Iguana Mini Pond Up Dates And Stuff.

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by AJE, Jul 5, 2018.

1. AJEWell Known MemberMember

I am adding two gold fish today, is it good about them having two tails? I got the cheapest ones the store had. Any ideas for algae eaters?

Attached Files:

2. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Yes it's good about the two tails, they don't move too fast and most say they look better when viewed from above. I've also heard they tolerate higher temperatures better.
    Amano shrimp and ramshorn snails are what I use in my goldfish tank, and they do a good job with the algae. Nerite snails are the best, but I don't know their exact temperature range...
    Mystery snails mainly eat meat and stuff, but mine sometimes munch on my green spot algae, and mine have lived and thrived at 64°

3. AJEWell Known MemberMember

Cool, I also b
    two mysteries, hoping they will breed with the one in my tank, and something cool is that my rosy barb’s bud died and we went to the store to get more rosy barbs(they ran out) he is schooling with the golds. Tomorrow we are adding my pleco

4. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Wow, that’s coming along great! Nice job.

5. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Nice! Is the water a few inches from the top? Mystery snails lay eggs outside the water, and if they can't find a spot, they go off wandering around the house...
    Hope you got a male and female, the little baby snails are cute

6. AJEWell Known MemberMember

It is about an inch or two from the top.

7. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Should be good enough, 2 inches would be good, 3 is pretty much guaranteed that the snail won't crawl out.

8. AJEWell Known MemberMember

79CE71A9-7CA4-4E54-A1C7-DF029F13726C.jpeg612DC6B0-4AA3-4583-B1DA-D8A8F5F32E0B.jpeg972D785B-31E3-466E-8CA7-1D83551F793D.jpeg Added two more mollies and check out everyone hanging out in their groups

They do move very slowly, I have even thought they were dead a couple times. They have even slowed down the rosy barb. I would wont to add some activity. Any suggestions? More rosy barbs if so how many? Another fish/frog/invert?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2018
  9. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

A frog would be very likely to escape and go exploring. Danios are very active fish but you would want one of the bigger types. They may nip at the goldfish tails though.

10. AJEWell Known MemberMember

I was thinking an aquatic frog like an African clawed frog, what type of danio would you recommend?

11. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

I was just thinking of active fish. Only the Giant Danio would get big enough at 4 inches to really see well in a pond. How about a Clown Loach? they get pretty large, are attractive, and are pretty active. The only thing is they get up to 12 inches long and need a temperature of at least 75 so maybe not a good choice. They might not be good with snails either so scratch that one.

Maybe a more active type of goldfish, like a Shubunkin.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  12. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

White clean mountain minnows are fast so they'd be able to avoid the fancy goldfish, but they're small, about 2 inches. Maybe some dojo loaches, or even rope fish if you wanted something like that.
    Activity wise, maybe some gold barbs or checkered barbs, but they may fin nip as well.

13. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

An african clawed frog will eat all of your fish. Dwarf frogs need a species only tank to really thrive.
    Most danios are going to be nippy but they will also eat fry produced by any fish.

14. AJEWell Known MemberMember

Thanks guys I added a pleco today, sorry for the yellow water a tomato fell in:)4F8EC86B-5BBC-4ABD-A55B-E5E83B88F087.jpeg

15. AJEWell Known MemberMember

16. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I know they like a sandy bottom, but I don't know if that's necessary...
    You'll need lots of hides, flower pots on their sides will work, the temp will have to be at least 70, they like groups of 5 or more, and they will likely eat some of the smaller fish. So you may lose some rosy Rosy reds or baby mollies.
    Other than that, honestly I don't see why not. Other than the fact that you won't see them too much sicne they're noctural, but if you're fine with that, then sure

17. AJEWell Known MemberMember

Ok, so no

18. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, they're a lot of work for not seeing them often, or at all

19. AJEWell Known MemberMember

Day three of Stevish (pleco), haven’t seen him all day, he probably found a cave in one of the bricks, he did hide a lot for the first few weeks when he was in the tank

20. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Plecos are really good at hiding too, just about any catfish will be. Hopefully he adjusts and feels comfortable enough to come out soon :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice