If you've used Tetra Safe Start, please take this poll

When you used Tetra Safe Start, did it cycle the aquarium as stated?

• Yes: zero ammonia at the end of a week or sooner

Votes: 89 55.6%
  • No: I ended up having to use an alternate cycling method

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • Sort of: Took longer than a week, but was faster than a normal cycle.

Votes: 53 33.1%

• Total voters

haedra

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
O hey, I'm the first vote.

The "long version" complete with dates and results of my experience with it is listed here:

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
With my 32 gal it took longer then a week but with the smaller ones it's taken a week.

ray_sj

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Great idea for a poll! Now we can see how effective it really is, at least among fishlorians.

Cordi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
never had a problem with it.

if your tank doesn't cycle in a week then your filter is probably too small for the tank, or doesn't filter enough water (which is normaly the case with all Package Tanks Deals which give you a filter that can only filter the amount of water you have in your tank once an hour, or with internal filters).

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
worked all 4 times for me....contemplating trying it on my new 75 gal Im getting this weekend as it would be the biggest tank ive tried from scratch...I have 110% faith in this product ....although one warning from yesterday, make sure you check the shelf life date on EACH bottle...anything over a year old, DONT BUY !!

pinkfloydpuffer

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just used the marine version.... Instant Ocean BioSpira... does my vote still count? Cause it helped my cycle, although I did use it after it'd been like 3-4 weeks cycling with almost no changes. After that it was just a week and a bunch of waterchanges...

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good to know, PinkPuffer, but for the purposes of this poll (which is TSS specific, due to a conversation in another thread), I'm not going to count it. Did you vote, or did you wait for a response?

Thanks for all the input so far folks. ;D

Dozey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have not used TSS so I did not vote. I would only use TSS to recover from a crashed cycle or in an experiment to cycle fishless with it. Since TSS exposes fish to ammonia and nitrites I wouldn’t consider it as an alternative to a fishless cycle given the opportunity.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
never had a problem with it.

if your tank doesn't cycle in a week then your filter is probably too small for the tank, or doesn't filter enough water (which is normaly the case with all Package Tanks Deals which give you a filter that can only filter the amount of water you have in your tank once an hour, or with internal filters).
This is probably what happened with my 32, my canister filter wasn't working properly for a few weeks (one of the valves on the hoses was jammed and wouldn't open fully).

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, I have a vote. So subtract 1 from Yes
Thank you for the heads up.
The only reason I'm being picky is that a previous discussion made a distinction between BioSpira and TSS.

Edit: As of this posting, we have five votes of "it worked as stated," two of "it didn't work" and three of "it sort of worked." Further, a couple of the people who voted "it worked" have used it on multiple tanks and had it work every time. Pretty good track record so far, no?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you for the heads up.
The only reason I'm being picky is that a previous discussion made a distinction between BioSpira and TSS.

Edit: As of this posting, we have six votes of "it worked as stated," two of "it didn't work" and three of "it sort of worked." Further, a couple of the people who voted "it worked" have used it on multiple tanks and had it work every time. Pretty good track record so far, no?
if used properly, and many things can be listed as to proper or improper use im sure, it WILL work ...and also, if the date on the bottle isnt expired, or even close to being expired, it WILL work...now, ive only used it on 55 gals or smaller ...ive used it for after having fish and learning about it, to start up tanks, and for a mini cycle(now i have used media and TSS)...when using it, ive had ZERO passings...so it does what it says it will do IMO and experience...I adore the product and am so very glad its been reformulated to be able to do the same as bio spira without the expense, and refrigeration ..and I feel so firm about this product because ive tried cycle, stresszyme, biozyme, stability, nitrobax and dr tims without the same result ( I was desperate when cycling with my oscars LOL)

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
just finishing up another tank ...went from 20 gal long to a 75 gal for my africans ...although I did use the gravel and the small filter on the 75 gal, i was worried that wasnt enough bacteria for such a bigger tank as the 75 so I put a big bottle of tss in with it and the fish last tues...just finished testing after 6 days (and i tested daily since tues) and ive had a 0-0-5-10 all week ....IMO I think I would have had a mini cycle without the tss...(so not enough established bacteria for the bigger tank to not have one)

plecofan

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
works well... ammonia down to 0ppm in about a week ... 55 gallon took 15 days... stable afterwards... fishless cycling "recomended" takes 6 or 7 days if you have sufficient filtration...

DannyMac

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just added TSS to my 36 gallon tank. I had added fish before the tank was totally cycled apparently. I had been doing daily water changes to offset the high ammonia. I will keep everyone posted on the cycle after a week or so. Hopefully it does what it says because I'm sick of the water changes!!:

Annadvn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I used this i got my ammonia up to 4ppm of ammonia before i added the TTS and within 24 hours the ammonia was down to less than 1ppm and Nitrites were on the rise from zero.

Well within a week my cycle was complete and i didn't have a mini cycle when i added 15 fish all at once!

I love the product and will definitely use it again when needed!

Anna

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom