Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Ill Rescue Betta Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Makennaroni+Cheese, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Makennaroni+CheeseNew MemberMember

All of these are going to be in regards to the original tank Arlington was kept in as he is currently in an emergency quarantine tank.

What is the water volume of the tank? 4-5 inch cubed
    How long has the tank been running? Apparently since August
    Does it have a filter? No
    Does it have a heater? No
    What is the water temperature? Unknown, room temp (likely hovering around 60F? I'm keeping it a bit cooler than it should be until I'm sure he doesn't have columnaris or anything else that would get worse in warmer temps)
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Singular male betta

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? Unknown
    How much of the water do you change? Unknown
    What do you use to treat your water? Unknown
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? They definitely did nothing to the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No
    What do you use to test the water? Likely nothing (I used the API liquid test.)
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: The API test was almost black, so higher than 8.0
    Nitrite: Unknown, test only shows NO3/4
    Nitrate: See ammonia
    pH: Unknown, but Erie tap water is around high 7 so I'm guessing that.

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Unknown
    How much do you feed your fish? Unknown, but there was a tonne of uneaten food in the gravel
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Unknown
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No, he was fed flakes

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? They had him since August, I've had him for 2 hours.
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Unknown
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Ammonia burn/sore, possible (slight) fin rot in some places, and cottony plumes on head and body.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? 100% water change and placed into an emergency quarantine tank. Nothing else as of yet.
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Unknown, but most likely not.
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Unknown, but he went from swimming slightly on his side and lifelessly laying on the bottom to moving more normally as soon as he was in cleaner water.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) I'm in a college dorm and I was sitting in the common room when two girls walked in asking if anyone wanted a free fish. I immediately knew it was going to be a betta as numerous girls got bettas as soon as they moved in (guilty), and I knew that the tank was likely going to be a bit dirty and far too small. I was right, but more right than I had been expecting. The tank was probably the smallest cube I have ever seen (no larger than 5x5x5 inches) and the water was so brown and murky that it was difficult to actually see the fish (I couldn't tell what colour he was, he just looked like a dark shape in the water). I immediately took him and got my travel/quarantine tank from my room (I boil everything that goes in that tank after every single use) and got the water to an appropriate temp, treated it, and got him floating in a little container. I saved some of the water to do a test and then let him float for 45 minutes-an hour or so before gently scooping him out and putting him into the new tank, making sure to get as little gross water into the new tank as possible. Once he got into the new water he almost immediately perked up and I could really see what was going on. He has at least one open sore (likely due to ammonia) on the left side of his back (our right) and cotton-like growths on his head and back. It looks like his tail might be either slightly torn or suffering with a mild case of fin rot (I'm not really sure as my first and only betta is a crowntail female and I've never had fin problems with her and the only fin rot I've ever seen was on my goldfish when they had columnaris). I'm really worried that it is columnaris and I'm getting really horrible flashbacks to when I lost 3/5 of my community tank. I'm unfortunately taking the train home for spring break and I'm unable to take him with me or get him FURAN-2 (if it is columnaris) until either Monday or Tuesday. I do have someone who is willing to do partial water changes + feed him while I'm gone (my 10g with Niagara has an automated filter and she's cycled so she'll be fine until I come back), but I won't be able to get him any sort of medication until Monday or Tuesday. Any advice? I'll be able to post pics tomorrow, but I can't now as my roommate is asleep.

2. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Wouldn't hurt to treat the fish for bacterial and fungal infections both. But if you're going on spring break, you'd be best not depending on a friend to treat the fish while you're gone. When you get back, if the betta is still alive, you can treat it. Just regular, clean heated water, a filter and judicious feeding will help tons for now. Good for you, trying to help a neglected (abused) animal!

3. BettaishValued MemberMember

Good for you!
    I think that pristine-clean water is always the best treatment in those kind of situations. You'll definitely want to treat for fungal and bacterial infections (when you get back) as said above, as well as adding some stress coat to the water if you haven't already. (It's literally the most basic form of medicine, but it really helped with some of my betta's fin rot)
    I think that's pretty much all you can do for now, but good luck!

4. Karenk2New MemberMember

Yea for Bettas!

Stan- The Butterfly Betta

Attached Files:

5. Makennaroni+CheeseNew MemberMember

Update:

Hey guys! Arlington's doing great-- all of his sores are completely healed up and he even built a few bubble nests in the last week! I used a little bit of Furan 2 when I got back to PA, but I don't think I really needed to because just having clean water and a proper amount of pellets seemed to help immensely. I actually think that the cottony 'growths' on him were actually his slime coat peeling off around the ammonia burns. I stuck his temporary quarantine tank next to my female betta's 10g for a few minutes today since he's all healed up just to let them both flare for a bit before I returned them to their respective sides of the room. Everyone's doing good!

Thanks for the advice, I was really worried that I took him in too late but I think I got him in the nick of time.