Ikea Stand?

1. tunafax Well Known Member Member

I'm looking for a stand for a 20 long but nothing looks respectable. I had a 20 on Ikea Hemnes before, and that was solid...

Now I'm looking at this. It's the exact width of the tank. It's already giving me a bad feeling...
  2. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd be hesitant to use an ikea stand for aquarium use... while their pricing is economical, so is their quality most of the time. Real stands are made to withstand all that water weight. I'd say the reward is not worth the risk here.

3. tunafax Well Known Member Member

That's entirely fair.

Cheap wood stands aren't too reassuring to be honest because my 45g tank+wood stand set from Petsmart sagged under an empty tank. So did most of the ones in the store. I got my dad to put a brace in the middle.

Ok, next. This is my next cheapest option from Petco. It's supposed to be metal.

Are we feeling better about this one? It looks very tip-able in a high traffic area, which is where it's going.
  4. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

I have a metal stand for one of the 10gs and if I bump into, it definitely wiggles a bit. In retrospect I would have preferred to get a cabinet type stand since it hides cords and acts as storage.

If you're handy and have space, building a stand is actually very cost effective and a great way to get a good solid stand. I wish I had room to build my own stands!!

5. SixThreeOh Member Member

The Ikea shelf looks solid. If Ikea was closer I would've gladly got that for my 20 long rather than the stand I got at the LFS, which definitely doesn't feel sturdy.
  6. Betrayer Well Known Member Member

I think that I am using that exact ikea shelf as a stand for a 10-gallon. I totally get what @Lchi87 is saying about the quality. However, with this particular piece I do feel completely confident. The wood (fake wood?) is quite thick and sturdy. There is no wobble to it at all. I don't know that I would chance an ikea piece with a large tank, but I feel good about it with the 10-gallon. You can kind of see it in this pic (we are away on vacation or I would take a better one for you).
  7. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

Nice know it works out for a 10g! Btw, the photo of your son and your tank is so precious, love it.

8. Betrayer Well Known Member Member

Thanks!! That is his new betta tank. He is so excited :)