Iffy 30gal Stocking.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Themaniac19, Apr 7, 2017.

1. T

Themaniac19 Valued Member Member

Tell me what you think:

This is from me combining two of my tanks to save on some space. If it doesn't work out I'll just keep the two tanks separate. If it does work out, could I add a couple guppies in it? I know they produce a lot of waste, but I'll be doing 75-50% water changes weekly (more so because it seems hard to change any less, and it hasn't stressed out any of my other animals too much). Also, I have a different filter, but I forget that type. If filtration is a concern I'll upgrade.

I'll also be adding some shrimp and a few snails (say three mystery snails), but I assume that their bioload will be negligible.

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

That thing is pretty cool! Never seen it before :)
    I would like to add that as far as I know this is not true "Note: Albino Bristlenose Pleco needs driftwood." I have BN plecos in all of my tanks and I started checking into if they needed it because I didnt have any wood in my cichlid tank - I could find nothing that confirmed they did need it and many different sources stating they did not need it. SOME plecos do, and as far as I can tell BN is not one if them.

3. OP
    OP
    T

If they do they likely need the bacteria that grows on the wild to aide in digestion. I'm assuming that they eat a high cellulose diet and can't naturally digest it. This is also likely why lots of otos die in captivity, that and/or refeeding syndrome. I use a half of a coconut in all of my tanks with suckers anyways.

4. OP
    OP
    T

Bumping this back up.

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I won't add anymore fish

6. OP
    OP
    T

Okay. So the fish that I already put down would work out fine?

7. aquatickeeper

In my opinion, yes.

8. OP
    OP
    T

Okay thanks. The filter's an aqueon quiet flow 30.

9. aquatickeeper

Just one aqueon quietflow 30 won't be enough for a 30 gallon tank. This filter is 200 gph, but you must have a minimum of 30*8=240 gph to cycle your tank. Adding a Aquaclear 20 will give you enough filtration

10. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would probably swap the pearl gourami for a DG or honey gourami which would stay a little smaller. I think you are pretty well stocked.

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would take out either the platy or the swordtail as they can interbreed.

12. OP
    OP
    T

They're both female.

13. OP
    OP
    T

I form emotional bonds to my animals, so I'm going to keep the pearl.

14. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Ah, OK..... Never mind then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice