Iguana Mini Pool Stocking Ideas

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I just got a 254 gallon, 1’3” tall mini pool to put into my iguana’s new up graded area. So I was wondering what creatires do y’all recommend? (Not heated)

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow! Iguanas are vegetarian? Right? I know they like fruit.

Is this an outdoor enclosure? What are your seasonal temperatures like?

Tell us more about the overall set up, please.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
maggie thecat said:
Wow! Iguanas are vegetarian? Right? I know they like fruit.

Is this an outdoor enclosure? What are your seasonal temperatures like?

Tell us more about the overall set up, please.
They are vegetarians, it is indoor high sixties low eighties,

I am planning on transferring some of the plants from my fish tank in it, some lily pads I also got a new filter which I am putting in the established tank and moving the old one to the mini pool to keep the water moving and to speed up cycling. The enclosure is next to a huge window, some sun will get in the pool

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With that sort of temperature range I'm thinking something like an old fashioned sailfin molly. They get big, up to six inches, and would look good swimming in a group in such a large volume of water.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
maggie thecat said:
With that sort of temperature range I'm thinking something like an old fashioned sailfin molly. They get big, up to six inches, and would look good swimming in a group in such a large volume of water.
I will investigate them, will there be any possibility of them being able to bite the iguanas, should they decide to go for a swim? Also I have three panda mollies could I put them in with the sail fins or would it be too cold for them.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They won't bite the iguana. The pandas could go in, I think. But the new hybrids aren't nearly as hardy as the old school type. I wonder if, as small as they are, they might be accidental prey for the iguana.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
maggie thecat said:
They won't bite the iguana. The pandas could go in, I think. But the new hybrids aren't nearly as hardy as the old school type. I wonder if, as small as they are, they might be accidental prey for the iguana.
Iguanas are herbivores, even if they would try to eat a fish they would never catch it

I looked the sail fins up I don’t know how they would look from above, any other suggestions?

Also got any suggestion on how to make water changes less frequent I don’t really think I wan to take fifty gallons out and back in every week?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you were willing to go brackish, there are Florida gobies available.

It's a big volume of water. They're outside of my wheelhouse, but maybe some cichlids ?

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If it matters the iguanas are 2 ft long by the time I move them into the new area they will probably 2.5 feet long, I am letting the plants grow out

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My experience with iguanas is limited to making friends with the ones at the hotels I stay at in the Carribean, so bear that in mind.

They didn't seem to spend much time in the water. Basking on the warm cement adjacent to ponds and pools, but not going for swims. I never saw any down by tidal pools either. (Although there were a fair few hanging out on the golf course.)

Do other keepers mix water features with iguana habitats?

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
maggie thecat said:
If you were willing to go brackish, there are Florida gobies available.

It's a big volume of water. They're outside of my wheelhouse, but maybe some cichlids ?
AJE said:
If it matters the iguanas are 2 ft long by the time I move them into the new area they will probably 2.5 feet long, I am letting the plants grow out
I don’t think brackish is an option and cichlids look pretty thin from above I think it would have to be something wider, like a koi, I know koi get too big

maggie thecat said:
My experience with iguanas is limited to making friends with the ones at the hotels I stay at in the Carribean, so bear that in mind.

They didn't seem to spend much time in the water. Basking on the warm cement adjacent to ponds and pools, but not going for swims. I never saw any down by tidal pools either. (Although there were a fair few hanging out on the golf course.)

Do other keepers mix water features with iguana habitats?
They hardly ever go swimming, except when scared or over heated, but they are very powerful swimmers, I is recommended. It helps with shedding and keeps the humidity up.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok so far It looks like I will transfer my pandas and be like every one else and get goldfish, unless someone recommends something else. How many gold fish could I put in, and what types?

I am moving the mollies because my guppies keep chasing them and thought it would be better for them to be in the pool or will the colder temperatures make it worse for them?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
On the one hand, your pond is indoors, so you could have fancies, stocked at 20 gallons per fish. But because they are in with karge and somewhat clumsy iguanas, I would skip the ones with telescoping eyes or other weird mutations.

If you were to go with commons, comets or shubukins (good bet if you want something a bit on the pretty side.) They get bigger so require 50 gallons pef fish.

No mixing the two, though. Pick one or the other.

I think your mollies will be fine in the pond.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Another option I would like to add is a couple of red ear sliders but I looked and I can’t find anyone who has said they keep them with iguanas I know they get big will they attack my iguanas?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really don't know. Turtles may carry pathogens that would be detrimental to your iguanas. Otherwise, I don't think sliders are especially aggressive. Snapping turtles, on the otherhand, would be a definite no.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
maggie thecat said:
On the one hand, your pond is indoors, so you could have fancies, stocked at 20 gallons per fish. But because they are in with karge and somewhat clumsy iguanas, I would skip the ones with telescoping eyes or other weird mutations.

If you were to go with commons, comets or shubukins (good bet if you want something a bit on the pretty side.) They get bigger so require 50 gallons pef fish.

So I could get four or five of those. They are selling some at my pet store about four inches, how long would it take for them to grow a bit? And off topic a bit, what does this “points” thing mean it says I have six on my profile?

maggie thecat said:
I really don't know. Turtles may carry pathogens that would be detrimental to your iguanas. Otherwise, I don't think sliders are especially aggressive. Snapping turtles, on the otherhand, would be a definite no.
Thanks, I would never want to keep a snapping turtle I like my arms

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldfish grow shockingly fast, under the right conditions. Last October I brought a fry I found into the house and overwintered it. You could barely see it, it was so small. It was 3 inches when I put it in my pond last month. That was a shubukin. They can grow six or more inches in a year and top out at a foot, although 8 to ten inches is more usual.

Oh. The points? No idea. Periodically the mods launch various user rating systems evaluating quality of posts. It might be tied to that . There's a how to use the forum subform. You could probably get an answer there.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can I keep red ear sliders with my iguanas or would they harm my iguans? Hi

maggie thecat said:
Goldfish grow shockingly fast, under the right conditions. Last October I brought a fry I found into the house and overwintered it. You could barely see it, it was so small. It was 3 inches when I put it in my pond last month. That was a shubukin. They can grow six or more inches in a year and top out at a foot, although 8 to ten inches is more usual.
Cool you seem to know about ponds, my brother just got some koi, but a Herrin keeps taking them out and eating them any advise?

maggie thecat said:

Do you mean I can’t mix mollies and golds or just not golds?

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you mean in the same tank....that would not really be possible. Completely different environments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom