Ill Betta

1. lkevans Initiate Member

Hello there,

I have a crowntail betta with severe fin rot. He currently lives in a five gallon, heated tank. It did have a filter up until a few weeks ago, but the filter broke and I haven't been able to get a new one yet, though I do intend on investing in a new one soon. He has no tank mates as of right now, but previously he was in a divided ten gallon with my halfmoon betta. Unfortunately, he managed to jump the divider and the two fought - I separated them as soon as possible, but there was significant damage done to the halfmoon. However, he seemed to heal wonderfully, where as my crowntail seemed to develop his fin rot afterwards. Therefore, I'm guessing that's where the infection has come from.

I've been doing water changes twice a week, adding aquarium salt, and treating him with Jungle Fungus Clear tabs as directed. However, his fin rot hasn't cleared up yet, and it's been months now. :( Please, I'd love suggestions on what else I can try to help clear this up.

2. escapay Well Known Member Member

How much of a water change do you do?

Also, what were your water parameters before and now?

I'm also having this issue and it is most likely caused by stress due to water quality (my nitrates have been out of control AND pH seems to have crashed).

3. lkevans Initiate Member

I generally do 25% water changes.

Also, I'm afraid I don't much information about the water parameters. I know the PH is about a 7.6, so I should probably find a PH buffer... but other than that, I really don't know anything about it.

4. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

The best thing to do right now is keep the water as clean as possible with daily water changes. Also, is you have any Prime or stress coat, dose with that too.

There is no need to use a pH buffer. They cause way more harm than good. Fish can adapt to almost any pH.

Welcome to the Fishlore by the way! I hope you enjoy the site!

5. lkevans Initiate Member

Alright, will do. Also, should I continue doing 25% changes, or should I increase it to 50% changes? Should I continue using the Jungle Fungus tabs?

And thank you! :) I'm sure I will!

6. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

Without a filter, daily water changes will be required. Unclean, unfiltered water will add to the stress and will cause fin rot in an otherwise healthy fish.

If unable to purchase a test kit, take a water sample to your LFS and write down the test results. Don't let them tell you everything is fine or convince you to purchase a product to correct a water quality issue.

What water conditioner are you using with your water changes? I recommend Seachem Prime or Kordon AmQuel+ with NovAqua+. Both product lines will help to protect the fish from waste between the daily water changes.

I also recommend picking up a sponge filter at the very least. You can pick one up for a couple of bucks.

Once the tank is properly cycled and any water quality issues have been corrected, then we can offer other suggestions.

Good luck.

7. lkevans Initiate Member

Thanks, Dena. :) I'll have the water tested when I go in to get a new filter, which I plan to do this weekend. As for the water conditioner, I use Tetra AquaSafe Plus.