Iffy Aquarium Decoration?

Discussion in 'Reviews - Equipment, Products, etc.' started by Elkwatcher, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Elkwatcher

ElkwatcherWell Known MemberMember

Questioning my recent purchase of an aquarium ornament in the pet section from a big box non- fish selling store. Not a Penn Plax, but a Chinese version called Harmone. I remember reading about issues with the gilt and paint used on some but I bought anyhow, and at home scrubbed the daylights out of it on the outside not considering the interior. Nothing came off the exterior.

On day 2 of putting it in the tank a perfectly healthy Oto died and a whole school of previous active Bloodfin tetra's went into hiding staying grouped at the bottom of the tank with what looked like "shimmies" I immediately removed the ornament since it was the only new addition to the tank, did a 50% WC and dimmed the lights. Next day the tetra's were still hanging near the gravel and shimmying so did another 40% WC.

When I checked the ornament I noticed a chemical smell coming from the inside and checking with my finger I was able to remove a dusky coating off the product.
    Currently the Bloodfins still have not recovered completely, staying low and in the plants doing their dance. All other fish... 5 Oto's, 5 Pepper Cory's, 2 Honey Gourami's seem fine.

So I'm wondering if I'm just seeing a spawning behaviour with the Tetra's and the Oto death was a normal coincidence? In the meantime the Zen ornament has been soaked in several baths of hot water and is awaiting a scrub... not sure if I want to risk putting it back in the tank though.

Zen ornament bottom.jpg

Zen ornament 3.jpg

New Buddha.jpg

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Definitely wouldn't put it back in there.It is a cool piece but losing even a single fish IMO after adding a new decor is an instant red flag also if you could smell something from it..Its' leeching something dangerous... keep it out of your water and find something else. Just my thoughts.

3. OP
    OP
    Elkwatcher

@kallililly1973 Definitely agree, the fish are more important and even one loss is sad. My thoughts are there are a bunch of unsuspecting people buying these ornaments. I'll start looking for a glass buddha replacement.

4. Icewolf

IcewolfValued MemberMember

This happened to me actually 6 months ago, it made the water smell foul and chemical, killed a whole school of ghost shrimp and my lobster. the shrimp were literally jumping out of the water. It was so horrible. I did water changes after removing the ship that turned my water toxic, I ended up returning it to the store I got it from, and just driving in the car was nauseated by the smell it put off. I also ended up draining the tank and soaking the sand and all the plants in aquarium salt. I pretty much cleaned everything until the smell was gone then ran the tank with nothing in it for over two weeks and smelled it everyday just in case. It was bad. I wouldn't put it back in your tank, I wouldn't risk it anyways.

5. OP
    OP
    Elkwatcher

It's unfortunate there aren't more reviews or discussions online about these ornaments, I had read your post and it did stick in the back of my mind when I was buying this actually. Too bad they couldn't be recalled and taken off the market like some pet foods have been. I doubt the big box is going to get rid of them...

6. Icewolf

IcewolfValued MemberMember

Whats crazy is the brand I got is whatever brand Petsmart sells, it was a horrible experience. Any decorations now get soaked in water for 48 hours in a bucket and a good sniff test before going into my tanks.

7. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Unfortunately even then i'de still be skeptical. That's why your better off adding Live plants, Rocks and Driftwood. to give your inhabitants the most natural enviornment possible. Not at all knocking anyone that likes to add the columns and castles and statues and bubble making ornaments but please double triple and quadruple check its fish tank safe before dropping it in there.