Ill Rescue Fish

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am happy to say I've rescued two fish in the hopes of healing them. (Yes they were free, i did not buy them.) I now have the two rescues, a young oscar that was being sucked against the filter (I am hoping to heal and get him a good new home otherwise he will have to go back or to another pet store... ) and a dumbo ear double tail (i think, his tail is pretty much gone and it goes to the base of where his tail would be on the top half, he swims like he is having issues with his swim bladder and has the shortened body of a DT, I think he was sent to the store in this shape because he is a new one).
Both will be getting medication and water changes daily, they are both being contained in smaller holding tanks because neither can swim well (they are not together), the oscar is in water at 78 degrees, the betta is in a little cooler water (72) but I can upgrade him to something warmer if it is suggested.
Neither are showing signs of fungus but they have been methylene blue dipped to prevent it in case. I am not as worried about the betta as the worst thing he has are swim bladder and the deteriorated tail. The oscar is quite a bit worse off, as he is having issues keeping upright, he is not floating and is able to swim when he tries to. He is damaged from the other oscars he was in with so his fins are slightly tattered, he has some marks on his body and I am not sure how long he was stuck against the filter - however his breathing has improved since I got him out of the tank with the other oscars.
If anyone has an suggests please let me know. I didn't want to just run through this alone specially if they make it.

Neptune334

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry, no advice here, but I’m looking forward to seeing how they do!

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Neptune334 said:
Sorry, no advice here, but I’m looking forward to seeing how they do!
I'll try and get pictures of them in the morning, i'm hoping the oscar is able to pull through tonight, the betta is stronger but my veil tail male Fury is pissy because he is beside him lol (but he is a jerk so it makes sense for him to be stupid about another fish near him - he has a full lid with holes he can't jump out to attack anyone), I expect the betta to pull through with his less severe health issues (still going to be checking on him just as much as the oscar though).

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got a picture of the betta, I don't think the oscar is going to make it through the night, both have had a water change because the oscar was breathing heavier and laying on its side as well as having an immense slim coat going on, he has an injury from the filter as well that I wasn't able to see until I got to giving him a water change, it also is right at his fin so was hard to see, he got stress coat to help relax him a little as well as prime into his water. The betta is unchanged though he is a little annoyed I woke him to change his water, he got prime added to his water but doesn't seem to be suffering.
The betta is laying on his side at the surface but it is a swim bladder issue for him more than him not trying. He is resting on the anubias I gave him as cover.
20171217_215209.jpeg Edit; this is not the container he is currently in this was just during the water change that way he wouldn't get knocked around.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I woke up to find neither made it, I don't know what went wrong with the betta but he was very stiff this morning and not moving even a little.

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wish I'd seen this sooner. 72 is chilly for a betta. Not deadly for a healthy one, but definitely uncomfortable for any.

Removing fish of any kind to clean, is more stressful than leaving them where they're familiar, and know here to hide. Use a spaghetti strainer to add water, so it doesn't jostle the water too much. If you're siphoning, use a bubble tube, so the water change is gradual, and the fish doesn't get pulled into the tube. (Seriously, I have a betta girl that I'm going to rename crayon, because she goes for a ride in the siphon every time. Just comes out of nowhere and then she's in the tube. I have never seen her coming, I just know when it's alread happening.)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom