Illegal 'exotic' pets (this is a total hot topic for me!)

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Grow-a-Frog_Alert

So, Ill explain in short what the article is about...

Grow-a-Frog is a company in Florida that sell ACF tadpoles and froglets. ACFs are illegal in 13 states in the US and are considered exotic pets. Grow-a-Frog still ships to those states with out reguard for the law.

So the Nevada Department of Wildlife cracked down and charged the company a steep fine and made them promise to not ship to nevada customers anymore.

Along with punishing the company they put the story in the news and over 200 people in Nevada gave up their pet frogs to be euthanized (they didnt know they were illegal when they bought them).

These people's homes were not being searched, they were not facing punishment if caught (punishment for crimes like these is confiscation of the illegal pet). I can not believe that they honestly told people they would kill them, if they did then how could so many people just let someone kill their pets??

So, what would you do if you found out that something you had as a pet was illegal? Would you give it up to die?

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh dear, that is a very hard question. I think it would depend a lot on what it was, a fish . . . . . .very doubtful, but maaaaaaybe. Um, I think I would have to do a lot of research and find out exactly WHY the animal was outlawed. I also would like to see if there was any way I could like give it to someone in who's state it was legal. That is a very hard question, I'm not really sure what I would do.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would never give it up, I do a lot of research on any pet I get and if it is illegal then there is probably a reason for it and I would come across that reason in my research and then be able to decide if it would still work for me. The good thing is that where I live there is very little law enforcement and as long as you don't advertize you are doing something you will get away with it.

Flufeeh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Those people sound like my Mom, I told her we should get a ferret (they are illegal for the dumbest reason ever in NYC, look it up) and she said no because she thought the FBI would burst open through our front doors to check for illegal ferrets.. :|

FishHobbiest

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Those people have no hearts >.< poor lil frogs

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i'd probably not give it up if I got the pet before knowing it was illegal. however i'd probably not buy a pet I knew was illegal from the start.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would still keep it and love it as if it was a Legal pet, but I would have extra precautions as to not let it escape into the wild.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Is probably give it up. You have to look at the bigger picture. Non indigenous species that are able to thrive in the areas they've been introduced can quickly destroy the natural Eco system already in the area. When something has no natural enemies or food source it takes over. I'm not familiar with why these frogs are illegal but its probably because they can survive in the wild. That's why we can never release aquarium plants, animals or fish into the wild.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Flufeeh said:
Those people sound like my Mom, I told her we should get a ferret (they are illegal for the dumbest reason ever in NYC, look it up) and she said no because she thought the FBI would burst open through our front doors to check for illegal ferrets.. :|
I don't know why NYC has them as illegal but it might be a good thing becauseof the ferrets very poor health. Most ferrets are come from a single large farm in the USA and are inbred, because of this 99% of ferrets will get cancer at a young age. The vet bill will be a couple thousand dollars and it will usually come back and kill them or more vet bills with a decreased chance of survival through it. Ferrets though very cute and fun, do not make very good pets unless you have a lot of money to be able to put in vet bills. We got three ferrets not knowing there bad health and ended up spending thousands of daollars taking care of them only to have them pass away shortly thereafter.

Just wanted to add that, though I am sure that is not why NYC made them illegal. You are probably right, I doubt the FBI would break down your door for an illegal pet

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
suemvb said:
That's why we can never release aquarium plants, animals or fish into the wild.
+1 on that. I heard a women once saying she would just put her pleco in the Rio Grande River here once he got to big for the tank

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
That is a tough question. But, if I knew the pet would be euthanized, I think I'd take my chances and keep it.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would likely keep the pet (which likely wasn't illegal to purchase when I got it, as I don't buy animals that are illegal in my state, and I do try to stay aware of which ones are legal or illegal), but I would actively try not to breed it (separate males and females, if possible), and I would not buy any more.
Usually, states try to stop problems like this by barring the sale and transportation of such animals. Owners are grandfathered in (though they can get in trouble for transporting the critters if they bought them while they were illegal, or for selling/shipping them to someone else).

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There should be insurence for animals just like there is for people( free money) so that we don't hve to pay thousands of dollars when an animal get sick.

I had 2 turtles( don't know what kind they were) and I didn't know they were illegal here.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't have any illegals in my home but if any became one I would def fight against it. I definitely wouldn't give any of them up because I'm attached to every one of them (my pets right now are dogs, birds & fish of course) .....Id probably move to where they are not illegal ...

I can think of an animal I don't mind being made illegal...sometimes the exotic pet laws seem over board and sometimes they make sense....to me anyways....Also many different people will have many different views. Its sad that so many people are irresponsible when it comes to their pets ( of course there's always the possibility of escape even with pet parents who are not irresponsible) but I think I'm trailing off topic back on the trail, NO I wouldn't give them up, NEVER!!! CATCH ME IF YOU CAN!!!

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
konstargirl said:
There should be insurence for animals just like there is for people( free money) so that we don't hve to pay thousands of dollars when an animal get sick.
There is pet insurance or at least for cats and dogs, but it is by no means free in fact it is very expensive especially if you have multiple animals on the plan. It costs a lot and I am not really sure what case it would be good for, I know it is not any good for us.

Is there such a thing as free money, even for humans? If so please tell me where I can get some ;D

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I understand why ceritan species are illegal and even if I don't agree with it, I still can understand why certian laws are passed and I respect the law.

However, If I had an animal for any length of time and someone said this animal is illegal please turn it in to your local animal control for euthinasia. I would keep it! Why should an animal have to be killed?

I would never let any of my animals go out doors, whether it was illegal or not, so killing an animal because others would let it go doesn't seem very responsible. I think the responsible thing to do is to keep it safe in your home until it meets its end peacefully.

**On a side note about these frogs, they are increadibally hardy and survive for hours in a freezer, so any "humane" euthanaisa, unless its by injection, isnt very humane at all!

In california about 6 or 7 years ago there was a lady who found a sick baby possume and raised it. California found out about this lady and forced her to give it up and euthanized it. Possumes are local here, but it is illegal to keep one as a pet...so this animal had to die because she saved it as a baby.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kupcake said:
In california about 6 or 7 years ago there was a lady who found a sick baby possume and raised it. California found out about this lady and forced her to give it up and euthanized it. Possumes are local here, but it is illegal to keep one as a pet...so this animal had to die because she saved it as a baby.
That's odd. It's normal for it to be illegal for an animal to be taken from the wild as a pet, but the local DNR will often coach people on how to rescue a truly injured/abandoned animal, and I've got to presume that they just kind of look the other way when it comes to that person then having the animal as a pet.
The only time I've ever heard of the law actually being enforced around here are cases where people harvest healthy animals from the wild for use as pets (and there are even some cases, such as children collecting tadpoles, where that's accepted). It's really too bad that the authorities sometimes get too literal with the laws, and worry more about technicality than whether or not someone was doing right.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads