Illegal??

1. BonBon Member Member

Today I was visiting my LFS and was taking to an employee. I mentioned breeding my mollies and he said that it was illegal. He said he was going to have to call the cops on me. Then he tried to sell me the API water testing kit for $175! I told him it was ridiculous and I was going to have to go to petsmart, and then he started shouting at me and said if I was going to support a place like petsmart, I should just "get the heck out of his shop and never come back". Clearly he has lost his marbles.

2. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

He clearly has "issues", lol. I would take his advice.

3. Graphix Well Known Member Member

wow I can't imagine how he'd do that.

Suddenly threatening to call the cops on you and directly afterwards trying to sell you a test kit. Very strange. If it WAS illegal maybe that'd make him an accessory to your crimes :p

Can't have people helping you sort your water out with test kits to ensure all that insidious breeding goes without issues. lol.

4. BonBon Member Member

I know, doesn't make sense

5. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

How long have you been going there?

6. BonBon Member Member

Two years! I'm super disappointed because they had some of the healthiest bettas I have ever seen in a store...

7. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

It sounds like he had a really bad day, maybe give them another chance and talk to them about it? It sounds like they take good care of their fish, I'd give them another chance if not for them, for my fish. Hope all works out and I'm sorry you had this experience.:( Also, welcome to the forum!

8. BonBon Member Member

Thanks!

9. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

If he just works there and is not the owner, than I would have a private talk with the owner. He sounds like a loose cannon that can and will drive away business. With that kind of rant he also sounds potentially dangerous. Alison:(

10. BonBon Member Member

Okay, thanks for the advice. Will do!

11. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Just be careful and tell the boss where he can't hear you. Alison

12. chromedome52 Well Known Member Member

Minor point of fact: if you are in Florida, it is not illegal to breed the fish, but it is illegal to sell them to shops without a license. Still, the rest of this guy's rant suggests that someone should be calling the cops on him. Or maybe the guys in white jackets.

13. Jeepfisher Initiate Member

I think it funny that he thinks the cops would be remotely interested in such a heinous crime as breeding fish. Sounds like a nut job to me. Sorry to say but I would go back to that store if not to do anything but mess with him.