 Gallon Tank

1. ang1329 Initiate Member

I am getting what i am told a 50 gallon bow tank. I read on liveaquaria.com that most cichlids are easy to take care of, is this true? I am hoping to get some varities african cichlids(semi-aggressive and aggresive) and a small pleco or two. How many cichlids and/or plecos can i house in a tank of this size? Also i was told that i can keep a rainbow shark and/or bala shark(sell when too big) with the cichlids, what would you say? Or if any other algae eaters(i also read that chinese algae eaters are good because they can get up to 10 inches and be agresseiv) that are better cleaners than plecos please do mention them for me. Should i watch about mixing semi agressive and agressive? Thank you.

:animal0068:Good morning. I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Suggestions section of the forum. I think this will help you to get more responses.
    Thanks!
    Ken

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome to Fishlore :)

If you plan on getting african cichlids I would not advise getting a rainbow shark or bala shark, bala sharks get huge and need very big tanks.
    If you are sure you want a pleco or two make sure you avoid the common plecos as they will get far too big for your tank, take a look at bristlenose plecos :)
    Im no expert on keeping african cichlids but I believe you could have around 14-18 from what I know, another member may come along with a more accurate amount :)

3. ang1329 Initiate Member

thank you. Also just a general cichlid question would it be a bad ideato mix semi agressive and agressive cichlids. Or in other words american and african?

4. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Mixing american and african cichlids is a definite no go! and also mixing african cichlids from the 2 lakes, tangyanika and malawi is not advised, do you wish to keep fish from tanyanika or malawi?

5. ang1329 Initiate Member

malawi for sure

6. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Ok well if you want malawi cichlids the bala sharks are certainly out of the question, malawis are too aggresive and must be kept in a species only tank, as I said before I think a maximum of 18 malawis would be fine in your tank with one chinese algae eater

7. ang1329 Initiate Member

alright thanks so much for your help. but one last thing, why is it that some people say barbs, and large tetras and large danios are kept with there cichlids, won't the cichlids eat them all because they are so small?

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fish Lore Ang. I hope you enjoy the site.
    Ken

9. ang1329 Initiate Member

thank you ken

10. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Other fish can be kept with some cichlids but malawi and tangyanika cichlids are just too big and/or aggresive to keep other fish with

11. ang1329 Initiate Member

okay thank you platy for all your hope. i know its all going to be helpful to me next week when i start stocking

12. platy ben Well Known Member Member

13. ang1329 Initiate Member

i've read a little bit about it. i mainly know of it from biology classes last year. Something to do with waste going through and turning into ammonia and then nitrogen and i have to let the water sit and check the levels before i put the fish in, correct?

14. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Absolutly right :) please read the fishlore article on this just so your'e certain :)

15. platy ben Well Known Member Member

16. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! What species of malawi were you planning on stocking? All malawi's are not compatible, although most of them are. In a 50 gallon tank, between 12-15 is a good number. It's advised to have 1 male and 2-3 females of each species to keep down aggression. Also, it's a good idea to stock them five at a time.

Hope this helps! We're glad you're here.

17. ang1329 Initiate Member

i was planning on a variety of yellow lab, bumblebee, some peacocks, johanni, zebras, Fuelleborni, demasoni. I read that if i vary the species they want attack eachother as much unless territories are invaded. Or should i not mix this many different species. I'll be sure to add 5 at a time like you told me, thanks for that tip.

18. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

From my research, the bumblebee and demasoni cichlids are too aggressive for the rest of your stocking list. In a 50 gallon tank, my advice would be to pick 4 species and have one male and two-three females of each. I would leave the bumblee and demasoni cichlids out of your stocking list, though.

Hope this helps!

19. nick1346 Initiate Member

4 kenyi
    4 yellow labe
    2 or 3 johanni's(agressive)
    3 cobalts