If you use stress coat + PLEASE read.....

Shawnie

After ccb04 suggested a month or so ago about Stress Coat+ doing nothing for nitrites, ive done a ton of research, calling Mars Fishcare (makers of stress coat+ ) and emailing them, and this is something I feel should be posted and listened to...I'm not sure where the original information came from but this is something I am going to suggest and certainly everyone can make their decision...

Stress Coat + does NOTneutralize nitrites a single bit and it only neutralizes ammonia to the extent that it locks up a tiny bit of it that is produced after chloramines are neutralized.....here's the exact email I received and again, its a personal choice but I would suggest using Prime or another product that you are SURE neutrailizes like we all thought Stress Coat+ did..

"Dear Ms. *****

Thank you very much for contacting us regarding our products. All of your comments and questions are valuable. We use your feedback to create the most effective line of aquarium and pond products available.

Shawn Stresscoat+ will not neutralize or remove nitrites. It does lock up small amounts of ammonia but usually just enough to cover ammonia produced after chloramines are neutralized.

If you have any other questions or wish to discuss this further, please email back or give us a call at 1-800-847-0659.

Best Regards,
Nathan Fekula
Technical Service and Research
Mars Fishcare

50 EAST HAMILTON ST
PO BOX 218
CHALFONT, PA 18914-0218

serissime

Thanks for the heads-up, Shawnie. Yet another reason for me to **** Prime

Lucy

Shawnie, thank you so much for doing this research.

I agree, mary.

CHoffman

Hmmm..This is great info to know. Thanks shawnie for taking the time to find out the truth and posting it here. I never have had an ammonia or nitrite problem but I used the stresscoat plus as a security blanket, it made me feel better knowing that if something did happen it would keep me covered. I guess I'll have to switch to Prime as my security blanket..lol..

Shawnie

prime or amquel + seem to be readily available around here..not sure with anyone else...and you are welcome I just hope everyone that relies on it for detoxing, realizes that its not doing what ALOT of us thought it was doing....still wish I could remember the member who brought it up awhile ago so I could thank him.....

ccb04

Shawnie said:
After a member (I wish I could remember who) suggested a month or so ago about Stress Coat+ doing nothing for nitrites
Shawnie, you might be referring to me from this thread:

sirdarksol

Thanks for checking this out and sharing the info with us, Shawnie.
Also going to make my requisite plug for Novaqua and Ultimate, both of which are equivalent products to Prime.

Shawnie

ccb04 said:
Shawnie, you might be referring to me from this thread:
Indeed it was you ccb!!!! Thank you for pointing that out and since April 10th (that date of the post) ive been calling and emailing to get answers LOL

and SDS, anything that detoxes like prime is great to list.....

although I will state, I still use Stress Coat+ as my water conditioner as I don't have ammonia and nitrite issues but I want to stress to not recommend it for ppl cycling or having an issue with them...

dancerhas

oooh! Massively interesting tidbit. I switched to Prime because it was so highly recommended and because it's SO much more economical than SC+. This makes me even happier about my decision. Props to you Shawnie!

Nate McFin

Hmm...could have told me one day sooner. LOL
Just bought a bottle yesterday. Story of my life. HAHA

Shawnie

its FABOOO for water conditioner nate...so don't return it..it just doesn't do the job for ammonia and nitrites

ccb04

Shawnie, you did all the hard work. Thank you!

The fact that SC+ detoxes essentially just the ammonia released by the breaking of the chloramine bond certainly isn't a bad thing.

More recently, I've been using either API Tap Water Conditioner or NovAqua+ since establishing my tank with TSS ... though I do keep Prime on hand.

carlos413

Prime or amquel + for me, I prefer PRIME cuz I trust Seachem to the fullest

pinkfloydpuffer

Thanks for looking into that, Shawnie!

I'm glad I didn't trust StressCoat+ to do that for me all along Prime all the way for me.

Aquarist

Thank you Shawnie for the hard work and information. I have to declare I'm hooked on Amquel + and Nova Aqua +. I've used them all for years. (and Immune Plus). Have a good day today everyone!

jdhef

Great job Shawnie! Now I want to apoligize to everyone that I recommended Stress Coat+ as a detox to.

Shawnie

jdhef said:
Great job Shawnie! Now I want to apoligize to everyone that I recommended Stress Coat+ as a detox to.
ccb was the one who deserves the thanks!! I wouldnt have done a thing if I hadn't read that info...I think a lot of us have recommended it... and if you read your bottle, it does say it will detox ammonia...but I think its meaning from the tap water ...

sirdarksol

Shawnie said:
and if you read your bottle, it does say it will detox ammonia...but I think its meaning from the tap water ...
That's what the response you got from the makers of SC says. It likely has the same chemical as Prime et al, but only a little bit.

It's so awesome that many of these companies are open about the products they make. I've seen situations where the company will send a letter that is made to seem like it's answering the question while it's really dodging all of the important issues, but on the forum, we've had many times that someone has contacted a company and received a straightforward answer.

IIIHawKIII

thanks to both of you for the sleuthing! so which one of you is sherlock and which one is holmes?

just got a bottle of this, but I got it for the aloe stuff.

I think it is kinda crazy how much you have to add. i'm a prime guy....ahahaahha....a guy who uses prime, that is, and i'm used to using DROPS as opposed to 15 mL.

Shawnie

IIIHawKIII said:
thanks to both of you for the sleuthing! so which one of you is sherlock and which one is holmes?

just got a bottle of this, but I got it for the aloe stuff.

I think it is kinda crazy how much you have to add. i'm a prime guy....ahahaahha....a guy who uses prime, that is, and i'm used to using DROPS as opposed to 15 mL.
ccb has to be sherlock..the smart one ;D I'm holmes that did the diggin...(only because I didnt read the bottle properly LOL) but ccb made me totally curious and whenever someone says something that ive not heard about, I have to investigate further...and I agree hawk, you are a "prime" kinda guy

acidpope

When I first started my tank I used Stresscoat +, but it covered the equipment, decor and air lines in my tank with a film and when I moved them it became free floating and left hanging pieces on the objects. It didn't hurt the fish any, but it was unsightly. I figured it was the Aloe in it. I stopped using it and switched to Aquasafe by Tetra which worked fine. Then I started ordering Prime from Dr. Foster & Smith because I didn't see it at the local Petco. Finally one day when I was browsing in Petco I found Prime in of all places the salt water conditioning area which I never looked in because I have Freshwater fish. So if you don't see Prime at Petco, check the salt water conditioning area and they'll more than likely have it. Not sure why it's not on the shelf with all the other water conditioners. Prime is the way to go though.

Lucy

acidpope said:
When I first started my tank I used Stresscoat +, but it covered the equipment, decor and air lines in my tank with a film and when I moved them it became free floating and left hanging pieces on the objects.
My post is off topic, so I apologize but thanks for this acidpope.
I had this happen too and was almost positive it was from SC+. A few members have asked about it and I mentioned I thought it was from the water conditioner.

Nate McFin

I use stress coat + on occasion as I am trying to get rid of the bottle I had. I haven't noticed any slime in the tank but when it dries in the lid you sure can see it and it is quite slimy. Fish are slimy too so it makes sense that it would be too as it is supposed to rejuvinate the fish slime coat.

orisue

Your awesome lol

izzyfishfarmer

Thanks for your hard work shawnie I know I bit late but thanks anyways

Kathy Potts

We live in the country and our water comes from a deep well, so therefore, no chloramine additives. So, would the Stress Coat+ work a little more efficiently on ammonia if it doesn't have to expend itself on the chloramine? I trust the other products mentioned work the best. I will have to try them. I mainly use Stress Coat because of its replacement of slime coat and electrolyte loss reduction. The Aloe Vera in it really draws me to the product. Aloe Vera definitely has some pros going for it.

fresh water

good job guys great info

BB3Lions

So are you advocating we should not use Stresscoat+ at all or continue using it for water changes & buy Prime and use that as another tool?

A link to the product Prime would be appreciated.

Regards

BB

btate617

BB3Lions said:

Regards

BB

Brian

Lucy

BB3Lions said:
So are you advocating we should not use Stresscoat+ at all or continue using it for water changes & buy Prime and use that as another tool?

Regards

BB
Welcome to FishLore. We are not advocating anything. Simply passing on some information to the members

btate617 said:
Thanks Brian

BB3Lions

Cheers Lucy,

I got mine through the post today and will be carrying out a 50% water change either tonight of tomorrow morning. Is it worth popping a few drops of stress coat + in as well as the Prime (huge 5ltr container, shame to waste it)..

BB

Lucy

If you're cycling with Fish, I'd personally just use Prime. There's really no reason to use two water conditioners.
If you're cyled and just using it to condition the water, either one would be fine.

Tweak222

Thanks Shawnie! I still enjoy stresscoat as it has helped me perk up a couple of sickly fish in the past! it really does do some good! I use amquel for neutralizing ammonia and such but with bigger water changes that may be stressful for the fish at times I like to use stresscoat and it doesn't smell as funky as amquel never had prime though! I'm gonna keep stresscoat in my arsenal!

allibobs

I use stress coat when I have injured fish BUT Prime is used at all water changes.

I have had some really nasty injury's on fish and seen them recover using stress coat to swear by it for damaged scales and such BUT I also trust prime 100% with ammonia.

Both products have there place.

Lucy

I think with so many posts in this sticky, we're losing the reason for it.

For a while several members were under the impression that Stress Coat+ neutralized nitrites and were recommending Prime or Stress Coat+ for minI cycles or cycling with fish.

After doing some research this was the conclusion:

Shawnie said:
Stress Coat + does NOT neutralize nitrites a single bit

JamesCain80

Thanks for the research, I have been waiting for an email myself to to clarify what you just did. Much appreciated.

Claire Bear

Shawnie thanks for the great information. I wonder if using stress coat along with prime would offer any additional benefits. I feel that I am spending way to much just on chemical in my freshwater tanks! I have a 55 gallon and a 36 gallon that I feel are for now fully but not over stocked with all the water changes that I am doing! The fish appear healthy and are not hanging out on top plus I am getting good readings.

Lucy

HI claireputput welcome to FishLore!

You do not need to use both.
One or the other is fine.

If cycling with fish, Prime would be the way to go, imo.

Claire Bear

Thanks, I had purchased both so wasn't sure if I should be using both or if they would somehow counteract each other. I love the Prime as the fish are much more active after water changes with the Prime. I am feeling much more confident Lucy and thank you.

BrendaL

Great to know since when I got my set-up that is what Petsmart recommended and said it would insure I wouldn't have a problem with water quality. Luckily I have well water so no Chlorine/Fluoride/Chloramines.

ravenlady13

I keep StressCoat around in case of injuries because it contains aloe and promotes slime coat. I also add it when I add new fish to ease the stress of a new environment. I pretty much thought that was what it was for, really.

Adam55

Long live Prime!

benharmer87

Thanks. That's exactly what petsmart told me to use.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom